dressbarn Reviews | Glassdoor

dressbarn Reviews

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Dressbarn has a great work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great employee discount at a lot of different brands (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Not everyone who works there is going to be considerate of your work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Shortly after I was hired two more part-time associates joined the team because we were short-handed (in 26 reviews)

"Dressbarn has changed for the worse"

Current Employee - Merchant in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Merchant in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at dressbarn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gym with different classes offered
    Healthy optioned Cafeteria but rarely time to eat lunch
    Nice facade of a new building

Cons

Pay is low, under industry standards
    Recognition & respect is minimal
    Instability with employment - lot of departures recently and lay offs

Advice to Management

Dressbarn's once well known family culture has dramatically changed to an impersonal, systematic corporate culture designed with regimented processes. Dressbarn has lost sight of its core values when it comes to the appreciation & respect of its employees, especially those who have dedicated their career to this company & are genuinely passionate about wanting the company to succeed.

Upper management is becoming "catty" with a mean girls mentality. You better fit in or you will be forced out. All new faces in the building and employment is a constant revolving door with little stability.

Dressbarn is no longer the same and it's too late to change anything now. Overall morale is down & the future looks grim.

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at dressbarn part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great manager that was flexible with my school schedule.

Cons

Unreliable coworkers , some wouldn't show up for scheduled shift.

"Overall Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at dressbarn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with for the most part and the 40% off discount is pretty good too.

Cons

I'm constantly asked to work extra shifts, that and say goodbye to your weekends.

"Not Worth it"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at dressbarn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, you always have someone with you on the floor.

Cons

They do not train you enough. They have expectations of you that they do not tell you about. It becomes stressful when even if you give your best effort they can see you're trying and they still don't care. I hope none of my future jobs give me a district manager that's as impossible to please as this one.

Advice to Management

Associates should be helping with the floor sets. Other companies do it that way, not sure why they only trust management to move clothes and change signage. Also train your employees. Don't tell them to read articles and discussion boards when they are supposed to be on the floor helping customers.

"Ruining a once great company."

Former Employee - Store Leader
    Former Employee - Store Leader

I worked at dressbarn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Super cute clothes are discounted from an already reasonable price. For what dress barn lacks in pay, they make up for in a stellar benefit package.

Cons

This used to be an amazing company to work for. Work life balance was important to upper management. It was our main job to Inspire Women to look and feel beautiful. But this last year has been terrible. All the people who made this company great have been laid off and were replaced by people who do not understand the stress we feel in the field. Constant floor moves, visual updates, and tasking with less payroll means customer experience is suffering.

I started looking for a new career path when a new regional manager to our district came for a visit three days before Christmas Eve and spent from 10 am until 6 pm tearing apart every fixture and wall in the store with zero regard to the season, or the customers. It could have been a perfect opportunity for her to train our team on the importance of multi tasking while giving customers "the merchandise approach", instead she ignored my customers, made a mess of hardware, and sat on the tables while she read the smart set. It was then and there I realized that she didn't have a passion for inspiring Women. I'll tell you what customers don't care about: how many standards to set a wall and fixtures, what they do care about: customer experience.

Our district leader was also replaced by someone who only cares about numbers and reports. She flat out told us that she cares nothing for the customer survey report, which in my opinion was the best report card we have to see how we are doing as a team.

Shame on everyone who turned this company into what it is today. This wasn't Mrs J's vision.

Advice to Management

Take Jeff Gertsel's name off as CEO before you tarnish his legacy.

6. "Employment"

Current Employee - Stylist in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Stylist in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at dressbarn (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and excellent coworkers

Cons

Hard to get the hours wanted

"Your opinion doesn't count, upper Management does what ever they want."

Current Employee - Store Leader in Penn Hills, PA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Penn Hills, PA

I have been working at dressbarn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Years ago it was a great company to work for. Within the last year, Dressbarn has brought employees in from Justice they are ruining the company. It was a fun and enjoyable place to work. Now, it's like going to prison everyday.

Cons

It's a challenge everday, between the floor moves changing constantly. I don't think upper management has a clue of what they are doing. You are not appreciated at all. Forget about having a life outside the store. Dressbarn will be your life. Think twice before working for this company!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers. You don't work in the stores, we do. You show up for an hour walk around and tell us what we are doing wrong!

8. "Sales Associate"

I worked at dressbarn part-time

Pros

Fun, fashion filled, clear team work communication makes the job much easier. Flexible schedules

Cons

The company needs to work on better pay increases.

Advice to Management

Balance opening and closing shifts fairly with team members and managers.

9. "Excellent Company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at dressbarn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and a personal life changing experience. The personalized customer service with the customer... is to go on and beyond... Dressbarn is all about stories.

Cons

Retail, a lot of personal time to sacrifice, same as holidays and weekends. It's good when you don't have family to spend time with, but if you Retail is to think it twice!

Advice to Management

keep caring about associates and need to give more raises

"Lots of transitioning"

I have been working at dressbarn full-time

Pros

Great office environment, good people

Cons

Changing work environment with uncertainty