drillinginfo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
drillinginfo Co-founder, Chairman, and CEO Allen Gilmer
Allen Gilmer

Pros
  • Great people and work environment (in 8 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, relaxed atmosphere, ability to work with a multitude of technologies, never a dull moment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A little unorganized and pay is not as competitive as other software companies in the upstream oil and gas market (in 4 reviews)

• Strategic communication throughout the company could be better, but the management has heard this and is making a variety of measures to address (in 3 reviews)

1. "Solid company with a future on the cusp of big growth. But like most they are not without issues."

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. If you ask any current or former employee what the best part about Drillinginfo is, they will tell you the people that they work with. Like every company there will be those that you may not get along with 100% of the time, it is a very close company that resembles a team environment.

There is a lot of opportunity for upward movement within the company. Further there is a lot of opportunity for movement to various areas within the company.

The work environment is very relaxed yet high energy. They love to work hard and play hard.

Cons

PAY. Very simply the pay is below average for both the tech world as well as Oil and Gas. It is also below average for Austin tech companies.

Turnover. The turnover is much higher than any other company I have ever seen. Employees with more than 3 to 4 years seem to be the longest tenured people you will find.

Constant reorganization. If we are being honest with ourselves here it shows an obvious issue with leadership at some levels.

Advice to Management

Get the pay structure on par with other tech companies. Having exempt employees that do not earn what is defined as a livable salary by economic standards is an issue, and one that must be addressed.

Be very vigilant of not becoming complacent with regards to tilting the game toward favorites within the company. With such high turnover you run the risk of losing valuable people and letting the nails that don't stick out just keep getting by.

2. "Sales"

I worked at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

There are some really amazing people that work for Drillinginfo including the CEO Allen Gilmer.

Cons

Drillinginfo has changed a lot over the past few years. Too many changes in management and processes. It's hurting the culture. It's no longer a place I would recommend to someone.

Advice to Management

Scale back on the processes and minimize the politics within sales management. Focus on caring about your people again the way Allen Gilmer does.

3. "Improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, fun place to work. A lot of innovation going on.

Cons

There are still work silos that need to be fixed - the products are still a work in progress - low end jobs going away.

Advice to Management

Listen to customers about product improvements. Pay people what they're worth. Look at how IT can work better.

5. "Engaged and many opportunities to advance"

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

Pros

The work is challenging and you will be challenged. The company is incredibly proactive and always seeking to find new and better ways to serve our customers. I have been in the energy & technology space for over 20 years and do not see other firms investing as heavily as DI does. We also recently release a new platform for our customers that has been received incredibly well from what I understand. Even in a down market!

The company is still in acquisition mode. The recent acquisitions are exciting and additive to the core technology stack creating for exciting solutions for our customers and us as employees to take on more. I am impressed with the new management team Allen Gilmer has brought in and there is a huge focus on employee engagement. I have personally found every member of the ELT open to taking meetings and being willinging to listen. They are not perfect and don't always solve the problem for us, but I have found they do empower the employees to bring solutions as long as we are not just complaining without being willing to be part of the solution. I find the environment to be intellectually stimulating. After being here 2 years, I find that the company is continuing to make great strides to improve. It is a good place to be and I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

We are still growing out of "start up" in many ways and there are many areas that can be operationalized better. The company grew incredibly fast and I see many areas that can continue to be improved on to become more efficient. The company is investing heavily in our development and that can create its own set of problems as we prioritize what is most valuable to our customers. Internal communication can also be a challenge at times as well as the number of internal meetings that are scheduled.

Advice to Management

Great acquisitions recently with GlobalView and PRODcast/Fundamental Edge. Continue to empower the employees, invest in your managers and continue building an environment of trust.

"Ticking time bomb"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

There was a time when this company was not terrible.
    They have some good people there, very smart associates.
    There are fun parties and games people like to laugh.

Cons

I left a few months ago because this company does not know what they are doing. No clear direction, acquiring companies and pretending everything is okay. They do not pay people what they are worth. All the clients are getting really irritated with low quality data. The HR team is terrible, we had one good HR gal who left, the most junior seemed the most competent. Leaving is what most of the good employees are doing leaving due to poor pay and terrible leadership.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they deserve.
    Hire and retain quality people in all department.
    Fix the data (I know you think you already did that it didn't work).
    Have a clear direction for the company.

