comScore Reviews | Glassdoor

comScore CEO Gian Fulgoni
Gian Fulgoni

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, became a bit bureaucratic (which was not always the case) (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management seems to generally be of poor quality, though this most recent round of upper management seems OK (in 10 reviews)

1. "Data Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at comScore as an intern

Pros

nice location and generally friendly people

Cons

except you to do a lot yourself with little support, not an overall organized intern program

"Inconsistent Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good perks - unlimited PTO, summer fridays where you leave at 2, free snacks and soda, good work life balance

Cons

In my experience I had a manger that micro-managed and had zero interest in growing my career. However, I knew managers on other teams that were great. Some teams were really collaborative while others were extremely difficult to work with. Instead of feeling like we were all working towards a collective goal, I frequently felt like teams were competing and pointing fingers.

If you're interviewing, I would make sure to figure out if the team/manager has a collaborative mindset.

Aug 8, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for writing this review. We appreciate your candor. One of the major initiatives we have underway internally focuses solely on building managerial skills. This is both for our new managers... More

"good business, but under bad management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at comScore full-time

Pros

interesting and good projects, was in good position in competition, many talented colleagues

Cons

not clear about other departments, but top engineering managers are not competitive. They simply don't have visions to build constructive culture for teams. People who are specialized in "political" engineering, could have promising career here.

the new CEO is not bad, but I don't believe he (or his top management team) can make enough changes to turn it around soon, because nepotism has been part of the engineering team's culture for a long time. They should have hired greater top managers from some great companies earlier.

Advice to Management

This company should have been one of the greatest if it were managed by a better team. The new CEO is good. Top managers who are able to build good cultures should be brought in, instead of promoting from internal candidates. The company needs some great changes from top to bottom.

4. "It could be so much more."

Former Employee - Data Analyst
    Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fact that it could be so much more is one of the pros. It's in a great place in the industry to do a lot.
    There's plenty to learn about the industry and as a data analyst you are pretty hands on with the main data streams and can if you reach out be aware of everything new that's happening.
    Fantastic place to start your career, fire hose of information about digital media and you do learn a lot, very fast.

Cons

"The everything new that's happening" doesn't happen fast enough and comScore is often behind the curve. Sales bemoans the lack of movement and you can't blame them.
    Bureaucracy? If you're the really aggressive kind then this might not be the place for you. Things move at a deliberate place and most managers are unwilling to share responsibility so you're position in the totem pole is always clear. Approachable yes? True leaders, No. Micromanagement is rampant across teams from what I saw. When people realize they've hit this ceiling they move on and that's what you will notice across teams.
    Pay is moderate, not bad but nothing to write home about.

Advice to Management

Get more nimble and have managers in place that are more willing to share the spotlight.

May 2, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for the comments on your experience at comScore. One of the major programs we've implemented for 2017 is focused solely on improving manager capabilities here at comScore. We've always been a... More

"Peter-Principled Mid-Management Needs Vast Evaluation with Potential Re-Structure; Clearer Objectives Must be Addressed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: I should like to express that these statements are regarding the former Rentrak-office and specific to my former team, and not completely reflective of many decent people at comScore (multiple locations), and are certainly not representative of higher-level management that comprise Reston, VA. I met and worked with quite a few great people, from both local and remote capacities.

Unfortunately, this merger cause comScore (and not Rentrak) to have this posted review, though events occurred during pre-post merger. I do have confidence in the current CEO and also for the path of the company and its future endeavors. Nevertheless, these statements must be addressed for an earnest, completely sincere insight from a highly unpleasant experience.

Work schedules are flexible. Hours are Parking is plentiful and free, and coffee/tea are complimentary.

Many people are nice enough, but most are caught up in their own "too busy to assist/can't be bothered"-personas. This is highly discouraging when acclimating to an already very stressful work-environment.

Some of the company events/happy hours can be very fun, and there seemed to be an honest effort to bring forth more of a community with other teams, but a many can be very unfriendly and unapproachable, especially outside of their cliques.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant and those on the radar are visibly propelled, while others (even with years of experience) are seemingly kept in their positions, without much room for growth/mobility, because of "client load." I believe that most didn't perceive this to be noticeable, but I could see this pattern almost immediately: very frustrating to those looking to have career growth within the company.

Logistically, the work-stations are beyond micro for movement/uncomfortable, equipped with obnoxious, operating-room-style, blaring fluorescent lighting. Also, the office has extremely poor HVAC, with very cold air CONSTANTLY BLASTING down on mine and other team-members work-area. After 5-10 notifications (including both verbal and written) to multiple individuals were still ignored, and also contributed to several work-days missed due to upper-respiratory-infections/flu-like symptoms, all shared in my department- not exactly a wellness-promoting atmosphere.

More distractingly, certain external team members frequently felt the need to casually butt-in to conversations (including via multi-media/inner-office chat software) when this was not appreciated nor wanted, especially regarding their political views (very inexcusable). Furthermore, others in higher-level positions also saw comfortably fit to use pejoratives for descriptions of individuals, and unprofessionally reprimanded those in other teams right next to my work-area at full-volume, with such colorful language, included. This was not only extremely distracting, but so ultimately rude; I seriously wonder how some of these people are/were able to retain their employment, though cronyism helps, especially as several decided against stepping forth as more than likely no consequences would have transpired for such unseemly behavior.

