comScore Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
comScore CEO Gian Fulgoni
Gian Fulgoni

Pros
  • good work-life balance, good place to learn technical skills (in 27 reviews)

• This is highly discouraging when acclimating to an already very stressful work-environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance depends on your team and your vertical (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours, became a bit bureaucratic (which was not always the case) (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Exposure to Big Data and large scale problem solving. Leadership in most parts of the company is pretty strong.

Cons

Leaders of different parts of the organization rarely agree and often pursue objectives independent of one another. Hours can be long, but that is becoming more rare. Change can be slow, but it does eventually happen. Pay is below average.

Dec 20, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for leaving a review! We're proud of the work we do, and the impact it has for our clients. Also, our employees have a chance to work with some of the most important technology out there ... More

2. "Was fun till it got bigger"

I worked at comScore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, high performance look and feel

Cons

Bureaucratic, Out of new ideas

Advice to Management

Need new executives from companies like Google

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review. We're very proud of the entrepreneurial spirit here at comScore. We've recently made some changes at the top or the organization, in case you were not aware. We're bullish on ... More

3. "Peter-Principled Mid-Management Needs Vast Evaluation with Potential Re-Structure; Clearer Objectives Must be Addressed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: I should like to express that these statements are regarding the former Rentrak-office and specific to my former team, and not completely reflective of many decent people at comScore (multiple locations), and are certainly not representative of higher-level management that comprise Reston, VA. I met and worked with quite a few great people, from both local and remote capacities.

Unfortunately, this merger cause comScore (and not Rentrak) to have this posted review, though events occurred during pre-post merger. I do have confidence in the current CEO and also for the path of the company and its future endeavors. Nevertheless, these statements must be addressed for an earnest, completely sincere insight from a highly unpleasant experience.

Work schedules are flexible. Hours are Parking is plentiful and free, and coffee/tea are complimentary.

Many people are nice enough, but most are caught up in their own "too busy to assist/can't be bothered"-personas. This is highly discouraging when acclimating to an already very stressful work-environment.

Some of the company events/happy hours can be very fun, and there seemed to be an honest effort to bring forth more of a community with other teams, but a many can be very unfriendly and unapproachable, especially outside of their cliques.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant and those on the radar are visibly propelled, while others (even with years of experience) are seemingly kept in their positions, without much room for growth/mobility, because of "client load." I believe that most didn't perceive this to be noticeable, but I could see this pattern almost immediately: very frustrating to those looking to have career growth within the company.

Logistically, the work-stations are beyond micro for movement/uncomfortable, equipped with obnoxious, operating-room-style, blaring fluorescent lighting. Also, the office has extremely poor HVAC, with very cold air CONSTANTLY BLASTING down on mine and other team-members work-area. After 5-10 notifications (including both verbal and written) to multiple individuals were still ignored, and also contributed to several work-days missed due to upper-respiratory-infections/flu-like symptoms, all shared in my department- not exactly a wellness-promoting atmosphere.

More distractingly, certain external team members frequently felt the need to casually butt-in to conversations (including via multi-media/inner-office chat software) when this was not appreciated nor wanted, especially regarding their political views (very inexcusable). Furthermore, others in higher-level positions also saw comfortably fit to use pejoratives for descriptions of individuals, and unprofessionally reprimanded those in other teams right next to my work-area at full-volume, with such colorful language, included. This was not only extremely distracting, but so ultimately rude; I seriously wonder how some of these people are/were able to retain their employment, though cronyism helps, especially as several decided against stepping forth as more than likely no consequences would have transpired for such unseemly behavior.

Even after the merger, still retained was the highly-visible, insular behavior (I detected it within the first week), thoroughly spewing with nepotism- an unwelcome and discouraging factor, being one of many limitations experienced:

For example, A former co-worker/team-member and I both (unwittingly) applied to a different position, where I was given an initial double-talk, perfunctory meeting and was suddenly declined for the position with given a cop-out of: "not having enough experience", but magically.... the other individual in question (whom just so coincidentally happened to have a convenient edge with being a relation to one in a senior position, from another department) and was ultimately granted an interview, after my rejection. If my experience was originally in question, then why bother submitting my information (if at all)? Don't waste mine or others time.

Finally, the main con is with regard to the lack of proper communication and direction within my former team. Long story short, another team-member was given every allowance/carte blanche excuse, despite poor-performance, though I later had to endure being reprimanded (this was disingenuously referred to as a "chat"), for allegedly "not pulling my weight" for my client activity, even AFTER having other said person's clients thrust upon myself (in addition to my original client-load), while equally being thrown under the bus by my other colleagues. It went so far as to myself being accused of calling off sick "for no reason," along with highly-inappropriate implications expressed, despite legitimate illness/documented medical absence (with also ALL of the time being approved, per managerial discretion). Another person's contribution/performance was also even thrown up to me, further implying that my work-ethic and dedication were not on par with other individuals.

