KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

dataxu

Is this your company?

dataxu

Add a Review

dataxu Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 17, 2021

Found 15 of over 125 reviews

3.4
dataxu Co-Founder, President & CEO Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Pros
  • "Smart people throughout the Company(in 12 reviews)

• "work life balance, Good technology stack(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management values time-in-seat more than productivity(in 5 reviews)

• "re orgs(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Rewarded for doing well

Aug 31, 2018 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked in sales at dataxu for over four years and can honestly say that if you are independently motivated and are able to work autonomously there is a lot of opportunity to do well. You have support and visibility all the way up to the CEO and have opportunities to work along side the executive team. The direction we are headed with the technology to back it makes dataxu a solid career move for any seller. It's not easy by any means but if you are confident in a consultative selling role then you can do very well. Success here also leads to a great work life balance.

Cons

You need to be able to work very independently, you cannot rely on receiving a lot of sales support. With any tech company, there are a lot of people coming and going. Industry and direction of the sales org is constantly changing.

4 people found this review helpful

dataxu Response

SVP, People Strategy

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad you had a very positive experience during your four-year tenure with dx and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors! Please keep in touch.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great company!

Jan 16, 2021 - Account Associate in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stellar leadership Innovative thinkers Respectful colleagues Good work/life balance

Cons

Went through several rounds of layoffs

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company with even better people

Jun 12, 2015 - Client Service Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

DataXu has completely exceeded my expectations. The work I do each day is new and exciting and I get to grow both professionally and personally just by working with some of the most intelligent, down-to-earth people I’ve ever met. I love the team atmosphere that DataXu has, no one will turn you away if you have a “quick” question or even a whole presentation to work through, they all really want to help each other out As a person who didn’t know much about programmatic marketing (even while being interviewed), I felt extremely intimated walking in my first week. For the first month, I felt like people were talking in a language I would never understand. Now, a year later, I am so happy and thankful to be a part of this fast-paced, challenging, increasingly popular industry. Even without the perks, (catered lunch, unlimited PTO, casual dress code, free snacks/drinks, free concerts, team outings, and summer/holiday company parties), DataXu would still be an amazing place to work because of the people and culture. Suffice it to say, I’m pretty lucky to call this my job.

Cons

The busy work for lower-level positions can be tedious at times, but you need to learn how to do those things before working your way up. The managers make sure that your work/life balance is at a good place and that you're not overwhelmed.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Aug 16, 2018 - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Leadership is very concerned about long term growth - Leadership is fairly transparent about the state and strategy of the company - Employees are treated fairly - Company culture does a good job with work/life balance

Cons

- Most of the people who left around me did so because they wanted higher salaries - The promotion and pay structure seems very rigid so you may have to struggle to get the money you want

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growing pains

Sep 30, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at DataXu are some of the most intelligent and dedicated folks you'll ever meet. The good guys at the 'Xu jump at the opportunity to put more work in, and the office perks are a nice touch (albeit a little bit lacking compared to many of DataXu's Boston based peers). Innovation Days are a great idea - imagine a 48 hour hackathon across most of the company where cross functional teams get together and build exciting projects! I can also say that there's a good degree of flexibility on remote work, but of course that comes with the caveat that you're often expected to be working even when you're not in the office.