Even after the merger, still retained was the highly-visible, insular behavior (I detected it within the first week), thoroughly spewing with nepotism- an unwelcome and discouraging factor, being one of many limitations experienced:

For example, A former co-worker/team-member and I both (unwittingly) applied to a different position, where I was given an initial double-talk, perfunctory meeting and was suddenly declined for the position with given a cop-out of: "not having enough experience", but magically.... the other individual in question (whom just so coincidentally happened to have a convenient edge with being a relation to one in a senior position, from another department) and was ultimately granted an interview, after my rejection. If my experience was originally in question, then why bother submitting my information (if at all)? Don't waste mine or others time.

Finally, the main con is with regard to the lack of proper communication and direction within my former team. Long story short, another team-member was given every allowance/carte blanche excuse, despite poor-performance, though I later had to endure being reprimanded (this was disingenuously referred to as a "chat"), for allegedly "not pulling my weight" for my client activity, even AFTER having other said person's clients thrust upon myself (in addition to my original client-load), while equally being thrown under the bus by my other colleagues. It went so far as to myself being accused of calling off sick "for no reason," along with highly-inappropriate implications expressed, despite legitimate illness/documented medical absence (with also ALL of the time being approved, per managerial discretion). Another person's contribution/performance was also even thrown up to me, further implying that my work-ethic and dedication were not on par with other individuals.

Beyond Intolerable and Unprofessional. In my near 10 years of work experience and all of my years of schooling, I honestly must say that this was the first and only time my integrity was ever in question; This was a real slap in my face.

It was such a relief to finally leave, most especially for just my well-being, and also for my skill-sets better used elsewhere!

Advice to Management

Be communicative and have actual career objectives expressed for staff if employment retention is an actual goal, and don't blame time/busy-schedules for lack of prioritization. All the Happy Hours in the world won't compensate for horrendous/absent management.

Also, please get off of the those "not important enough" high-horse and get into the 21st Century and have a proper, Work-From-Home option to those that legitimately need it, and stop immediately believing that it wouldn't be productive." This option should not be hierarchically reserved for simply the more alleged "senior" employees.

Finally, above all else, Peter-Principle is not a valid or legitimate reasoning for promotion/vertical mobility. Not everyone is a leader, despite whatever skill-sets are ostensibly possessed. Deliberate and blatant comparisons of others work-ethics and/or aptitudes is unacceptable and should not be celebrated nor tolerated.

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than ideal. While we can't speak to some of these personal scenarios that you describe... More

"Uneven"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

[This review is coming from a former Rentrak employee, working out of Portland.]

- There are interesting problems to solve, in a variety of areas. No shortage of work to be done.
    - Smart, engaged co-workers

Cons

- There are high-level directives from top executives but daily tasks seem unfocussed. There doesn't appear to be clear direction from mid-level management.
    - An aging technology stack is kept working with minimal investment in upkeep. Scattered efforts to improve or replace our stack have failed to coalesce into real change. Bugs can exist for years without efforts to squash.
    - Many of the best engineers from Rentrak have left since the buyout.
    - Upper management seems to have a severe case of ADD, distracted by the latest flashy thing. They don't seem involved in the day-to-day work.
    - 401k match and benefits are pretty weak for the industry and location.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality software, whether that means fixing or replacing existing application. Instead of chasing the short-term dollar with custom client work, use your developers, working together, to create better software that delivers to all of our clients.

"Amazing talent held back by upper management"

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at comScore full-time

Pros

The boots on the ground are amazingly talented, passionate, and hard working.

Cons

The executives and management teams have one set of rules for themselves and another set for the people actually doing the work.

Department managers, when not working remotely or on vacation, work in silos and repeatedly undermine each other's work.

Advice to Management

Realize the talent turnover can be alleviated. Be present and understand the project.

"Account Clerk"

Former Employee - Account Clerk in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Account Clerk in Reston, VA

I worked at comScore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

comScore offers a lot of benefits: Group Outings, Gifts, Free Food, In-House Health Fairs, Reflexology & Massages, Work From Home, Summer Hours, and more.

Cons

Stagnated Advancement, Demands to complete assignments not outlined in job description without additional compensation, Overtime called "Additional Hours" where you work for less than normal pay.

Advice to Management

Value the opinion and assignments of your direct reports.

"Things a little rocky right now."

Pros

Smart people
    Great benefits
    Diverse locations
    good work/life balance

Cons

Company under investigation and the top execs are possibly in hot water for getting multi million $ stock grants based on dubious accounting that the Wall Street Journal called into question. This has been widely reported.

Advice to Management

Have the top execs give back the stock options awarded to them based on questionable accounting. Restore our confidence in the leaders of the company.

"Values Data Assets over Employees"

I have been working at comScore full-time

Pros

Work on some pretty interesting projects with an industry leader in online analytics

Cons

Data assets and Data Analysts are valued much more than Insight Analyst/Consultants and it shows from the top down in both pay, recognition, and company prioritization

Aug 24, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review on the company. We're glad to hear the work is interesting for you, as that's a major driver of attracting employees to comScore.

We'd disagree that there is any sense of... More