blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Worst Job Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

Cons

Terrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Advice to Management

Management needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

"incompetent senior execs"

Former Employee - blinkx in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - blinkx in San Francisco, CA

Pros

cool idea, online video search

Cons

No regard for employees as human beings. No communication from senior management of corporate strategies - even though there weren't any real missions or strategies or goals they didn't even convey whatever foolish plans they were conceiving. Didn't trust employees, listen to them, or properly utilize their skills. Just head down into their own ultimate destruction. Very odd work environment, no one really seemed to like each other. The MO seemed to be share nothing and if you're forced to, share less than will help your colleague. The attitude trickles down from senior management. Whatever was happening in reality didn't seem to ever line up with whatever they're reporting to the world. Nothing worked as it was supposed to and results appear to be very inflated.

Advice to Management

Can't really help. You don't know what you don't know. I just don't understand how people like that get to those positions. It's one of those situations where failure is the norm and no one keeps track of anyone else.

"Indifferent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fast paced, great co-workers, interesting projects. Can make an impact to the direction of the company if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Total lack of respect from management. Lots of mis-truths, white lies, broken promises, public humiliation, indeifference, lack of leadership and indecision.

Advice to Management

Show some respect.

"Blinkx, A Regret that I can't afford again."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Compensation
    Nice view
    Web 2.0 space
    Free lunches

Cons

No Effective decision making
    Keeping employees always in pressure
    There seems to be no effective planning coming out from executive management.
    Unprofessional attitude towards employees coming out from Executive management.
    Lot of work that comes with stress because of no planning.

Advice to Management

Reorganization is necessary at executive management where more skilled managers and senior executive needs to be put in place. Also, value your employees.

"It's incredible blinkx is still around"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I could have stared out the window for hours.

Cons

I couldn't wait to jump out that window.

It's amazing that you can find some of the most despicable people in the industry, lump them together, and put them at the helm of a software company. There is absolutely no upside working for blinkx. The CTO is inept and has no management skills. The CMO keeps the fake hype floating, the COO isn't afraid to show preference certain folks, and don't get me started on the CEO. Wow, he needs to go to therapy to fix his feelings of inadequacy.

Advice to Management

Take some business and management courses at the local community college.

"I'd hesitate to call it "management"."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amazing location.
    Fair compensation.
    Friendly coworkers.
    Stimulating work in the field of scalability and data aggregation.
    High employee turnover means you can probably get a job there without much difficulty. Might be able to get a referral bonus if you could convince a friend to work there for a year. They might not be your friend anymore afterward, though.

Cons

A complete lack of transparency on any level. Management would commit to specific deadlines long in advance but not tell engineering until days before. Maybe it was a motivational tactic; always keep your employees near an impending crisis and they'll work harder. Just promoted confusion and stress.

No visible product roadmap. Products, to the extent that there were any, were specced out on the spot by looming managers. No one had any idea what we'd be working on the next week let alone the next month. Much more time was put into the press release schedule than the engineering schedule.

Loud, bullpen-style office. No separation between PR, engineering, management, etc. Meaning often management will shout something all the way across the room and expect a response, distracting the hell out of everyone in between.

Many, many more fictitious demos and presentations than actual products. I'd call the driving force of Blinkx software development 'lie-based engineering' - hack up some demo for a product that might take months or years to complete properly, show it off to someone with money, then in the rare chance they actually bite, deliver the goods piecemeal until said customer gets fed up and stops paying. If more engineering time could be spent on the core product than these demos, Blinkx might actually be a usable website or search engine.

Shouting matches in the office from senior management. Multiple firings began with a manager calling someone "(strong expletive) stupid" repeatedly in front of the entire bullpen and ended with the employee escorted out that same day.

Most of the engineering team is hired straight out of college so they can pay the least amount possible to people too naive to know that a real company should have organization and direction. Meaning there's no senior engineers to fall to for mentoring or advice.

Showy displays of lame bonuses or gifts to certain employees at meetings. Eschewing a holiday bonus because "most would prefer a holiday party". (I don't know who comprised this 'most').

Advice to Management

If at all possible, learn what the concept of respect is and start showing it to your employees. Just because you're paying someone doesn't entitle you to swear at them in front of their colleagues, passive-agressively jab about job performance, and keep them in the dark.

But realistically, never manage a company ever again. You don't deserve to be in charge of anyone or anything and to pretend otherwise is doing our economy, planet, and sanity a disservice.

"THE worst possible place to develop your career."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There is no good reason to work for blinkx, you will be expected to work long hours for peanuts.

Cons

The company is propped up like a fancy magic act. Lots of smoke and mirrors. They promise software that can turn the audio in a video clip and make it searchable. The software they use for this, from their parent company Autonomy, does not work. These people employ more lawyers than actual engineers. Suranga is bi-polar, some days he's pleasant, most days he's a jerk that will use his Cambridge education to insult you. The CTO Matt is better suited to be a comedy writer than to lead any engineering team.

