Cover image for YipitData

94% Approve of CEO

Found 122 of over 125 reviews

YipitData Co-Founder and CEO Vinicius Vacanti
Vinicius Vacanti

What people are saying about YipitData

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture focused on impact and ownership and not on micro(in 37 reviews)
  • "This company truly hires best out of best professionals, who are also just great people to be around.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Great benefits(in 5 reviews)
  • "1. Autonomy: I have full ownership of what I am doing.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great culture | Potential for growth | Ownership and Impact

Oct 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

YipitData has great culture which provides support for growth and lets you own and make an impact to your team as well as the entire organization. You can voice your opinion and put in your ideas and eventually execute them, without hesitating.

Cons

Rapid growth can make some nervous, however the transparency assures things are well

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good hours but bad pay and career structure

Nov 4, 2022 - Equity Research
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good wfh policy, some nice co workers

Cons

My views below only pertain to my experience and might not be representative of how others feel. 1. I think your experience heavily depends on what team you are on because some managers are good and some bad. My manager had very narrow minded definition for what being “good” means so if you can’t meet that standard then tough luck. Even if you are really good at say 4 out of the 5 things, you won’t be recognized unless you check all the boxes. I think this is why I’ve seen a lot of people moving around internally or asking to move into different roles. 2. I also feel like some people are being promoted because they have a good relationship with their manager even though that person might not have met all the requirements. 3. The company is hiring a lot more junior people because the salary is not very competitive and the stock option is laughable. As the company grows it will just be a bunch of senior people, who got a lot of equity because they joined early, at the top and junior/less experienced people at the bottom, who are not as competent or financially motivated.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the YipitData team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible

Sep 8, 2022 - Data Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote or Hybrid work (Hybrid if you want to be taxed at your home state rates, remote means you get NY income tax). Trained to use SQL, some python and spark as well

Cons

Very intense training, had travel plans the month before joining and they refused to share training materials prior to my travel (which made it harder to prepare for the intense training). They fired me while I was still in training. I had no prior pro coding experience, and I was able to do all the work that was asked of me, told I had a good conceptual understanding of what needed to be done, as well as good understanding of problems that can arise, trends in data etc. but that I needed too much feedback (I maybe got an hour of feedback a day at most, usually just 15 mins, managers were generally far too busy to talk to me) and that I wasn't as fast as my cohort, who all had more coding experience, which they already knew going in, so they chucked me. I was working 12-14 hour days, sometimes more, and it made no difference. Also, they told me it was impossible to drop from "great" to "below minimum" performance in a day during training, but it turned out this was a lie, as that's exactly what happened to me. I was never told I was dropping in performance standing until it felt like it was already too late. Maybe poor revenue performance had something to do with that?

8 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

3-Month Review

May 13, 2022 - Contracts Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

So far, YipitData has been the best career move I have made in my 10+ years of working. My department, in particular, has nothing but the most supportive individuals, who I am truly honored and appreciate having as my colleagues. Everyone else within the company has been very respectful, kind and helpful (especially since I am still rather new). The benefits are superior to any company I've ever worked at as well. Unlimited time off, decent salary, ability to set your own working hours depending on how you work best, all of the major holidays off, etc. There was a variety of healthcare plans to choose from as well. Having the ability to work remotely is a massive benefit coming from someone who used to spend 2.5 hours commuting to the city every day. YipitData has a very inclusive culture as well, and I can appreciate the level of transparency and ownership. The company really wants you to take pride in your work and make an impact. YipitData has a very fast-paced work environment (which I personally don't find as a downside); however, it can be difficult striking the perfect work-life balance at first. The first few weeks and months were quite challenging for me because the atmosphere, processes, technology/software were all new to me. However, everyone at the company is there to help you out, make you feel welcomed and ease any anxiety you may have about starting in your new position.