Cons

DataXu as a whole has been going through a unique transition from a small company to a pre-IPO medium sized company. Part of that transition involved reorganizing the company's go to market team, and while the People Strategy (Xu-speak for Human Resources) team was quick to boast that they were able to "find a spot for everyone in the new structure", people still left weeks later. You wouldn't know it though, because there's an unwritten rule here: unless you're on the leadership team (in which case you'll get a goodbye party and a glowing company wide memo), when you leave DataXu most people don't know you're gone and while individual departments have done a great job with celebrating the accomplishments of departing colleagues, it really sucks to send an e-mail and get an automated response saying "I am no longer with the company." I get that massive numbers of goodbye emails from lower level employees is a tough pill to swallow, but something like a company newsletter/status update with recent hirings AND departures would be incredibly useful! While the company revenue continues to increase quarter over quarter, the attitude among the entire team seems to be more closely aligned to putting out the biggest and hottest fires. This reactive and panicked attitude is not helped by the fact that there is SO much fragmentation in the tools that individual DataXu employees use to work with each other - for example, half the company seems to be using the free version of Skype while the other half (mostly engineering) seems to stick to HipChat - and that's just the chat platform - don't even get me started on the mental flow chart that DataXu employees have to go through when trying to convey and share information (Google Docs, Wiki, JIRA, SalesForce, E-Mail, Dropbox, S3, carrier pigeon?) I'm not on the finance team, but I can't imagine that financially supporting this fragmentation is easy, especially given the fact that those cost savings could be applied to making investments in the technology - it's telling that simple features that have been in high demand from DataXu's own client services team need to be relegated to hackathons and Innovation Day in order to actually get done. The fragmented nature means that getting things done at DataXu is mired by inefficiency, and when you pair that inefficiency for a suitably creepy company mantra around "Customer Obsession" you can imagine that things become a real downer for work-life balance. Sure, unlimited PTO is nice, but when you have to have your PTO logged in a central system (for "accounting" purposes of course) and you don't actively encourage employees (or at least their managers by proxy) to take at least a minimum period of time off, you're going to end up with a lot of people who simply don't take much time off at all (the pessimist in me likes to think that this is deliberate, but I really hope the leadership team doesn't really think this way). And what about the good, hard workers that I mentioned in the "Pros" section? Well, I really think that DataXu isn't doing enough to reward them - how about recognizing top performers and giving them opportunities to inspire others instead of maintaining the status quo? The last thing I want to say is to make a statement to anyone in the People Strategy team reading this - people are getting burned out at DataXu, I'd highly recommend that you start a dialogue with individual employees (engage with them personally as opposed to through a "People Strategy" email distro that I am not sure anyone even reads when a reply is sent to it) and act as their ADVOCATE when it comes to bringing things up to the leadership team. DataXu has the potential to be the greatest company to work for in the Boston area but with the Seaport district heating up and the Boston startup scene only growing, the phone calls and LinkedIn requests from recruiters can only be ignored for so long...

14 people found this review helpful

dataxu Response

Sr. Director, Learning & Talent Development

Thank you for your feedback! We are proud of the impact that Innovation Days have on our culture and love that they are a highlight for you. We have worked to better support people to work in a more flexible way, and are happy that you are experiencing that as well. You did a nice summary of some of our current challenges in your write up, and I would agree that “Growing Pains” is an accurate assessment of many of these items. I am also very open to some of your suggestions, so you can expect to see some of these things implemented in the near future. Gaining efficiency across the board is a top priority for us, and was reinforced as an issue in the recent employee engagement survey. Leaders in sales and engineering are working closely to address some critical areas related how we work together, and DataXu does its best to empower employees to use the tools they need to get the job done. This does lead to the proliferation of tools which can be confusing. The IT team is constantly evaluating the tools available looking for ways to consolidate without losing efficiency and velocity. We have started tracking our unlimited time off in order to gain more transparency in running the business. Unfortunately, this can be misperceived and therefore I will raise the concern that our time off policy may not be leveraged consistently across the organization. Finally, we promoted 30+ people in 2015, and feel that we are always looking for ways to recognize and develop our people. I would love hear about some of your ideas for ways we can focus on our top performers, please reach out to me directly or submit ideas through Ask the CEO. - Kim

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent Place to learn but Future Uncertain

Apr 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Cool Technology: AdTech space provides ample leaning & innovation opportunities - Work Life Balance - Responsive Frontline Engineering Management - Free Weekly Lunch - Transparency

Cons

- Senior Engineering Management & Leaders lack courage - Bangalore office is in bit of disarray due to weak leadership on the ground - Bangalore office location is not well thought out (hard to commute and no parking) - Recent Layoff though may be good for profit margin but reveal cracks in the commitment (currently in hiring freeze) - Vision is not well articulated, internally or externally - Transparency with hollow messaging eroding confidence

12 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Pressure cooker - Not for everyone, yet great for those that can embrace it.

Jul 21, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart employees, great executive team. Good office camaraderie (experiences only with BOS, SFO, NYC). Good benefits. Very much a "work hard, play hard" atmosphere. Recentish management re-org is promising. Those that go the extra mile are rewarded.

Cons

No real work-life balance to speak of. Many come in early, stay late, work late nights and weekends. Sometimes this is encouraged, often rewarded. Doing "good enough" is frowned upon. If you want to get up, go to work, do your job and go home, this might not be the right place.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love My Job

Jan 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the people I work with, both in region and across the country. Allows for a great work/life balance. Pretty flexible as far as hours/being in the office goes as long as you are getting your job done. Pay is great, benefits are solid. I love working here.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about DataXu

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Pressure cooker... but worked with really smart colleagues who are committed

Jan 26, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

accomplished senior management team, innovative product, MIT rocket scientists leading engineering team, rank and file workers are all in, good pay & benefits.

Cons

like I said it's a pressure cooker, no work/life balance, kind of a meat grinder, lack of a corporate culture, senior management seem to be in a rush.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Hard workers do well

Dec 22, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome benefits, great people, good work/life balance. If you work hard, you WILL likely succeed.

Cons

Too much structure can lead to dissonance and repression of ideas

1 person found this review helpful