eBay Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7

2,185 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Enjoyable place to work and a great brand to support"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

eBay offers opportunity to the world that many other jobs don't. This is buffed by the way they appear socially when enabling global commerce. Working here is good and the pay, stock, health coverage, and additional benefits (like a full Month off of work after working 5 years) are wonderful.

Cons

A fair share of bureaucracy whenever attempting to run with a guise of empowerment. They like to allow you to be expressive and creative, but on a retractable dog leash.

Advice to Management

Trust the grass roots. They build your replacements.

Nov 30, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction Programs Manager

We love hearing when employees have a great experience working with us and can relate and identify with our mission-driven brand! Empowering entrepreneurs, dreamers, and business owners around the... More

"Single Worst Experience of Entire Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Newly-renovated cafeteria. Free breakfast every morning. Valet parking.

Cons

The time I spent at eBay was the worst experience of my entire career by a significant margin. Before I started at eBay, I had heard from friends that when eBay and PayPal separated, all the normal people went to PayPal while all the lunatics stayed behind at eBay. During my time there, I learned the hard way how true this was.

I worked for an absolutely toxic manager who had no business managing other people. She still worked at eBay even though this was well-known around the company and she had a number of HR complaints against her. Not only was she grossly incompetent, she also was pitifully insecure, malicious and morally bankrupt. A manager who exhibits even one of these characteristics would already be difficult to work with. A manager who has all these qualities made for an experience that was horrific beyond comprehension. If you suggested a different approach on a project, rather than considering the merits of your suggestion, her first instinct would be to accuse you of questioning her expertise and undermining her authority. She also would do everything she can to try to destroy you. She once fired a teammate because he had the audacity to disagree with her in a meeting in front of management. She also was not above making up lies in order to make this happen. For me, the last straw came when she ordered me to do something illegal because she was mad at one of our business partners and wanted to get back at him. She also tried to set this up in such a way that I would be the fall guy if anyone found out.

This experience was not unique to me. I had many colleagues who faced similar bullying, mistreatment and abuse and who left as a result. In my experience, the culture at eBay was toxic and pernicious across the board. On an interesting side note - the entire company also seems to have a huge chip on its shoulder. Employees delude themselves into thinking that eBay and Amazon are somehow competitors. (For anyone who does not know, Amazon left eBay in the dust years ago.) I do not know which is more worthless - the Kool-Aid eBay serves its employees or the crap that is sold in its marketplace.

Advice to Management

Do not keep toxic managers who have absolutely no business managing others and who have driven out numerous employees.

3. "Unhealthy work culture and bad leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only good side about eBay is the product itself.

Cons

eBay has lost a lot of good leaders and is fostering a very unhealthy work culture. It is very competitive and cut throat rather than working towards the goal of building the next generation ecommerce product. There might be parts or organizations of the company that are still great to work in but this feedback is about the shopping experience group. The management and leadership that is thriving there is the one people should be avoiding.

Advice to Management

Executive leadership should really look into the shopping experience group to figure out what is causing so much attrition of good leaders and engineers and take serious actions to improve the organization.

"Datacenter Program Manager"

I worked at eBay full-time

Pros

Location is great, if you don't like to commute.

Cons

Horrible management, lacks vision and leadership. People are hired based on nationality not based on skills or knowledge of job. No diversity, I was the only non Indian in that group.

Advice to Management

Need to be replaced.

"Politics, politics, politics"

I worked at eBay full-time

Pros

Dynamic and ever-changing in many ways

Cons

Politics and self-serving behavior are everywhere, especially in senior leadership

"Glad to be outta there"

Former Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

convenient location, flexible work hours... unfortunately there's not alot else to share that would qualify as a "pro"

Cons

terrible decision making, frequent flip-flip on strategy and product direction, "do because I said so" style approach with no opportunity to discuss other perspectives, poor executive management, extremely limited opportunity for growth in most groups, high attrition rate leaves you constantly starting from scratch with many cross-departmental efforts.

"LIARS! DONT DRINK THE KOOL AID!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at eBay (Less than a year)

Pros

free bagels on Wednesdays, free coffee,tea,sodas,Le Croix water

Cons

slow hiring process. False promises. Once hired everyone there will tell you it's the greatest place on earth, and that eBay really cares about their employees. In truth, they could not care less. VERY VERY high turnover. They fired 5 people in my training class for nothing...at least nothing serious.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like crap....be human, stop lieing about what a great place eBay is. Let people know in advance Team Leaders will most likely fire you if you rent PERFECT right off the bat.

"Seller benefits and considerations at Ebay"

Former Employee - Seller in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Seller in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None left anymore, used to be a good place

Cons

Contradictory policies. Extremely bad top management.

Advice to Management

Try to get a job elsewhere

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Acquisitions

First, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Second, we are sorry to hear of your frustrations with our company policies. We strive to create a work environment where our... More

9. "Interview Process"

Pros

I was contacted by a recruiter and had really great conversation that led to my onsite interviews after my phone screen. I've always wanted to work for eBay so hearing the initial conversation went well was exciting.

Cons

I was connected with a coordinator from eBay who sits in a remote office. She reached out to me scheduled my onsite and I was able to confirm a date and time that week with my schedule. I thought this is quick and efficient, great! The following day I got an email abruptly mentioning the team needed to move things around and had to reschedule my onsite to next week. I thought sure, I can be flexible so I gave her an alternate date and time. She came back with a new generic template with my onsite schedule and document attachment to the email.

So the bad part begin--normally coordinator would send and attach your interview schedule with your name and who you're meeting with the day of your interview. Because she copy and paste things, I saw another person's name on my interview schedule, so I knew it was an error and quickly google search the name. Turns out it was another person interviewing in the same position as I am and took my original assigned time. Bummer.

It made me stress and thought the entire candidate experience went down the drain quickly at thar point, I felt like a second class citizen to other applicant. I confronted the coordinator and the excuse was there's a bug in the system (no apology what so ever). You don't send other people's info to a another candidate period and don't own your mistakes.

Advice to Management

Check with your talent aquisition team that does the scheduling -- it left a bitter taste in my mouth and the experience wasn't a great one.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Acquisitions

We are so sorry to hear of your frustrations and the confusion. We would like you to know your voice has been heard and we will be looking into this matter to ensure it never happens again. Thank you... More

"This is SF eBay classified Review"

I have been working at eBay full-time

Pros

Benefits that eBay provides. 401k match, ESPP, RSU good.

Cons

Too much work related politics. PD managers don't get along well with the site ops team. PD is directionless, revert their own changes because of their low quality code. PD managers co operate with the site ops they like, new comers get trouble because they don't know how to play politics at work. Many Engineers in PD are less qualified for their job, do nor provide or forget to provide information that site ops need to execute their job and because of their incompetency they do blame game.

Advice to Management

Take confidential survey to collect information about work related politics. If you can't make your work place better then good employees will leave.

Showing 2,185 of 2,460 reviews