blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

blinkx Reviews

Full-time Part-time

"Good first job, can learn a lot."

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

Pros

Some great people, exposure to a rich technology platform. They deal with all pieces of advertising, including display, video, mobile, programmatic, and SOE.

Cons

Poor communication across business units makes it hard to see the Big Picture. Company seems to change direction frequently, but not decisively.

Advice to Management

Give more autonomy to mid-level management. Focus on communicating effectively, and getting buy-in from employees.

Mar 26, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback! We are excited you recognize the awesome team here at blinkx and our range of products. We strive to provide each employee with growth opportunities within the ... More

"Culture of fear"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry, some very talented people are still at the company.

Cons

The CEO leads by instilling fear, just like what was said in the last (real) review. No one will stand up to him, and if you do, you will find yourself out of a job. Which is a shame, because the CEO knows the least about the company and what we actually do. A good CEO welcomes different opinions and surrounds himself with smart people who are trusted to lead the company. CEO surrounds himself with people who tell him what he wants to hear. He makes things personal and no one respects him or his get rich quick schemes.

Advice to Management

Stand up and be counted. The employees deserve that.

Mar 19, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. While we were happy to hear you recognize the awesome, talented employees we have here at blinkx, we were disappointed in reading the rest of your review. Blinkx prides ... More

"Empty Promises, Empty Chairs"

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

There are still some good people who still work here. A small handful anyway. Work hours are pretty decent. You don't often have to work weekends.

Cons

Nobody is happy to come to work anymore. And many have stopped coming permanently, they quit.

Communication is terrible from the top down.

Morale is in the toilet, and for valid reasons. It's pretty unanimous. Unless you believe those reviews posted by HR to try and stem the onslaught of the inevitable.

They try and ask us to write them too. We all know you're trying to pad reviews here on Glassdoor. We don't appreciate it. Trust me, we want to write good reviews. Give us some reasons too. Then ask. You won't have to when that time comes.

The execs who drove this company into its current dire situation, blame everyone but themselves. They seem perplexed. They can't fathom why on earth they see constant failure. Even though, the reasons stem from their own actions. They don't invest in their people. They don't provide resources. They don't provide the time.

Salaries fall short. They promise things and don't deliver. The culture sucks, we don't even have any. HR seems to think a newsletter is all it takes.

Advice to Management

Stop with your get rich quick schemes. We all love a quick dollar on occasion, but your employees deserve stability. The type of stability that only comes with proper business models and great products. You try and rule by fear. You push unrealistic deadlines. You kick your employees when we're already down.

Guess what. We're not afraid. Those of us left are just trying to turn things around for the other people who work here. You've used your axe to cut people, but soon it will be your positions if you don't change.

Trust the people you have employed. Let them do what they do best. Stop derailing everything they're trying to accomplish. Your decisions did this to the company. Your lack of understanding continues to plague this company. Your lack of communication is felt every day. Your lack of trust is known by all.

CHANGE ALREADY!

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Know that management understands and appreciates the value, hard work, and dedication each employee brings to the company. We are extremely ... More

"The latest reviews speak for themselves"

Pros

Great snacks. Nice view. People are generally nice and smart.

Cons

Like others have said, there is no leadership and the company and CEO have very questionable ethics. It's like a labor camp here. No recognition for working countless hours to deliver projects.

Advice to Management

Start leading and get a new ceo

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you recognize the incredibly awesome and smart employees we have here at blinkx! However, we are disappointed to hear that you feel management is not ... More

5. "Online Media Marketing Associate"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work with your teammates openly, have room to share ideas. The room to discuss changes and make changes on your own.

Cons

Company's values and no room to grow

"Shady, probably illegal, definitely immoral."

I worked at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good for senior engineers. Casual place without too much supervision or micro-management. Free food and free coffee.

Cons

It's hard to comprehend how this company is still alive. There are no actual products or services being produced here.

You can actually "feel" the awfulness on people's faces, like everyone has just given up on improving the world.

Jan 29, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that we offer a robust line of products and work tirelessly to improve quality. If you would like to discuss further please email blinkxcares@blinkx.com

"While even the highs weren't very high, the lows are a bottomless pit of unhappiness"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One thing blinkx has always had going for it is good people, even as it grows through acquisition. Somehow (most) of the people remain amazing. I don't know how the company has retained so many for so long, although we're definitely starting to see some of the lifers trickle out. And I don't think it's just people coming together to make the best of a bad situation--the majority of people are truly dedicated and talented and fun to be around.

Benefits are good. There are some great managers and some of the business leaders know what they're doing.

Cons

It's good we tend to get along, because we see A LOT of each other. The CEO puts in 24 hour days and expects everyone else to, too. Unfortunately most people aren't compensated at his level, so sorry everybody--you're kinda working for free! Everyone complains about the low pay.

At a certain management level, no one takes a real vacation. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is the expectation pushed down from above.

To make things even more entertaining, we have major attrition and nothing's going to change anytime soon. Like I said, people are abandoning this sinking ship and none of the execs are doing anything about it.

Advice to Management

You know why people are leaving? Because no one likes being one person doing the job of three (except maybe the CEO). Pay us more, respect our lives outside the work day, and stop pretending blinkx is a start up. It WAS a start up. Now it's a raggedy collection of loosely organized businesses held together by spit and despair.

Jan 27, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear you recognize the rockstars we have here at blinkx! We are always striving to be better and will take your comments into ... More

"Great perks, some instability"

Pros

Small office with a relaxed atmosphere and great group of employees. Challenging work and an opportunity to learn a variety of areas

Cons

Some instability, including high turnover. Not a lot of room for advancement

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for the review. Blinkx does provide great benefits to its employees and we are glad you agree! Our company has become more efficient and strategic in the past year, which comes with changes ... More

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with flexible work life balance, which is good for my family life. Good pay and benefits. I really feel part of the team, and it was clear my work is appreciated and my hard efforts do go rewarded.

I have found my team leaders/management to be both responsive and helpful. So am not sure why so many reviews here are so negative.

Blinkx has many exciting products and is being well lead by senior management (even if the current mood of investors is very negative towards the company, it is not so for those of us working here).

Cons

Expect employees to work hard. So if this is not you then you may find life hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I expect our hard work will bear fruit shortly.

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you feel part of the team! We strive to create a great team that works together. Our challenges make us stronger and as you ... More

10. "Great company going places"

Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really dynamic place, it is clear there is something going on behind the scenes. No one overly concerned about the latest results and are looking at the future.

Cons

The snacks are not that good, you coudl always do with longer holidays and I wish I had more options because they are going to be worth loads soon

Advice to Management

Keep it up we are all behind you. The best company I have ever worked for and I started Apple witht hose other two guys.

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! You are a blinkx rockstar with over 10 years tenure! Blinkx is committed to continuing to develop a work environment that is diverse, collaborative, and encouraging ... More