eBay Reviews | Glassdoor

2,003 Employee Reviews

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Hartford, CT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance and bonuses

Cons

lack of identity and focus

2. "Finance Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, not all teams though

Cons

very limited and not transparent career opportunities

Advice to Management

poor decision making, trying to improve

Jun 7, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction Programs Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback and know that it has been heard. We are continuing our efforts to ensure career development and decision-making are priorities as areas ... More

"Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company and help to learn eCommerce business

Cons

Career development doesn't depend on the performance sometime

Advice to Management

Please care about the lower level employees

May 25, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction Programs Manager

Hello and thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry to hear you felt your career growth was not based on performance. We strive to create a positive work environment where all employees feel ... More

"Site Merchandising"

Former Employee - Site Merchandiser in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Site Merchandiser in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team(s) of talented people to work with
    New Main Street for coffee/chat and large theater for All Hands

Cons

Not enough vision from upper management to elevate the brand and .com sites to new heights

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from walmart.com and find more creative and "outside the box" thinkers to manage your website

5. "Hard to leave the people"

Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing and helpful. Managers work with you and are understanding. Lots of free food and events. Open call center space, you're not stuck in a cubical by yourself.

Cons

Heavy call volume, your stats are dependent on performance, customer satisfaction, Average handle time, attendance, After call work and Customer Surveys. All easy to achieve unless you get couple of bad surveys from Customers.
    Which can happen, it just is annoying when it survey is not about you but another agent.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging everyone, you make it hard to leave.

"e2m"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - health insurance / 401k / awesome tuition reimbursement / shift bids. Free coke zero machines. Management tries to recognize agents for working hard, giving ice cream parties, treats, and competitions with prize rewards. Great job for a college student. Management can (at times) show investment in their employees, and take the time to really get to know someone and what makes them unique.

Cons

This happened in 2015, so it is stale information. However, in my time in one department, I spent 2 years in the same position. Management recognized my dedication, and knowledge of the company, and gave me more responsibilities, with a little taste of "the good life" I was moved to the 2nd floor, away from my colleagues, with no added pay. I was given an internship. I say good life because I went from taking call after call, to taking a few escalated calls a day, and even spent a good amount of down time shooting the breeze. Some weekends I only took two half hour calls, and sat around for the majority of my shift otherwise, while the 3rd floor took a lot of calls. The management team had better perks and rewards to recognize hard work. Management gave me that internship with the caveat that I should promote how well management treated my old colleagues on the 3rd floor. I was teased with an actual promotion for about 3 months, while I filled the role. I lead by example, and did my best to change the perception of management to a positive one. One day, I overheard a top manager implying a promise to give two other interns a full-time spot on the team one day, and soon after that my time was up. I got along well enough with the manager in question, but I didn't make the manager laugh like the other two agents. Favortism comes to mind, but that can be found at any job, so I'm not bitter about that - just being realistic. In the end, I was sent back to the 3rd floor, and was told to take on my old responsibilities (call after call) and just wait it out. Other agents went through this rotation, some made it, some did not. I've heard management changed since then, so this could be better.

May 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisitions

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review. As a company that strives to offer its employees with competitive benefits, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the benefits you received ... More

7. "Old, stale leadership"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the employee culture. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Stale leadership in SLC. The directors are selfish and very politically charged. Your merit is your popularity with them, not work performance.

Advice to Management

Offer severance packages to the service delivery directors. We need a change in our Sr. Leadership. lack of fresh ideas and 0 motivation to improve morale and offer great opportunities to those who work hard.

"Average company which lives in 2000's"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Big company
    * CEO has vision (but it will take years to change the engineering team culture)
    * People recognize it (Although they seem to be sad that you are working there and start asking why you are not working at Amazon)
    * Good work life balance
    * Some colleagues very helpful and knowledgable
    * Free breakfast

Cons

* They mostly hire average people. If you are above average, you will have a hard time growing. Your ideas get shot down, you get resistance from low performers.

*Most senior people wont help you learn the process and tools and there is very less documentation about them. I believe this is a way to keep your seat: Do not write documentation so you cannot be replaced easily by a better engineer.

*If you are average or below average you are in paradise. You will get promoted even if you just do minimal work but stay in the company. No incentive to care about the product, the code , or whatever you are doing.

* They don't keep up with the technology at all. For almost every tool, they use a custom in-house built one which is 3x worse than an open source one everybody out there is using.

* After spending years here you will learn almost nothing new because everything is custom made. It is only relevant if you stay at eBay. If you leave, that knowledge is not valid anywhere else. That is why senior engineers are trying to save their seats by politics and not allowing new engineers to learn.

* To write one line of product code, you need to learn about 10 custom build frameworks which do not have API documentation. You just keep asking around, creating help tickets.

Advice to Management

Fire half the engineering staff and keep the agile, open source minded people who care about code-reviews, coaching new members, owning the product writing good documentation.

May 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisitions

We appreciate your feedback. As a company that strives for a great work experience for all employees, we are sorry to hear of some of your experiences. We would like you to know that your feedback ... More

9. "Great People"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance!!
    The people are really more like family

Cons

more focus on new direction of ecommerce

10. "Customer Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great health ins

Cons

little communication from management. They do not allow the staff to watch the all hands , but they sit for hours each week watching them.

Showing 2,003 of 2,241 reviews