blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

blinkx Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales/Ad op Intern"

I worked at blinkx (Less than a year)

Pros

People within the Sales team were kind and great, free snacks, Sales/Account manager took couple of us interns out to happy hour.

Cons

Not much opportunity to go anywhere within the company.

"Ok company to start your career with"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok company to start your career with

Cons

there is no training of any kind

3. "OK Company"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were great, the offices in Montreal were very nice.

Cons

Very unorganized, the IT department had no clear goals so it was a little messy to work there.

"Great Possibilities, Poor execution"

Pros

Hot space
    Interesting technology
    Good buzz in industry

Cons

Poor execution on products
    Terrible treatment of employees
    Poor communication- starting at management
    Bogus PR: papering the industry with meaningless press releases
    Lack of support, yet all the obligations on accomplishing things

Advice to Management

It's time to clean house at the management level at blinkx, I don't think any reputable person who can contact people via sites like this or social networks will take a job at blinkx unless they are desperate.

"A decent place to start, but not to grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

Cons

Information is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Advice to Management

Fear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

"Dead end"

I worked at blinkx full-time

Pros

Good pay and ok benefits

Cons

Some rotten managers and technology that is not exciting.

"Not worth your time"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free snacks are nice, and there are some occasionally smart people in the mix at the mid level management and below. I gained some solid experience on both how to run and not run A/B tests, and their analytics, tech, and most of the product people, again, at the mid level, are wicked smart and great to work with.

Cons

The outings a have dropped in spend and the pay is terrible. During my time there I made less than my spouse, who's a teacher. Upward mobility has a lot of dangling carrot methodology- they'll constantly say they want to give your a raise or promotion, but won't actually give it to you. "Products", which is really just adware for the most part, are kept limping along, and they'll take ads or distribution from the seediest of companies. Most testing and feature generation is more of a "this product does it and I think it's cool" situation. Nothing really pushes the bar or seeks to get ahead of the competition. Executive leadership is pretty bad- lots of poor decisions and no focus, with a very strong "I'm the decider and I'm right" attitude.

Also, these reviews are really inflated, possibly by execs.

Advice to Management

For the mid level area and below, know when you have a good product idea and actually make it and test it properly- don't just shove it out there. You can make a good product through testing and iteration.

To the execs, you're focus on profits and acquisitions does not make good products, and is a waste of resources. Profit are made through good experiences that people like, not buying up more dead weight that happens to make money right now.

"You'll gain experience here.. because you literally have to think on your feet and fix everything that breaks each week."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is great, making your own hours, even though you're expected to work weekends... The office culture is split into two. Once someone has pass the 4/5 year mark, you're in with the "good ol boys" group. Free snacks in the kitchen... nothing but junk food. Want to learn a new skill in a hurry? Great because there's always something that's been broken for weeks...years... and it needs to be fixed now.

Cons

Please read the comments below the last 3. True wisdom is there and please run.. RUN. You're on your own after a few months. Not much help or praise is given, a half smile "good job" here or there or "thanks". Then back to work. You're paid next to nothing, and they know it- this is something they're proud of! It's an office full of desperation.... While you look at your co-workers in pity knowing all the hard work they put in for the less than measly pay given. Expect yearly cuts in any bonus, mbos, etc. Forget about an increase in salary or growing with the company in any way shape or form.. except for when others start to leave. They won't hire someone to replace them.... That's now your responsibility. Expect to wear many hats and deal with "that's not my job" and "we have to get this done so stay late" types in the office.

Advice to Management

Validate your employees hard work. Pay them what they're worth. Be loyal to them and the favor will return.

blinkx Response

Jul 10, 2014 – Human Resources

I am sorry you are having a negative experience at blinkx. Over the past 10 years we have worked tirelessly to make this a great place to come to work. We are extremely proud of the company and... More

"While even the highs weren't very high, the lows are a bottomless pit of unhappiness"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One thing blinkx has always had going for it is good people, even as it grows through acquisition. Somehow (most) of the people remain amazing. I don't know how the company has retained so many for so long, although we're definitely starting to see some of the lifers trickle out. And I don't think it's just people coming together to make the best of a bad situation--the majority of people are truly dedicated and talented and fun to be around.

Benefits are good. There are some great managers and some of the business leaders know what they're doing.

Cons

It's good we tend to get along, because we see A LOT of each other. The CEO puts in 24 hour days and expects everyone else to, too. Unfortunately most people aren't compensated at his level, so sorry everybody--you're kinda working for free! Everyone complains about the low pay.

At a certain management level, no one takes a real vacation. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is the expectation pushed down from above.

To make things even more entertaining, we have major attrition and nothing's going to change anytime soon. Like I said, people are abandoning this sinking ship and none of the execs are doing anything about it.

Advice to Management

You know why people are leaving? Because no one likes being one person doing the job of three (except maybe the CEO). Pay us more, respect our lives outside the work day, and stop pretending blinkx is a start up. It WAS a start up. Now it's a raggedy collection of loosely organized businesses held together by spit and despair.

blinkx Response

Jan 27, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear you recognize the rockstars we have here at blinkx! We are always striving to be better and will take your comments into... More

"Lack of Direction"

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building
    2. Catered lunch (but only once a week)
    3. Some people who work there are very cool
    4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons

1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why.
    2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction.
    3. YouTube is just superior in every way
    4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries.
    5. Stock options are worthless
    6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

Advice to Management

There is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.