comScore Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
comScore CEO Gian Fulgoni
Gian Fulgoni

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Open culture and good work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• This is highly discouraging when acclimating to an already very stressful work-environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance depends on your team and your vertical (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours, became a bit bureaucratic (which was not always the case) (in 14 reviews)

"EVP"

I worked at comScore full-time

Pros

some good people but that is it

Cons

mis managed from top down, too many legacy employees, no new thinking

Apr 24, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review. We'd love for you to edit this with any more specific information so that we can address any particular concerns you have.

"Good Collegues"

Former Employee - Product in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Product in Reston, VA

I worked at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy work place
    - Excellent Product and engineering teams

Cons

- Low on pay
    - Not a fast growing company

"top management to review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

flexible hours, good balance work/private life

Cons

lack of global organization and long term vision

Advice to Management

don't pay too much top Managers and do better to retain real talents

"Not Much More Than a Resume Builder"

Pros

The benefits are probably the best thing this company has to offer.

Cons

There is no advancement for a lot of employees. When I asked for career outlook, my manager just about laughed in my face. A few people carry the weight of the team while others get away with just showing up. Those that deserve to move up never do. Instead of promoting within, they hire new staff not even considering those who have been there for years producing results. They do a great job of making those who work the hardest feel worthless while praising those who do absolutely nothing for the success of the company.

Advice to Management

Ask employees how they feel about their leaders. Some "leaders" are not even leading and aren't even qualified to be in their positions.

Dec 5, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your candid review. We're very concerned that a manager would reply this way when faced with an employee trying to expand their career options. We do not condone nor stand for this type of... More

"Apply at your own risk...."

Current Employee - Accounting Professional in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting Professional in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and beverages and the occasional free lunch. Additional benefits vary based on your department and location.

Cons

Managers are often moved into positions with no management training due to their tenure. There is a tendency to set goals and tasks by managers providing little direction to team members. The only goal is to get the work completed with no questions asked. When confronted with obstacles such as system limitations you are responsible for circumventing obstacles regardless of the difficulty within the 40 hour work week.

Our business is information yet nothing is shared amongst teams and feedback is not welcomed. I was recently brought on a project post-implementation and told that I was now responsible for managing it. My input was never considered despite the impact this project has on my work and the months of planning and meetings that I did not attend.

The company professes to have a collaborative team environment yet the work primarily falls on those who can do it. People who cannot/will not do the work are usually those held in favor by management. Hard work and a dedication to work are not appreciated.

The benefits are inconsistent throughout the company. Everything is written with a caveat and interpretations vary even with Human Resources. The company policy is unlimited leave with managers discretion but individual teams put a cap on the amount of time you take which varies within departments. The same can be said about the policy about working from home.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the current structure and make management training a priority. Address the policy inconsistencies throughout the company to establish uniformity.

Dec 5, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you've had this experience. We have realized the gaps in our training of current managers and those moving into the roles. While we disagree that there... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Free soda, coffee, tea, candy, and peanut butter sandwiches, if you like that sort of thing. Clean office. Nice location downtown near lots of great food options, especially if you like mediterranean food. Pay is decent, slightly above local market rate for senior people.

Cons

This is the only place I've ever worked that actually made me want to stop being alive.

I worked in the Portland office, which was acquired by comScore when they bought Rentrak. The place was a mushroom farm with a pretty bad/depressing atmosphere to begin with. The company had low morale from years of poor management and was basically a palace of frowns, and an annoyingly meeting-heavy culture did not help. It was also the least diverse place I've ever worked. Almost entirely mopey white guys.

The comScore acquisition made everything much worse. Some of the perks went away, many of the resources needed to do our jobs became very scarce (cloud servers, etc), they made all of the Linux-using engineers switch to OSX and Windows, had a pretty oppressive "we own all your thoughts" employment agreement, and many engineers left because of it, myself included.

All of this might have been something worth putting up with if the company was putting Humans on Mars or curing cancer, but at the core of it, comScore is a spyware company. Their business model is based on making it easier to deliver more targeted ads to people and maximize the revenue from those ads. So, every day you go to this mushroom farm where you're doing nothing to make anyone happy or improve the world with barrier after barrier is set up in front of you, and it chips away at you little by little until there's nothing left.

Now that I don't work there, I'm not sad anymore. Please do not work at comScore. It will crush your soul. Heed this warning, it may just save your life.

Advice to Management

Shut down the business and go home. You are providing nothing of value to the world. You are wasting the time and energy of some very smart people who could otherwise be making the world a better place.

May 16, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your candid and colorful review. We'd think that most employees here don't share your sentiment. We're not sure how long you stayed after the merger with Rentrak, but obviously there are... More

"Not a great place to work"

Pros

the salary is pretty good

Cons

Not a great place to work

"run far far away"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore (More than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance
    some SQL skillsets
    cannot think of any

Cons

managers hide information about the product
    nothing new to learn after 6 months
    annual layoffs
    rumors everywhere
    full of politics

Advice to Management

fire the unqualified ppl
    only promote those who know how to manage ppl to manager level

Apr 26, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for leaving a review. As we've addressed before, we definitely DO NOT have annual layoffs, and have (with proof) refuted this in the past. Yes, of course things happen from time to time where... More

"Annual layoff again!"

Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is well regarded in its space.

The engineering and product teams are shining stars of the company

Good Work life balance and gender ratio.

Cons

So comScore laid off 70 employees in 2016 February last week. ComScore did the same thing in 2015, 2014 and 2013. (Now that is 4 years in a row)

It is one thing to fire employees in order to remove under performing ones (similar to what Microsoft does with stack ranking). But it is totally another thing to call them layoffs, when they happen annually in February like clock work.

The only reason a company should go through annual layoff is when business environment is terrible or when a company is managed terribly year after year.

If annually layoffs are a norm, at least call it for what it is. Have a formal policy of firing employees every February, this way employees can know whether they are on track or off track for February 'layoffs' every year.

Advice to Management

Demoralizing for employees who see their colleagues leave every year.

Mar 11, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to post a review; we genuinely appreciate it. While we indeed did have a small reduction in force this February, we do not have an “annual” layoff as you’ve described... More

"NO MORE RENTRAK"

I have been working at comScore full-time

Pros

Rentrak has been purchased by comScore. Rentrak no longer exists.

Cons

70 people were let go.