blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

blinkx Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The company was complicit in advertiser fraud, and optimizing the sale of fake impressions was a core element of their business (in 4 reviews)

"Don't waste your time or talent"

Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The snacks are a perk, the person ordering does her best to come up with variety while keeping some favorites and fulfilling requests. Admin is always smiling and helpful to everyone. Office location is nice, but seems to be getting crowded again. The health insurance is good, not a lot of out of pocket expenses.

Cons

There is no one leading the company! I asked human resources a question a while back and the answer was wrong, I was referred to a guy who isn't even a company employee but a contractor that works with the accounting department. I wasn't sure why an accountant was supposed to help with HR issues except upper management is either never around or doesn't know what they are doing. The budget for upgrades and training seems to be non-existent. Despite years of asking for it we still don't have a company match to our 401k.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, engage with them. When you come in the office don't run to the nearest empty office and hide out. Why do you spend money flying all over if you're not there to interact with the employees? Wouldn't it be a better use of money to stay in your own office if you're not having a dialogue with the people working hard to make sure you get your big bonus? Raises and bonuses were delayed because you were too busy playing CYA after a blog came out that told people we work for an unethical company. We know it wasn't wrong, we are the ones working on the products. You can change the names of the divisions all you want but unless you change the products we're still the same company with the same leadership.

Jul 14, 2014 – Human Resources

Dear Employee, I am sorry to hear about your experience at blinkx. We try hard to make this a great place for employees to come and work. That said, I know we are far from perfect. We are always ... More

"Used to be a nice place to work, not so much anymore."

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, decent healthcare, flexible schedule. That's really about it, I would say people, but the smart ones are running for the door.

Cons

Prepare to be underpaid if you come work here. Blinkx promises to pay a 'bonus' instead of paying employees fair market value, they make up the difference with this 'bonus' and then fail to pay it, it's a scam. Forget about moving up or improving your career, when I asked about the promotion I'd been promised for years, I was told point blank that it would NEVER happen. How's that for leadership?

Advice to Management

Stop having meetings where you just brag about how much money you're making and actually pay your employees, setup a 401k match, hire people to fill the quickly emptying seats, and also figure out a single unifying plan for the company instead of the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks approach. Stop issuing stock options to only your senior executives and start issuing them to your employees that actually get work done again. Not that the stock is worth anything anymore.

Aug 5, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and comments regarding employment at blinkx. We take this forum and comments made, very seriously. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More

3. "Culture of finger-pointing and bad-mouthing"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing business sector, gives a leg up in job market w. high-demand for mobile experience

Cons

Management is universally not respected internally or externally, engineering talent is completely eroded, nothing ever gets built or delivered.

"Not worthy of your talent"

Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, vacation time.

Cons

Lack of vision and leadership and desperation in product development are the norm at this place. At one point management said the only message from the CEO was "revenue needs to go up, and costs need to go down." That is not leadership. Basically it seems that management has a suite of old, disliked products that are considered annoyances to most users and Internet companies and instead of trying to innovate a new direction on the model, they are simply patching and reshaping the old stuff in a desperate attempt to keep them ticking. It's a dying strategy. Most of management's role seems to be to watch graphs and say "fix it now!" when the numbers aren't what they want.

Advice to Management

Leadership comes from the top, not trying to force your employees to come up with "get rich quick" ideas or patching your already disliked products to squeak out one more month of life. Punishing your best employees by taking away their bonuses that they depend on is a bad idea. Recognize the talent of your employees and their dedication to getting it right, not just looking at numbers and screaming. If this is the way you want to do it, you would be better off just acquiring whatever works in the market, and outsourcing its maintenance until you run it into the ground, and then look for the next one.

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Blinkx strives to ensure a positive work environment for all of its employees and takes your constructive criticism very seriously. If you’d like to discuss further ... More

"Pathetic"

Pros

Stocked kitchen, industry standard benefits

Cons

Micro-mismanagement, slave drivers, unorganized chaos, project managers are non-existent, understaffed due to high turnover rates, prioritization is questionable, unrealistic pay, shady company

Advice to Management

Bring on more directorate level staff; listen to your employees who have experience over those that truly do not have a clue; be realistic about hiring personnel; respect your employees and pay them appropriately; actually hire some project managers and get your priorities straight

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your experience with our company was unfavorable. We would be happy to discuss your concerns, please contact blinkxcares@blinkx.com .