Beyond Intolerable and Unprofessional. In my near 10 years of work experience and all of my years of schooling, I honestly must say that this was the first and only time my integrity was ever in question; This was a real slap in my face.

It was such a relief to finally leave, most especially for just my well-being, and also for my skill-sets better used elsewhere!

Advice to Management

Be communicative and have actual career objectives expressed for staff if employment retention is an actual goal, and don't blame time/busy-schedules for lack of prioritization. All the Happy Hours in the world won't compensate for horrendous/absent management.

Also, please get off of the those "not important enough" high-horse and get into the 21st Century and have a proper, Work-From-Home option to those that legitimately need it, and stop immediately believing that it wouldn't be productive." This option should not be hierarchically reserved for simply the more alleged "senior" employees.

Finally, above all else, Peter-Principle is not a valid or legitimate reasoning for promotion/vertical mobility. Not everyone is a leader, despite whatever skill-sets are ostensibly possessed. Deliberate and blatant comparisons of others work-ethics and/or aptitudes is unacceptable and should not be celebrated nor tolerated.

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than ideal. While we can't speak to some of these personal scenarios that you describe ... More

"Good but be careful not to get stuck going nowhere"

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is an innovative company taking necessary steps to right itself after a bout with not so great leadership. Major competitor in the world of digital audience analysis. The people are smart and invested in the success of the company. Many have been around for years but the company also brings in young talent. Can be a good place to spread your wings if you are aggressive about doing so.

Cons

A lot of smart people sometimes means clashing in an unproductive way, lack of transparency and bitterness. There can be a tendency to silo each other versus working together. It's hard to get a straight answer on the direction in which leadership intends to take the company. However, maybe that will change soon. It's never good to feel unsure. It creates too much tension during the work day. Also, some managers are happy not to present opportunities to grow to subordinates.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and work to build TRUST. Words don't matter but actions do. Invest in the current workforce and know that there is a whole lot of amazing talent that is not being utilized due to ASSUMPTIONS.

Feb 13, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to review comScore. We hear you, and this sentiment, loud and clear. Gian, our CEO and the leadership team have been working double-time to help clear up that direction ... More

"Good place to start your career, but not the best opportunities for advancement."

Former Employee - Client Insights Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Insights Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at comScore (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of clients, relaxed culture, good learning experience in the digital advertising ecosystem. A good company to start your career

Cons

Overall management was rocky, not many opportunities for advancement, lots of red tape. Promotions are given out based on time spent at the company and not what you have achieved.

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review, and for the time you spent with us here at comScore. We've had some management changes in the last few months, and the improvements we are seeing from this change have been ... More

7. "Big Data Software Development"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good infrastructure
    Flexible working hours, may work from home
    Flexible vacation days
    Informal atmosphere

Cons

Planning can be improved, more structured
    Developers often need to support production, which can be stressful

8. "I have just joined the company"

I have been working at comScore full-time

Pros

I have hears there is scope for growth here.

Cons

Low energy in the office.

"Good people but bad management!"

Pros

Few product in comscore have great capabilities. Huge data with scalable product and people work hard to improve as per industry expectation. People here are smart and talented.

Cons

Management at all level are involved in politics. They first see the individual's gain rather than company's overall benefits. Coz of politics at upper level many of the engineers have to loose their job. A big loss to company and they did nothing to sustain their smart employees who have really worked hard. There are times where they could have keep employee from leaving if they have decided to transfer within a team. Fake condolences have given than actual effort to keep them.I have heard so many times from the management that this company is in big trouble and it will be hard to keep up the business that's why they are letting people to go.
    If this is the case then this is big red flag for people who are thinking to come on board in future.

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review, and for the time you spent with us here at comScore. Like many other organizations, we have people leave from time to time. While we appreciate the sentiment that the ... More

"Great potential, bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at comScore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a result of all the issues, the company is restructuring its verticals, its products and strategy. Systems are being updated and integrated. People have more accountability, like it was supposed to be from the beginning. The company seems to be going the right direction when it comes to systems and processes.

Cons

Culture became too rigid. Feels like a government job rather than a tech company. No effort was made to retain a lot of smart people who left after issues continued.

Advice to Management

There is no sense of trust, unity or purpose among staff. Rebuild trust. Motivate employees. People don't come to work to contribute to the company's mission and vision, they work and receive salaries but that's it.

Increase benefits to attract the best talent in the area. Hire one amazing person instead of two average people. Yes, the pay and benefits are comparable to mid sized regional companies in the area, but way below average compared to global companies with comparable goals and aspirations.

Most importantly - rebuild the tech culture. organization is not flat anymore, managers don't listen to subordinate ideas anymore and act like silos..

Jan 20, 2017 – Recruiting

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We've definitely had a rather unusual 2016, as we integrated the business with Rentrak. We realized that there were some adjustments in the ... More

"Company needs better mangement"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I worked at comScore (More than a year)

Pros

Smart co-workers that care about their products

Cons

Terrible management that is temperamental and nepitistic

Advice to Management

Get better people managers! Also provide better compensation and benefits.