Cons

As mentioned above, striking the perfect work-life balance can be a challenge. Since employees can choose their desired working hours, it can be difficult getting tasks completed since you could be waiting on others in different timezones.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Incredible Workplace

Sep 29, 2022 - Data Specialist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The job is a very intriguing blend of finance and technical knowledge and is a really fantastic opportunity to manage products and gain significant responsibility straight out of school. Job security is pretty strong because once you've been here for a few months, you're responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue, and the company is still focused on growing quickly despite the financial environment. The company is very serious about its values in an extremely positive way; both the data team and the company give out awards for "efficiency" and "ownership," and the company gives out awards for transparency and other demonstrations of positive values. There is a focus on self-improvement and owning up to mistakes, but without long-term animosity or judgement. Work-life balance is also huge; I'm encouraged to take time off when I'm not feeling well or dealing with the emergency, and everyone is encouraged to take vacations even when they're right out of training (we had a new hire in March take 2 weeks off in July). Everyone here works on different schedules, some people start early, others come into the office around 10, and it's very easy to log off when you need to during the day. I'd say on average I work 35-40 hours a week, never more than 45, and can run errands or just take some time to relax when I need it. I think if someone is struggling with work hours they're probably having trouble with coding and are not being transparent about the challenges they're facing, as plenty of training projects and other timelines were adjusted when I faced challenges (including spending > 25 hours on a client request we decided to "bill" 8 hours for). Also, the management is awesome. If you can snag a 1:1 with Jordan (VP of Product), he's super insightful about improvements, problem-solving, and general business philosophy. There's a strong culture of challenging people to learn and do their best without toxicity, and the management chain embodies that well (it is entirely possible that some people with bad experiences do have bad managers, as the only person who has left my team this year did so for a promotion and pay raise at a competitor). Promotions and responsibility increases happen quickly and stakeholders are incredibly fair about them (no strict timelines, backpay is common, etc.). That being said, every posted experience here is real and mine is just one. This type of role and company is clearly not a fit for everyone.

Cons

Training is challenging if you haven't had practical experience in SQL and Python, or working with databases more generally (I had R experience), and the first 2 weeks of training are at least 50 hours of work. However, there is a strong amount of screening via the projects in the application process. Part of "ownership" can also mean working late when a report needs to go out, or a system needs to be urgently fixed. It can be easy to stay connected to work when you're supposed to be on vacation. The current pay structure has been in place for a couple years, and rent/salaries more broadly have gone up since then. I'm hoping it gets adjusted in the next year or two.

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Atmosphere

Feb 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I tell someone I love my job, I'm not kidding. Prior to joining Yipit, I had this preconceived notion that I would never find a job I truly enjoyed and I'd have to settle for a job I just feel "meh" about. That all changed since joining. In my time at Yipit, I've been exposed to such kind, thoughtful, and talented people. I always feel like my professional development comes first and anything that I want to focus on is a priority. Pros: - Culture of transparency - I've had some challenges in the past, and when I've raised them, they've been addressed promptly. - Career development - I've been able to focus on and hone skills that I think will further my growth in my career not only at Yipit, but beyond - Ownership - I'm fully owning the projects that I'm working on and I've become the main decision-maker for them - I never feel micromanaged. - Benefits - The company really cares about its employees. From our wellness perks, to our home office setup, to our vacation policy, I always feel appreciated for the work that I do and know that if I need a break, I can take one. It's clear that the company cares about its employees and our wellbeing, not only on the job, but outside work.

Cons

Naturally, there are some growing pains that come with Yipit. Sometimes it feels like we're growing at such a rapid pace that it's hard to keep up with all the new hires, but Yipit makes an effort to introduce us to our new colleagues. There are weekly lunches (paid for by the company!) that you can attend, along with employee resource groups and Slack channels to connect people with similar backgrounds or interests.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great People, Inclusive Environment

Jul 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

To start, YD has great people. Each employee is thoughtful, intelligent and open-minded. There is a culture of inclusivity and I've never felt like I couldn't openly share ideas or be myself. As for the positions, it's really what you make of your role, and what you put in is what you get out. If you are willing to work hard you will be recognized for that.

