drillinginfo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jeff Hughes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and work environment (in 9 reviews)

• passion for the oil and gas industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very simply the pay is below average for both the tech world as well as Oil and Gas (in 7 reviews)

• Strategic communication throughout the company could be better, but the management has heard this and is making a variety of measures to address (in 3 reviews)

1. "This Place Rocks!"

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

I get to work with smart and passionate people everyday. Culture and our company values are important to the Exec team and it shows. We have a start-up feel without all the pain of a start-up!

Cons

We just had an employee climate survey and there are a few locations that need some help. Management is working on an action plan!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've got happy, productive employees!

2. "DI..not very impressed"

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

Very good 401k match, good health insurance options, unlimited PTO

Cons

ELT team is not all bad but certain members have this way of talking down to others that isn't appreciated. Disrespectful to women, what I would call a 'bro' culture. They hired strippers to dance at our 2016 holiday party and didn't see anything wrong with it for a long time even thought it was the talk of the night, and not in a good way. Talk about having no class. I hear it had to be spelled out for them that that someone could go after them legally for creating that environment before they got the picture. Horrible communication all around. The whole company is disorganized and it comes off like a lot of decisions about the business are made without solid evaluation. No sense of urgency from some departments, or maybe they're just way in over their heads and can't keep up. They like to say they still have a startup feel, but they certainly don't.

Advice to Management

Get your company organized.

3. "Drillinginfo"

I worked at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

Support and data management group were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Company and upper management lacked communication and direction after many acquisitions.

4. "One of the best places to work in Austin"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and highly innovative culture.

Cons

Market conditions improving would accelerate growth.

5. "Right place for the right people"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is growing despite the challenges both the clients and industry face. This growth allows for amazing opportunities for people to join and become apart of a company that is challenging, fun, highly active, while being apart of something of significance - helping provide low cost energy around the world.

Cons

Despite being 500 people strong, the company still struggles with internal communication and at some points direction. There are a lot of smart people with great ideas and that can be challenging to act on sometimes.

"Comments from the Founder/Chairman"

Current Employee - Chairman in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Chairman in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will have a positive impact on the biggest industry on the planet. If you have an ingrained bias against oil and gas, this place ISN'T for you. I read Glassdoor, and I can understand the POV if every comment. I might not agree, but I understand where the comments are coming from.

Cons

Drillinginfo continues to reinvent its products and processes. We are always trying to get better and more efficient. We have to. This is a business in which our core clients lost 60% of their gross revenue and topline value. We survived by doubling down on getting better products out the door. BTW, I am not the CEO any longer. Jeff Hughes is the new CEO.

Advice to Management

There is nothing fun or easy about letting good people go. However, if we can do the job of 10 with 2, we better do it, or someone else will. It's a sad fact of life. However, we treat people well when they are let go.

"DI is an amazing place to be"

Current Employee - Texas in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people who are passionate, energetic, customer-focused, and innovative. The product is unique, and we're making rapid progress and continuing to push the envelope of what is possible for analyzing energy markets.
    Our client base is incredibly diverse, which makes them interesting to talk to, and they enjoy working with us. They are willing to collaborate and share feedback and ideas.
    Allen sets a unique stamp on the culture and the opportunity is entrepreneurial without someone looking over your shoulder or telling you how to do your job. You figure it out and have the flexibility to leverage your strengths to the benefit of the organization.
    I've seen other posts saying DI is a poor place for women. I am a female and have worked in other industries and companies. DI is the first place I've been where I have felt and seen zero gender discrimination. I have been respected since the day I walked in the door and I am happy to have met many talented females across the firm working in various roles.

Cons

Travel... Austin is a wonderful place to be based but not where the majority of our clients are located.
    It is also difficult to work across geographies and stay connected with folks in other offices, particularly those outside of the US.

Advice to Management

Management has made progress in the last year with structuring departments, developing cross-functional processes like Wildcatter Ideas, and improving communications around compensation, company performance, and product development. There should be continued emphasis on integration and communication to offices outside of Austin - there is a lot of good effort here, but it needs continued support.

"Not a great place for women"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice people. The former CEO, now Chairman, is a genuinely kind, inspirational genius. Good products. Talented sales team.

Cons

You could define the almost entirely male ELT with the term misanthrope when it comes to women. The only women with spots at the table are clearly junior in influence and authority to their male counterparts - unless they're literally cheering the new CEO's statements, they are talked over and ignored. On the sales floor active harassment of young women is cheerfully encouraged and laughed about. It's embarrassing to witness. At the last Christmas party there were stripper/dancers walking around in thongs.

Advice to Management

Probably should reign in the over the top boys' club attitude. I won't be surprised when someone finally takes legal action.

9. "Truly on the verge of something special."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Has the best team environment that I have ever been associated with in the workplace.
    - Very flat organization. There is literally not an individual at the company, from the lowest on the totem pole to the CEO, that you can not quickly connect with.
    - Is a growth company. Consistently committed to investing back into DI & the product.
    - Product growth. The product growth that has taken place in the last 12-18 months, from what I can gather, far exceeds everything that has occurred in the previous 15 years.
    - Leadership

Cons

- Pay could be better. In terms of pay rate for tech industry & oil & gas DI is simply average

Advice to Management

Keep the path you are on. It may have taken a downturn & a few years to get the mechanics correct but right now you have it 100% right.

10. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Drillinginfo after contracting here for a while and love this company. I believe in our success and am excited to be a part of a growth organiation.

The people are amazing. The leadership is strong. We have a clear path to success -- even in a down market. We've innovated more in the past year than the previous 5. It's exciting to be a part of a culture where you work with incredibly smart people and learn something every day.

The company has spent time and money on developing our culture and evolving our values. Our strategy and goals are clear. We're growing organically and inorganically. It's a great time to be a part of something truly amazing.

Cons

Like any company, we have our challenges but I am proud to work for Drillinginfo and most days are good days. I work a lot but I own my own work life balance and my own success. That is clear.

Advice to Management

Continue to share progress and be transparent about our future. Continue to value engagement of employees and customer satisfaction as keys to our success.