daniels jewelers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Howard Sherwood

1. "Would be 5 stars if pay was better"

Current Employee - Key Carrier in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Key Carrier in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at daniels jewelers (Less than a year)

Pros

Training has been great but at my new store it has mostly been done by a key carrier (P.W.) whio is very knowledgeable about all things retail and jewelry and has his certs. I don't know why he isn't managing the store. Pay is barely over minimum wage so there is a lot of pressure to get spiffs and commission - hard when it's a new store and people are still learning. People are great, upper mgmt is helpful. No idea about benefits yet.

Cons

Pay is very low for the industry, technology is outdated.

Advice to Management

STEP YOUR PEOPLE UP. Srsly this one trainer/ key carrier (PW, above) is a district or regioinal level manager and has probably kept my dumb self from getting fired more than once, and they are paying the key carriers like 11.00 an hour = barely over minimum wage. If they don't promote, they're gonna lose people fast.

2. "Sales associate"

Pros

Family owned business. Friendly. Great Upper management

Cons

No career growth. Little pay for current times

3. "It was alright"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oxnard, CA

I worked at daniels jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You could make good money, if you pushed!!!

Cons

they didn't give you all the money you deserved as they make you work hard for it

5. "Good company if you find the right store."

Current Employee - Key Holder in Chino Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Chino Hills, CA

I have been working at daniels jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty decent money if you hit your quota. Good for people who are just starting out their life, this job got me my first new car. My workplace environment was great and we all got along. Definitely would recommend getting a job here, it is a family owned company that does have a lot of meetings with all CEO and hirer management present and eager to meet everyone they employee.

Cons

I was lucky to have an amazing manager and DM, unfortunately I hear other managers are not as nice, flexible, and lenient and work place can grow tense. Sometimes they make it really hard to make spiffs or hit quota, plenty of opportunities for extra side money, but so many obstacles to jump through for them.

"I don't recommend it"

Former Employee - Customer Accounts/Telemarketer in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Accounts/Telemarketer in Culver City, CA

I worked at daniels jewelers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a dollar bonus for each customer that goes to the store with your referral .

Cons

The supervisors are nowhere near professional. Never get a raise. No chances on moving up in the company.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage the company.

"Being barely paid to go no where fast."

Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at daniels jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sub-par bonus, yearly family picnic, thanksgiving, and holiday food and party. Hourly employees who bond and support each other inside and outside work.

Cons

No internet access for anyone who isn't manager and for a manager that is challenge.
    Computers are from Steve Jobs garage or local garage sales.
    Micro-management to the 10th power.
    Gray area employment practices think the word "bend".
    Tightly family knitted business, don't cross family or their favorites.
    Weekend work
    Most senior managers or "VP"s are your grandparents age.
    The bus at this company doesn't have any room under it.

Advice to Management

Get with the times, stop being cheap, pay people more than they deserve, can't take it with you when you go. End micro-management and treat everyone fairly without doing them dirty.

8. "love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at daniels jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of great incentives and room for growth. They are willing to hire and train even if you have no jewelry experience. It’s something that a customer can appreciate because instead of hiring just anyone with jewelry experience, they spend the time and money to train qualified people the way they want to represent their company. It is stressful but what job isn’t stressful? Then it wouldn’t be called a JOB it would just be hanging out and getting paid for it. There is always constant training and you receive recognition for your hard work and efforts. You are not just an employee number! They owners know you by name and visit often. Our job is to SELL jewelry. Not to sit around, chit chat, and waste time. It is a great business that comes with long hours but it’s worth it. For the review that the FORMER disgruntled employee wrote.. Please do not misrepresent our company when you broke many policies and lost your job on your own accord. Other pros are employee discounts, vacation time, healthcare, and most importantly stability.

Cons

Because our company is willing to hire and train people who have limited background in jewelry sometimes we do work with questionable characters. Example, ones that would complain about standing and working 13 hour shifts BUT GETTING PAID OVERTIME. Advice to anyone writing a review and is unhappy but currently employed; make a change. Unemployment rate is high in CA give someone else the opportunity to appreciate what you do not. Don’t work over a year (which is a LIE. You only worked 5 months) and dislike your job. A lot of professions require standing the duration of your shift. Welcome to the work world.

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive and we love all the new merchandise we are getting for the holidays

"Stressful"

Current Employee - Sales in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at daniels jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay the over time when you work.

Cons

Alot of hours and constant standing. At least once a month their is a big sale that requires you to work over 13 hours in one day. the managers are also very strict and only care about sales nothing else. Alot of them abuse there position as a manager.

"Talk about shady characters."

Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at daniels jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job (not a career); you meet great people that care about their work. Employees remember your birthday and do potlucks. Health Insurance, Vacation Pay, and Recognition once you pass your anniversary. Discounts on jewelry and watches.

Cons

You are pretty much a hostage at the corporate office. It is a family owned business where you are watched every moment of the day by senior management. This organization walks the fine line between shady employment practices and legal employment practices. I complained to a senior VP about being sexually harassed by a coworker and no one acted on it. If you are injured on the job, they will look for a way to get rid of you without having you file for workers compensation. If you’re doing a bad job, they try to demote or reduce your pay, so they will not have to pay into your unemployment.

Senior Management likes to know details of your personal life, who you’re dating, if you’re ill and why? Technology is non-existent, it’s like the office that time forgot the computers are so old (think Atari and Intel vision Grade); no one has internet access unless you’re a VP.

This organization likes to purport that they never lay people off and they treat people like family that is only IF YOU ARE family. Annual increases are less than 1% for salaried and hourly employees.Store managers and associates earn more if they sell more. If you are an hourly employee, you will be lucky if you make earn a .50 cent increase, which they will make is seem like it’s a lot of money. Inventory is horrible; they don’t know where 25% of their jewelry is. Chemicals are not kept up to OSHA standards with MSDS and ventilation that works and doesn’t work.

Advice to Management

Look at organizations that treat people well and share in the spoils that results from your employees hard work. Be fair and halt the sneaky, underhanded management practices. Employees who have worked there for 5+ years are paid less than similar positions in other companies.

"great company but they need to be more in tune with todays world"

Pros

family owned, lots of training with owners of company, training for non management associates, once a year celebration for top sales people with cash and gifts. 2 annual contests for managers and associate. manager and associates have the ability to make extra money if they sell enough

Cons

lots of hours not enough pay when sick your not treated with compassion after all the hours you put in you still have to take a sick day, some meeting are hours away from were you live and the meeting session lasts 9-11hrs then ad driving it make for a long day and most of the time you have to work the next day. Health care insurance is expensive can barely afford to carry it at all. district manager calls to check in on you, your goal is to be succesful and make that extra money at the end of the month but with all the hours you do work sometimes you have to make an appointment during your lunch time

Advice to Management

as a manager your goal is to be productive and succesful if you work someone to death its hard to get that enthusiasm that is important to show to your employees