canfield scientific Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Canfield

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work"

Pros

It is a privilege to be able to wake up excited to go to work every day. At Canfield you will be surrounded by very intelligent, hard-working people who truly act together as a team and support each other like a family. You will be given the flexibility to work creatively in your role, and encouraged to think outside the box to get the job done. I am fortunate to have a manager who is very approachable and constantly motivates our team to succeed. On top of that, Canfield is a global leader in our space and very highly respected in multiple industries.

Cons

I have had nothing but positive experiences working at Canfield. It is truly a great company with a lot of opportunity.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at canfield scientific full-time

Pros

Canfield is a great company to be a part of! I have been with the company for over 5 years and have seen the company grow. If you are dedicated, hard working, and follow through you will succeed here. I feel that not only my supervisor but the others in Management will always take time to help out the employees and listen to them. I would not have stayed here this long if it was not a great company to be a part of!

Cons

The medical benefits changed this year and became significantly more expensive.

"-"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Morristown, NJ

I worked at canfield scientific (More than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot about clinical research trials and get to work with state of the art photography equipment

Cons

Poor management/leadership. Employees are overworked and underpaid with little recognition from upper management

"An absolutely horrible place to work"

I worked at canfield scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work itself is interesting and exposes you to clinical trials and the greater pharma/CRO industry.

Cons

I find it very hard to believe that Canfield Scientific all of a sudden has positive reviews...hmmmmm. I smell dishonestly from miles away. It appears like the owner and management noticed all of the awful reviews for their company and decided they better counteract with writing fraudulent positive ones! Outrageous!!!!!

This place is an absolutely awful place to work. The management is non-existent and training/growth opportunities are something you will never be given at Canfield.

Good, hard-working employees are fired on a whim and very frequently. Development plans and performance reviews do not exist so there is no way to measure your success. Hearsay is the way of the world at this company and employees are put last. Those who are in charge are longtime friends of the owner, Doug Canfield, and are not qualified as leadership.

When you join the company you will feel welcomed by an elaborate holiday party or a seemingly lovely volunteer cancer walk that the company partakes in - but do not be fooled by what may seem like a nice environment to be in. This company has great ideas with their products but puts their people dead last on their agenda.

If you have integrity, stand clear of working at this company. Look for a company without a glass ceiling and without a revolving door. Look for a company with leadership and that puts their people first.

I now work on the client side at a major pharmaceutical company. I would not hire Canfield as my vendor as they do not care about their people so how could they possibly value me as their client?!????

Advice to Management

Management workshops. Development plans. Open communication. Don't work from the top down and let work fall downhill. Restructure upper management and provide line managers with training to empower their employees and to value your people first.

"A Stalwart Revolutionary in Clinical Research Imagaing"

I have been working at canfield scientific full-time

Pros

If you want to be a part of a company that is consistently the pack leader in development and tactical application of clinical imaging then Canfield is an ideal environment for you. Doug Canfield implements himself into the projects and development so that his employees have a standard to go off of, a trait that can often be lost in a fast paced growing company. In terms of pay and benefits, Canfield can be seen as a rarity to those that know the rigors of job force. Most of the company is highly organized which allows for relatively smooth communication and workflow, but it is this last statement which leads me to the cons.

Cons

Like I said most of the company is well organized, then there are certain departments which still function like is 2002, which can be surprising seeing as the company sets industry standards. Having the self determination and drive to push yourself can only get you so far because within those departments supervisors lack the needed communication skills to convey the proper information to the employees and/or to other managers and Doug about happenings and expectations of jobs. Plus there is the company gossip, which I know you get in any job, but from my personal experience this is the worst I have ever seen, think of an all-girls high school with paychecks. So if an extraordinary amount of whispering doesn't bother you then more power to you.

Advice to Management

Manager training in effective communication skills would greatly improve the work standards and environment. You have too many "closed-door" managers that allow a lot of details and employees to fall through the cracks. You're moving to a new facility how great would it be to have the entire company moral reflect like that new building

"Lots of opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ

I have been working at canfield scientific full-time

Pros

It's a small company, which means you have the ability to get lots of exposure to many facets of the business and exciting projects that actually get somewhere. People that work really hard and present good ideas seem to get noticed by upper management. There isn't any bureaucracy that gets in your way of getting things done like in a larger company. If you are willing to put in the work and brain power, you are rewarded with salary increases and more responsibility. You get to work with some really excellent, knowledgeable, smart people who have a can-do attitude. It's a really innovative company that continues to grow.

