comScore Reviews | Glassdoor

comScore Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • good work-life balance, good place to learn technical skills (in 27 reviews)

• This is highly discouraging when acclimating to an already very stressful work-environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance depends on your team and your vertical (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours, became a bit bureaucratic (which was not always the case) (in 14 reviews)

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Free soda, coffee, tea, candy, and peanut butter sandwiches, if you like that sort of thing. Clean office. Nice location downtown near lots of great food options, especially if you like mediterranean food. Pay is decent, slightly above local market rate for senior people.

Cons

This is the only place I've ever worked that actually made me want to stop being alive.

I worked in the Portland office, which was acquired by comScore when they bought Rentrak. The place was a mushroom farm with a pretty bad/depressing atmosphere to begin with. The company had low morale from years of poor management and was basically a palace of frowns, and an annoyingly meeting-heavy culture did not help. It was also the least diverse place I've ever worked. Almost entirely mopey white guys.

The comScore acquisition made everything much worse. Some of the perks went away, many of the resources needed to do our jobs became very scarce (cloud servers, etc), they made all of the Linux-using engineers switch to OSX and Windows, had a pretty oppressive "we own all your thoughts" employment agreement, and many engineers left because of it, myself included.

All of this might have been something worth putting up with if the company was putting Humans on Mars or curing cancer, but at the core of it, comScore is a spyware company. Their business model is based on making it easier to deliver more targeted ads to people and maximize the revenue from those ads. So, every day you go to this mushroom farm where you're doing nothing to make anyone happy or improve the world with barrier after barrier is set up in front of you, and it chips away at you little by little until there's nothing left.

Now that I don't work there, I'm not sad anymore. Please do not work at comScore. It will crush your soul. Heed this warning, it may just save your life.

Advice to Management

Shut down the business and go home. You are providing nothing of value to the world. You are wasting the time and energy of some very smart people who could otherwise be making the world a better place.

May 16, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your candid and colorful review. We'd think that most employees here don't share your sentiment. We're not sure how long you stayed after the merger with Rentrak, but obviously there are ... More

"Low salary, weak benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at comScore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks, nice office in Willis tower, big cubicles, decent hardware.

Cons

They don't pay well to senior developers. Sometimes they give new title just to keep employee. Frequent layoffs aka restructuring.

Advice to Management

Invest in senior developers. College hires can't run company, they need to learn from somebody.

Apr 25, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review, we appreciate it. We're really happy with the centric location of our office in Chicago, as it's really convenient for those coming from the NW Suburbs. We're working ... More

3. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good place to start off your career.

Cons

Employee favoritism and little to slow advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

Focus on Employee Retention.

Apr 25, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate you taking the time. We're particularly proud of our ability to bring in employees fresh off their degree programs to give them an opportunity to begin and ... More

"run far far away"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore (More than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance
    some SQL skillsets
    cannot think of any

Cons

managers hide information about the product
    nothing new to learn after 6 months
    annual layoffs
    rumors everywhere
    full of politics

Advice to Management

fire the unqualified ppl
    only promote those who know how to manage ppl to manager level

Apr 26, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for leaving a review. As we've addressed before, we definitely DO NOT have annual layoffs, and have (with proof) refuted this in the past. Yes, of course things happen from time to time where ... More

6. "Interesting company, good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, casual work environment, flexible hours. If you prove yourself capable, you can have a good bit of influence on the direction of your team's work. The company is always working on new R&D so things stay interesting. Your mileage may vary depending on your team. Co-workers and managers are generally smart and friendly people.

Cons

Teams can get stuck in their ways. There is resistance to overhauling old code, so you can get stuck dealing with hacked-together legacy code and poor design decisions. There is often too much focus on adding new features and not enough on quality. Again, mileage varies by manager and team.

Advice to Management

Improve communication with employees. Make internal transfers more available.

Mar 31, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for leaving this review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. We try to foster an environment where people can shine via their skills and expertise. We're a fast moving company and ... More

"Campaign Manager"

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They adopted a flex vacation policy that can be really nice if you're on the right teams. You have to get manager approval to take the time off and I have had no issues with this.

This job is also somewhat flexible in terms of where you work. You can work from home/remotely within reason.

Cons

The ops department is mind numbingly repetitive and boring.

The salary is not very competitive and there are no bonuses/monetary incentives. The promotion track is at least 2 years and there is not much room to grow/move up in the company.

The actual products are very questionable at times. I've seen them run studies that are in no way valid research - but a sale is a sale to comScore.

Finally, the work environment is stifling. The offices are very segregated based on your department and it feels like high school at times. People are generally not very friendly. There is a lot of bs to deal with the ops department and management can treat you like you're in school with assignments, quizzes and meaningless presentations.The Evansville, Indiana office is absolutely ridiculous and brings down the ops department as a whole.

"It Pays to be a "Favorite""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at comScore full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location is good. There are a lot of restaurants in Reston Town Center and many of those restaurants are good. Free soda is nice. Decent work/life balance.

Cons

Where to start? The entire corporate culture thrives on favoritism. If you happen to be in the In Crowd, you will do very very well here. If you are not, you won't. The favorites are promoted to management positions and are not taught how to manage and are not held accountable for the way they treat their employees. Employees who try to complain about treatment from their managers are ostracized.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Treat your employees fairly and stop playing favorites. If you are going to promote someone to management, make sure they can manage. If you value their skillset instead of their ability to manage, find another way to reward them. Listen when people complain and take a look at why you have such high turnover.

Feb 11, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review. Since 2015, we've been implementing programs to build more effective managers here at comScore. This however, is a process. We'd encourage you to come speak with us, and ... More

"Annual layoff again!"

Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is well regarded in its space.

The engineering and product teams are shining stars of the company

Good Work life balance and gender ratio.

Cons

So comScore laid off 70 employees in 2016 February last week. ComScore did the same thing in 2015, 2014 and 2013. (Now that is 4 years in a row)

It is one thing to fire employees in order to remove under performing ones (similar to what Microsoft does with stack ranking). But it is totally another thing to call them layoffs, when they happen annually in February like clock work.

The only reason a company should go through annual layoff is when business environment is terrible or when a company is managed terribly year after year.

If annually layoffs are a norm, at least call it for what it is. Have a formal policy of firing employees every February, this way employees can know whether they are on track or off track for February 'layoffs' every year.

Advice to Management

Demoralizing for employees who see their colleagues leave every year.

Mar 11, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to post a review; we genuinely appreciate it. While we indeed did have a small reduction in force this February, we do not have an “annual” layoff as you’ve described ... More

"Alright"

Current Employee - Survey Project Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Survey Project Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at comScore (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, allows remote work, flexible schedule for part time

Cons

Work isn't guided very often and can be frustrating at times

11. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at comScore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, people are nice here.

Cons

For a SDE, it a little bit 'too comfortable'.

Feb 11, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review, and the positive comments. We definitely recommend that employees take charge of their career and seek out new opportunities with their managers. We do move fast, and ... More