"Denying major layoffs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co-workers are great; they are highly talented, care for their work, and are underpaid.

Cons

While the oil market is currently down, DrillingInfo is acquiring several outside companies. However, in order to free up money for the first quarter of 2017 inflating their "profit" margins, upper management has decided to deploy major layoffs throughout the company right before the holidays. Layoffs can be expected but the timing is heartless especially when extravagant travel, "meetings", and parties are still occurring on the company dime.

DrillingInfo demands loyalty and total dedication of its employees while never reciprocating. Do not work here, I do not expect the company to survive another 3 years.

Advice to Management

Set actual priorities and goals. Communicate to your team and live within your budget. Demand accountability for your upper management. Hire more aduquate HR, I'm shocked the company has not been sued due to their negligence. Without the above this company will tank.

"analyst"

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

cutting edge IT company, ample exposure to upper management with an open culture

Cons

limited room for growth, low salary levels, too much administrative burden for a company of this size

"Great time to be at a great company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Great people to work with, incredible product leading the industry, company is growing in a down market, work life balance is great, great leadership and management. It takes great care of employees who are committed to the success of the company. Great communication and transparency, great culture and events. I would not want to be anywhere else right now!

Cons

Volatile Industry
    Pay could be higher

Advice to Management

Stop changing the processes every few months

"Stay away for a while"

Pros

Overall, Drillinginfo is staffed with incredible people with impressive pedigrees.
    The products are spectacular and have the data/analysis that clients are looking for.
    A few members of the management team are extremely on their game and are incredible assets to the Drillinginfo team - they are truly a pleasure to work with.
    When oil prices are high, life is great.
    I truly believe the company has so much potential, but things are a mess right now and low oil prices aren't helping.

Cons

The current business model is completely unsustainable and they are making constant drastic changes to satisfy the board of directors. (And ironically acquiring more and more companies despite having a terrible revenue year and annihilating the sales team to save money).
    Extremely high turnover rate and disloyalty to employees - I have witnessed several members of the sales team (including one who won "Account Executive of the year") let go after one or two bad quarters.
    Massively Misogynistic - unless you are in the Boys' Club, you are overlooked, overworked, and underpaid.
    Allen Gilmer hosts Fireside Chats where he claims to address the employees' concerns. He has good intentions, but always avoids answering these concerns or questions directly and always ends with a "Oh, it's a tough time, but we'll be fine!" He seems very out of touch with the chaos happening on the sales team - probably because he has his hand in too many other projects, companies, and boards he sits on.
    Constant Restructuring of Accounts and Sales staff. The clients are extremely unhappy because they never know who is working their account. And in this second restructuring in just one year, clients have become screwed over once again.
    Close to zero internal communication. The product team rolls out features constantly and often don't communicate this to the rest of the Drillinginfo staff. Additionally, a few of the products can't even be altered because no one knows the programming language - this leaves clients who religiously use these products extremely frustrated.
    The management team is full of double-dealing people who will throw you under the bus for their own gain.
    Empty promises to keep everyone motivated. The new president came in and said he wanted to create a work environment where we were all excited to come to work every day - I honestly have no idea why he is here and have yet to see him accomplish anything significant. No annual bonuses. Gilmer promised the staff we would receive bonuses at Christmas for our hard work - none of us have received this yet either.

Advice to Management

Several employees trust you with their careers, and the culture of fear within Drillinginfo is a very real and prevalent feeling. Stop dropping members of teams because of one bad quarter. Promote from within and listen to your employees who try to chase opportunities within the company. Pick a restructuring model and stick to it - you have absolutely no idea how frustrated clients are.

"Hopefully headed in a better direction?"

I worked at drillinginfo full-time

Pros

The people are great to work with and I had a lot of fun at company events.

Cons

Lots of change happening in the organization, and some really good people leaving. Support group seems to be going nowhere fast and there were a lot of customer complaints about service quality.

Advice to Management

Make sure group managers are qualified and trained.