Cons

Because it's a small company everyone is usually stretched pretty thin and over-committed on projects. Unless you are willing to put in the work and look past doing things outside your job description, being limited on resources and difficult to meet deadlines, you won't do well. This can also mean that it's difficult to maintain a work-life balance. The company does not put enough value on developmental and training opportunities. If you want to grow, there are lots of people to learn from, but you have to proactively seek out SME's or learning opportunities. The company will not take an interest in your development and upper management is not given the bandwidth to mentor others. Decisions can be overruled by upper management without warning or without input from stakeholders. Commitments to projects are made outside of the context of other projects or input from stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Leverage the knowledge and expertise in-house to provide learning opportunities to those that are anxious to learn and grow. A few seminars or training sessions per quarter in which people share their knowledge with others could be a step in the right direction. Skills training provides value for both the employee and the company, invest in management training, customer service training, leadership training, and sales training. Ask for feedback-employees that are heard, and are invested in the solutions to company problems, are more satisfied workers. Move away from the autocratic leadership style.

Jan 3, 2016 – Doug Canfield, President

We are in an exciting and dynamic market where Canfield is the leader and dominant player. We deliver customized innovative imaging solutions serving a diverse range of customers in highly regulated ... More

"Industry Leader"

I have been working at canfield scientific full-time

Pros

The company is respected by research organizations and medical practices, both for the clinical services offered and the advanced photography equipment and software we design and sell. Senior managers are very well known and trusted by the most important industry leaders. All products and services are leading edge, the most advanced in the industry. Customers, industry partners, and even competitors would agree that Canfield is the industry leader. Of the dozen or so markets where we compete, Canfield products or services are considered the standard. The pace is fast and the work is extremely interesting. Most managers work in a collaborative, get it done way. I have a lot of fun here.

Cons

Although the company is growing fast, new management and supervisory positions don’t open that quickly. So, like a lot of technology companies, very strong performance along with relentless personal initiative is the best way to get ahead. A lot of employees don’t appreciate that and think an above-average performance is all that’s needed to stand out.

Advice to Management

More coaching to employees so they have a better understanding of how to advance. More cross training might be helpful as well.

Dec 7, 2015 – Doug Canfield, President

Thank you for both the compliments and advice. We provide a lot of opportunity for individuals to grow within their position, learn new skills and take on more responsibilities to prepare them for ... More

"Clinical Trial Associate"

Current Employee - Clinical Project Associate in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Clinical Project Associate in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at canfield scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and good benefits. Good experience on the workings of clinical trial and photography. This department (Clinical Trials) is split into teams of about 3 or 4. Every week the department meets to tell each other what they are working on and problems they run into on clinical trials.

Cons

Poor management, high turnover, manager does not directly train their team members and then complains when work is not do to their standards; you are always pushed off the someone else.

Advice to Management

Managers need to properly train your staff the way you want things handled and to not say "go after another Clinical Trial Associate to show you." If a manager has had 4 different associates under them in the past 2 year, it might be time to look at the manager, not the associates.

Dec 9, 2015 – Doug Canfield, President

Thank you for your candid remarks, we appreciate your honesty. We have taken notice that your concerns about training are shared by a number of other current and former employees, and we take ... More

"RUN the other way"

Pros

They have been in business a long time.

Cons

Straight up crazy owner/president and upper management in the company. No qualms about being PC or moral. Fire people on a whim.

Advice to Management

Get a soul

Feb 9, 2016 – Doug Canfield, President

We are in a competitive and dynamic market that pushes us to be innovative and very responsive to our customers. We work hard to communicate that commitment during our interviewing and hiring ... More

"Please change the way employees are treated and provide management training."

Former Employee - Clinical Project Lead
    Former Employee - Clinical Project Lead

I worked at canfield scientific (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with are good people and are like your second family.

Cons

Favoritism shown towards certain employees. Always felt like your hard work and care for your job never mattered if you aren't one of the favorite employees. Different rules for certain employees. Never shown respect. A great company, but things need to change quick before more great hard working employees that care about their job and the company leave.

Advice to Management

Please invest in management training. Put your phones away while in meetings and pay attention.

Dec 15, 2015 – Doug Canfield, President

Thank you for sharing these remarks, and, even though they are disappointing, they are important to us. It is not clear from your review what type of favoritism you perceived, but any perception of ... More