Cons

It's important to get comfortable with change, and understand that in order to adapt and become a larger company, you can't keep doing things how you always have.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

An honest review

May 7, 2022 - Data Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros shared by other reviews on here are mostly accurate. Remote work option is great and you get the impression that the company plans on keeping it forever. Most coworkers are great and friendly. The culture around transparency, and ownership, and whatnot sounds like a bunch of word vomit but it's mostly nice. But really, the best pro in my opinion is that life is really great if you're good at the job. Now this can be a con which I'll expand upon in the con section, but the good side is this: if you fit the role you're hired for well, you'll not have to work as long, you'll honestly enjoy your work, and you'll get promoted/recognized most of the time. Starting pay isn't that high as some reviews may mention, but once you start getting promoted, your pay jumps pretty quickly, and for most roles you'll be able to get promoted in 12 months or less. To expand on the amount of work - since yipit has flexible work schedule and unlimited PTO, it is unclear how much you're expected to work (it ends up being you work as long as you want/need to), but for me personally, I only need to work 30 hours/week, but of course I tell everyone I work 40+ hrs ;)

Cons

Now the downsides. There aren't that many negative reviews on here, but the few that there are have a point. Working here can be rough on some people, which I've witnessed firsthand. A double edged sword of the company is that they try to be very meritocratic. If you're killing it, picking things up fast and accomplishing your tasks on time and whatnot, then you get rewarded in more ways than one. If you're struggling, for whatever reason, whether it be in your control or not, then you will probably feel bad. Not necessarily because your boss is bad or your team expects too much, but there is some degree of comparison among your peers that management does (the purpose of which is to be meritocratic) which definitely stresses people out. Obviously, this sucks, for many of the same reasons that capitalism sucks, but what can you do? I'm trying to reach a point where I'll have enough power to be able to change things from the inside and make yipit an even better company, but for now, you make do. Yipit can be better, but it's also a lot better than a bunch of other companies - I think I would prefer yipit to a company where there's nepotism and greedy bosses who never promote people who deserve it, and keep people in their same position regardless if they're really good or really bad at their job. High expectations is definitely accurate, which can feel like a big burden. If you are able to hit those high expectations, work AND life will feel great. If not, sink or swim you know? Some more honesty: there's a lot of different teams at yipit, and there's a variety of people who could be your boss/team members. That can lead to some not gelling well with either your boss or your teammates, which can make life at any job pretty miserable. Not much advice I can give here, obviously you hope that the company will have all perfect bosses who are understandable to everyone's background and personalities, but that's a hard ask of any company, not to give yipit a pass for having some less optimal bosses, because they definitely should keep striving to improve, but just some food for thought. You'll notice I gave Yipit 5 stars. I'll admit, I know it may seem like it isn't, especially if you're really worried about these concerns, but I think for the right people, Yipit can be a lifesaver. A company where you have most of the power in reaching career goals and raises, AND you can work remotely is a pretty sweet deal. I'm still glad I work here.

13 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Continues To Be An Amazing Culture While Growin

May 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Leadership is highly transparent and engages meaningfully with employees. If YipitData could do something better, leadership will always lean into that and making sure we fix it. This is across the board from culture, work, hiring, etc. - Employees genuinely care about each others successes. One of the most supportive company cultures you will come across - Highly driven, intelligent and compassionate co workers - Opportunities abound for the growth we are experiencing. If you are someone that is a self starter and driven, the opportunities are limitless - Great Perks and Benefits

Cons

- Not much really, just your typical growing pains for a startup at this stage - Equity could be better, 5 years for vesting is a lifetime in Tech

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Great Company, Culture, and People

Jun 22, 2022 - Recruting Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are many pros of working at YipitData but something that really sticks out is leadership and culture. They are transparent and truly care about employees and clients. Our culture holds everyone accountable for their impact and you work alongside many talented people. Work life balance is manageable and there is the opportunity to grow/develop professionally.

Cons

Like every company that has rapid growth, change comes. But truly, the ability to scale and acknowledge the market has made my experience here great.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 122 Reviews
</>Embed

YipitData Reviews FAQs

YipitData has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 125 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at YipitData to a friend and 87% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, YipitData employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at YipitData. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

86% of YipitData employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated YipitData 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at YipitData to be management, benefits, career development and the cons to be work life balance, workplace.

Popular Careers with YipitData Job Seekers