e2v Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Blair

"Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at e2v full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have great benefits and vacation schedule. The company is large but the teams are small and focused on the product. Good people.

Cons

I have 20 years of experience and I work in a cube. They constantly play satellite radio and it can be hard to focus. Coming from Texas, I think I priced my salary a little low.

Advice to Management

Rework the cube environment and turn the music way down or better yet, off. Don't put sales guys or people always on the phone next to Engineers.

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at e2v full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technical products, own majority of markets very good product management

Cons

Sales management not experienced managers and have little to no product knowledge

Advice to Management

Be careful who is placed in critical positions and don't be afraid to correct mistakes

3. "Unethical Leadership"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Milpitas, CA

I worked at e2v full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location, nice building and facilities, and decent benefits

Cons

No diversity in executive positions, too much turnover in the US and Europe, new CEO is not a good public speaker, UK and remaining US executives are unethical, and salaries are not competitive

Advice to Management

Quick changing strategies, plans, and people. Hire younger executives (below 50 years old) that have some passion and can stay awake in meetings and in front of customers. Hire executives that are minorities or women. Hire good public speakers and people good with customers.

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

A Paycheck every other week

Cons

Where should I start? They brought in a President who fired every person who had been there before he started , lawyers, CFO, entire sales team, etc.. Anyone who stayed on left shortly after. I blame senior management in England for allowing this to happen. They destroyed everything they built up. They have lost several major contracts which will show up after the current backlog is finished. The new people don't have their heart in the business. A few told me, "it's a paycheck" til something better comes along.

Advice to Management

This company needs to make changes at the very top. The decisions made after Attwood left have everyone scratching their heads. So many great employes terminated for no reason at all. The US division was doing great. Why? I fully expect this company to crash over the next few years. They are very mismanaged from the top.

"Growing Pains"

Pros

Family atmosphere, good people, interesting work, growing company

Cons

Salaries are really low for current employees. Lots of turn over. Need consistent management.

Advice to Management

Bring salaries in line with the valley or continue to loose people

"this company sucks"

Former Employee - Marketing in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Milpitas, CA

I worked at e2v full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a paycheck and some lasting friends

Cons

Regarding Mipitas... 4 years of forced vacations, 5 managers in 5 years, no pay increases, no real investment in inventory as they rely of Arrow stock. They are basically a test house for Arrow obsolete inventory. Management has turned the finance, marketing, sales, law department over in one year. Did I leave anyone out? I guess all of us employees who helped build e2v US sucked... sad to be an employee of a company that you work hard for, build up and then get thrown out like trash.

Advice to Management

Whoever thought this was a good way to do business doesn't know business.

"Began very well then constant management change derailed the train"

I worked at e2v full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting product with loyal customers

Cons

Continual change of sales people and management. No leadership so no clear direction. 5 Presidents in 5 years. Management does not understand the business or how to properly propel it forward.

Advice to Management

Bring in folks who understand the market and it's applications. Stop trying to become something e2v is not

"Once good, now falling apart"

Current Employee - Marketing in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at e2v full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great fellow workers, interesting products used in various applications

Cons

Arrow owns a major percentage of the product and they are slowing to a crawl as sequestration is hitting the military. Sales are going to plummet and they gutted the sales force so now it's a bunch of new people who are quite frankly, not as talented as the ones they let go. If you own stock, dump it. There's a reason Keith Attwood left when he did. Does the Titanic ring a bell?

Advice to Management

No real reason to give advice to management. This new crew doesn't listen or care what we say. Not sure why all new hires are in Texas when our office is in California. If you are a President or a GM you need to be at the office every day. Otherwise things start to fall apart. Right now, it's a mess and getting worse by the day. This is a disaster.

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at e2v full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company empowers employees to manage their areas completely.
    Lots of guidance and training to help you succeed.
    Very innovative products and exciting clients worldwide.

Cons

Need to hire better senior management. Many miss steps in CA have led to high turnover and bad morale.

Advice to Management

Have a stock option scheme for the employees outside the UK.

"Clever, Slow Old Dinosaur"

Former Employee - Frustrated Manager in Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Frustrated Manager in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I worked at e2v full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay can be good in some areas
    - People (esp shop floor) are lovely
    - Exciting products and science
    - Well established company
    - Balancing the books at the moment
    - Youthful workforce on the whole
    Clever staff
    Excellent apprenticeship and graduate programmes
    Its an interesting (if frustrating) diversion for a few years
    Tremendous potential for success / expansion (if only e2v can change quickly enough)

Cons

- The CEO took on the phrase "Clever Old Dinosaurs" after he heard feedback from a customer... How right that customer was.
    - E2V is just soooooo slow to act and change.... likely to become extinct(!)
    - Incompetent senior management and questionable hires in some roles
    - Clever staff [yeah it's a con too!] too many scientists doing engineering roles
    - Bad pay at shop floor and junior engineering levels (embarrassingly low)
    - The level of incompetence and lack of professionalism throughout all depts is astounding and frustrating to experienced newcomers
    - Projects are on average a year behind before they are delivered - lateness is acceptable
    - Engineering work is very niche and often the result means that joiners become massively deskilled
    - Good people leave within 3 years, clingers-on can be there for decades at 'Sleepy Hollow'

Advice to Management

- Replace as many people as you can in the Exec and Senior Leadership teams with seasoned business managers from automotive and aerospace companies who are used to working in professional companies.
    - Get some 'Completer/Finishers' in
    - It is not okay to miss a delivery commitment.
    - Stop banging on about 'lack of resource'. There is no lack of resource - there is a lack of focus and capable process and a horrifically lazy culture.
    - Prioritise your improvements
    - Finish what you start