"The latest reviews speak for themselves"

Pros

Great snacks. Nice view. People are generally nice and smart.

Cons

Like others have said, there is no leadership and the company and CEO have very questionable ethics. It's like a labor camp here. No recognition for working countless hours to deliver projects.

Advice to Management

Start leading and get a new ceo

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you recognize the incredibly awesome and smart employees we have here at blinkx! However, we are disappointed to hear that you feel management is not ... More

"Empty Promises, Empty Chairs"

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

There are still some good people who still work here. A small handful anyway. Work hours are pretty decent. You don't often have to work weekends.

Cons

Nobody is happy to come to work anymore. And many have stopped coming permanently, they quit.

Communication is terrible from the top down.

Morale is in the toilet, and for valid reasons. It's pretty unanimous. Unless you believe those reviews posted by HR to try and stem the onslaught of the inevitable.

They try and ask us to write them too. We all know you're trying to pad reviews here on Glassdoor. We don't appreciate it. Trust me, we want to write good reviews. Give us some reasons too. Then ask. You won't have to when that time comes.

The execs who drove this company into its current dire situation, blame everyone but themselves. They seem perplexed. They can't fathom why on earth they see constant failure. Even though, the reasons stem from their own actions. They don't invest in their people. They don't provide resources. They don't provide the time.

Salaries fall short. They promise things and don't deliver. The culture sucks, we don't even have any. HR seems to think a newsletter is all it takes.

Advice to Management

Stop with your get rich quick schemes. We all love a quick dollar on occasion, but your employees deserve stability. The type of stability that only comes with proper business models and great products. You try and rule by fear. You push unrealistic deadlines. You kick your employees when we're already down.

Guess what. We're not afraid. Those of us left are just trying to turn things around for the other people who work here. You've used your axe to cut people, but soon it will be your positions if you don't change.

Trust the people you have employed. Let them do what they do best. Stop derailing everything they're trying to accomplish. Your decisions did this to the company. Your lack of understanding continues to plague this company. Your lack of communication is felt every day. Your lack of trust is known by all.

CHANGE ALREADY!

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Know that management understands and appreciates the value, hard work, and dedication each employee brings to the company. We are extremely ... More

"Culture of fear"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry, some very talented people are still at the company.

Cons

The CEO leads by instilling fear, just like what was said in the last (real) review. No one will stand up to him, and if you do, you will find yourself out of a job. Which is a shame, because the CEO knows the least about the company and what we actually do. A good CEO welcomes different opinions and surrounds himself with smart people who are trusted to lead the company. CEO surrounds himself with people who tell him what he wants to hear. He makes things personal and no one respects him or his get rich quick schemes.

Advice to Management

Stand up and be counted. The employees deserve that.

Mar 19, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. While we were happy to hear you recognize the awesome, talented employees we have here at blinkx, we were disappointed in reading the rest of your review. Blinkx prides ... More

10. "Useless support and sub par WP plugin"

Pros

When they have it right it's only 75% right

Cons

Poor support with a don't care attitude, lousy plugin updates that take months to correct, discriminatory policy towards publishers, luck of knowledge of publisher account, poor ad compensation.

"Corrupt Business run by charlatans with no clue"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

Pros

To manipulate the appearance employee retention during acquisition, they were willing to shell out decent cash to aqui-hires, even though they had no idea how to make use of our talent.

Cons

Horribly disorganized rat maze where everyone was constantly plotting against each other to get a leg up. The company was complicit in advertiser fraud, and optimizing the sale of fake impressions was a core element of their business. As the industry began to come down on this type of fraud, people got laid off and the company tried a number of acquisitions, rebrands, and "pivots" to protect the goldmine that is video arbitrage – which they had used to syphon millions of advertiser dollars in a pyramid numbers game that had everyone lying to their boss all the way up the chain. Google "blinkx Edelman" – job-seeker beware - not every dollar is worth the paper its printed on.

Advice to Management

Hire good lawyers, your unscrupulous business practices will catch up to you.