drillinginfo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
drillinginfo CEO and President Jeff Hughes
Jeff Hughes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company culture and solid data as the core of the business (in 6 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, relaxed atmosphere, ability to work with a multitude of technologies, never a dull moment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very simply the pay is below average for both the tech world as well as Oil and Gas (in 7 reviews)

• Company and upper management lacked communication and direction after many acquisitions (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great people, interesting politics"

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

The most helpful, friendly employees. We have a lot of fun, we work hard and we rally behind a goal.

Cons

Constant changing priorities or new pet projects from the executives. Too many times we've been asked to do something as a rubber stamp or check box, but it isn't useful to our organization. In general there is a ton of opportunity and very little hierarchy, in certain departments though there is a bit more politics based on the leadership style and managers who only want to hear yes and want to only cheerlead to upper management.

Advice to Management

Focus more on being a meritocracy and ensure that politics stay at a minimum.

Jan 16, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the great feedback and it sounds like you are very engaged. We had an incredible 2017, and much of that was due to “rallying behind goals.” I’m happy to hear that is recognized. As we... More

2. "One of the best companies I've worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart, innovative, and caring group of individuals.

DI is a place that I can truly say, the sky is the limit. It's a company that if you're self-motivated and passionate about what you do, the opportunities to thrive are limitless. You're also given the freedom to bring about new ideas, enact change and truly be innovative in your field of work.

Drilling Info also has a great company culture and they really take care of their employees; and I'm not just saying that. I would like to share my personal experience on how DI impacted me and my family. When Hurricane Maria hit the island of PR, the hurricane caused catastrophic damage across the entire island, which left my family in a uninhabitable situation. Without hesitating, my wife and I offered to bring my family to come live with us until their situation improved. During these difficult times, dozens of Drilling Info employees would consistently ask how my family was doing and how our situation was progressing, which truly made me feel like they really cared. Lo and behold, DI info ended up donating hurricane relief funds raised by the entire company to help my family re-build and get back on their feet! How amazing is that?! They also assisted many other families affected by Hurricane Harvey as well. Acts of kindness such as these are the norm culture here at DI, and that’s one of the many reasons as to why I love working for this company. It’s truly an amazing place to work.

Cons

This is a very challenging, stimulating, and fast paced environment; be ready for a challenge!

Advice to Management

Keep up great work!

3. "Management"

I worked at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

Allen Gilmer loves his company and is very creative. If you can get his ear (in the right moment), he will not only listen to great ideas but put them into action.

Cons

After Ed P was brought in to get company ready to sell, the company changed immensely. One by one, he eliminated all of the “old timers” who not only the ones who made the company great but also continued to make it successful.

Advice to Management

Give management team members the necessary training to make them leaders and the leeway to lead the team to success.

4. "Great Company with a Solid Future"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

This company marries two fascinating industries: oil & gas and technology / software.

DI does business with all types of companies so it's never dull: E&Ps, land, law, service, private equity, hedge funds, banks, etc.

The business is made up of really nice, intelligent people who want to help one another and customers.

Solid culture that like to work hard and play hard.

Young company with fresh ideas.

Disruptive.

Excellent product develop: it churns out lots of products quickly and that are relevant and even unique to other solutions in the marketplace.

Cons

Not a con but a word of advice to those looking at the business, if you're not ready to run and think fast, don't join. This company moves at a fast clip.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on data quality and product development. All other good things in a business (sales, revenue, and growth) follow a strong, differentiated product!

5. "VP"

Current Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, executive team on the same page and excited to get to work.

Cons

A lot of initiatives to work on so it can lead to a focus issue if Sr. Leadership is not aware

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, great company with a lot going on

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at drillinginfo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited resources to support the employee base

Cons

Start-Up mentality, unconventional Sales Org practices, volatile environment, 3 comp plan within 12 months.

"Party company"

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

Some of the people are genuinely great!

Cons

If you're unattractive or you're not "one of the boys" you'll have a pretty bad time as other reviews say. I would -not- suggest this company if you work in the tech industry.

Advice to Management

Management's view from the top is pretty amazing. You should start focusing from the bottom up as you're completely out of touch with the average worker. Also don't hire strippers for parties.

Nov 6, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I agree that we have some great people here! We strive to continuously create a collaborative culture of inclusiveness and excellence where... More

8. "Account Executive"

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

Market leading fast paced organization delivering new tools & technology to the market on a monthly basis.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for time commitment by portions of management. People work to live not live to work.

Advice to Management

Be conscious of the various portions of the market and support your people without beating them down.

Oct 11, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are very much a fast-paced organization, and we continue to enjoy a healthy growth trajectory. Work/life balance means different things to... More

9. "Data Tech"

I worked at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

flexible work schedule and great work/life balance

Cons

Little growth or encouragement for advancement

Advice to Management

Value your employees, especially the ones that provide the product you are selling.

Oct 11, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad that you recognize our initiatives to promote an integrated work/life approach! Employee career advancement is also important to us and I'm... More

10. "Please read a real review from a former employee"

I worked at drillinginfo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at DI for nearly 5 years. It's an amazing place to be. There is no doubt the company rewards and looks after their top performers. If you work hard and innovate in your position you will love DI. I highly recommend you ignore any negative reviews - if you are a hard worker and love a company that invests in its top performers, then DI is your place to be. The Founder and Chairman is very active and is one of those guys you want to be around. He's a tremendous person and a great business man. The new CEO is exceptional. His vision and strategy is second to none. The people you work with everyday are fantastic. This is a company that if you are lucky enough to work for makes coming to work an absolute pleasure.

Cons

If you are just looking for a job - then I'd look elsewhere. If you are looking to make a difference, then you've found your place.

Advice to Management

Continue to never apologize for believing in meritocracy.

Oct 11, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I could not agree with you more; we have so many talented and passionate employees that continue to raise the bar on performance. I am personally... More