Advice to Management

Find a bridge and jump off it.

"Is it the same company they are reviewing?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent remuneration
    Opportunity to work at the cutting edge of technology
    A great bunch of people
    Good career development and a sense of progression

Cons

Bitter ex-employees posting whacked out reviews (see anywhere on this page)
    The free Friday lunch (nice idea but could be better!)
    Long hours

Advice to Management

More transparency as to long term plans would be nice and better PR. The product we are building is awesome but it's a bit demoralizing when few people I meet even know what Blinkx is.

"If Only They Had a Clue!"

Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Once building and location (but not actual office space), hot industry, cool technology.

Travel; for my role, face to face meetings were required and encouraged, so I was on a plane every week which meant I was NOT in the office (I'd do anything not to spend my day in that place).

Cons

Executives had ZERO experience in online video, and or online advertising, before starting blinkx so they don't know what they are doing, or what customers want. Additionally they have never truely sold enterprise software (which I was responsible for doing, even though 99% of my colleagues didn't know what I did), so Executives truly have no idea how to sell and close business. Every Quarter there would be at least one deal in which Executive team would get involved in a deal, and totally screw it up to the point where the prospect/customer would stop taking and returning calls! One time an Executive said to me; "Well you're the expert, I've never sold anything before". I sat there thinking, 'so why are you responsible for the sale's team then? And, why am I asking you on negotiating tactics then?!' Read their bios, they are complete fluff.

In every sales environment I've been in, it is expected that the sales person tailor the standard presentation to their personal style and to the audience they are presenting to. At Blinkx any deviation from the corporate deck was not tollerated. My colleauge in Ad Sales went to a client meeting with an Executive, and presented some of his own ideas. After the meeting nothing was said about the custom/new slides the rep has presented, but rather went back to tell the CEO about it. When the rep got back from his second meeting, the CEO came up to him, and asked to see the deck he had presented with Matt. The rep did so and when Suranga saw the custom slides he began yelling at the rep in front of the entire office. He didn't pull him into the conference room, but just stood their and yelled. So not only does the Executive team have zero tact in dealing with employees, but they also has no concept of collaboration, creativity, and empowering his employees to make decisions. This was an experienced Ad Sales rep, and in fact he told me later that the prospect and said they like his ideas best of all. When the concept was sold later, Marketing sent a note out saying "they" had come up with a new product- the rep got no credit.

What I found totally amazing was that the engineering team had no idea what my job was. My role was responsible for bringing in REVENUE, and yet non of the engineers had a clue that Blinkx sold software. They thought Blinkx simply sold ads on blinkx.com. How do you not tell your employees that your company sells software?

Each person who has worked for this Executive team, probably has at least a dozen stories of how inept, clueless, rude, and disrespectful, this team is. They probably also have tons of stories of how there is a lack of collaboration, trust, communication, and visibility into corporate goals, product road map (they don't even have a product road map), and overall lack of team.

Advice to Management

Despite the all of these "glowing" reviews on this site, and the incredible employee churn, you will probably never change your ways. You think you know what you are doing and everyone else is wrong. Keep it up!

"run away."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nice location, beautiful office, with a great view. Good catered lunches on friday.

Cons

Blinkx has a "work pit" style floorplan, where the engineers sit between senior management, and sales people. There is a constant buzz of noise and talking on the phone, doors slamming, and a "honking" television hooked up to the server monitoring system, so the engineers get blasted by a honk, every 10 minutes. It is impossible to "get in the zone" and code.

Blinkx managers like to create what I call "artificial crunch time" - which is an arbitrarily produced type of pressure , where managers think they can squeeze faster, higher quality work out of employees by trying to constantly keep engineers in "crunch time" mode. " We are on a tight deadline, we need something for our clients to ' play with' over the weekend (friday at 1pm) .," every single friday. This type of management is effective every once in a while, but not every single day - engineers go straight to apathetic mode.

There is a complete lack of planning, project tracking, and specifications on products, because everything needed to be done "yesterday." While I have been at the other end of the spectrum, where projects end up in meeting and discussion hell, and I agree with the agile development philosophy, it only works when there is full transparency and respect.

Respect - Blinkx has an interesting way of purposely disrespecting their employees, as if intimidation and unreasonable boot camp style hazing can produce loyal, effective employees. Employees are constantly threatened with their job security.

Transparency - Everyone is purposely kept in the dark, and only partial information is given to each employee in a project. There are NEVER meetings, NEVER. Managers literally go around to each member of a project and give partial information. This is not a result of bad communication, this is purposely employed as a tactic to improve productivity.

Advice to Management

Its all about respect. Thats all it comes down to. Everything else would "work" if there was a level of respect. At least pretend to try and gain the respect of your employees.

There is constantly an amazing, talented, extremely high quality team of designers and engineers at blinkx. Yet only a few stay more than 6 months. The team is talented and passionate enough that, if given freedom and time, can produce exceptionally great products with no pushing. Creativity is not encouraged at blinkx.