eBay Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,174 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be tricky (in 113 reviews)

• Too much politics is influencing decision making (in 82 reviews)

"Sexist leadership, no collaboration, lacks innovation"

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Competitive salary, bonus, stock
    Good insurance
    Free breakfast (but runs out fast)
    Generally friendly environment
    Easy onsite shipping if you use ebay platform

Cons

Sexist leadership
    Political environment
    Product development is slow and lacks innovation
    People are generally unhappy and creates a negative work environment
    No alignment on mission or goals accross cross functional teams
    Some offices are embarrassingly old

Advice to Management

I have been at ebay for a number of years and I had initially thought my colleagues were nice and collaborative. Now I feel that the company lacks collaboration, diversity, (with very few women in leadership), and promotes a sexist environment at all levels. Ebay misses the mark when it comes to employee satisfaction and their competitive salaries are not enough. They don’t understand that it’s all the little things that a company and its leaders do and say (or not say) that shows that you value your employees. So many of us feel that we are unfairly treated and invisible. I experience gender inequality on a daily basis. Ebay consistently struggles to make their employees happy. I am a high performer yet invisible because I am a woman and have no support by my male managers. Over the years, there have been many talented women who have left, or plan to leave for the same reasons. I hope ebay figures things out soon; other companies are taking the best candidates away from ebay as they should, or candidates are not even considering ebay as an option. I don’t want to lose more of my great colleagues to other companies.

2. "Site merchandiser"

Current Employee - Site Merchandiser in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Site Merchandiser in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ebay offers good pay, decent medical benefits, some other great benefits, and is an awesome company. Awesome location in the Silicon Valley. Unique connection to the Ebay community/sellers is motivating.

Cons

Limited resources and changing decisions and priorities throughout lead to limited team impact. Many times there are multiple teams having redundant conversations and projects rather than making progress.

Advice to Management

See above.

3. "Slow moving company with old technology stack"

I have been working at eBay full-time

Pros

Compensation is fair compared to the number of hours you have to work. Good people.

Cons

Slow moving company. Lot's of indecision. Top down company with executive making tactical decisions. Cannot take risk.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees. Take risks to disrupt and innovate. Stop the executive making every decision.

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work on own schedule. Make good money. Fast. Convenient. Effective marketing. Reaching a global marketplace from comfort of your home.

Cons

Annoying customers. Listing limitations. Hidden listing fees. Shipping restrictions. International customs rules & payment must be done by PayPal and no credit cards allowed.

Advice to Management

Please pay for shipping

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is good .
    Work culture.

Cons

Senior Managers are not good.

Advice to Management

no comments.

"Don't Let the "Values Talk" Fool You"

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many good, well-intentioned employees
    Good pay
    Good benefits (medical, dental, vision, equity, bonus)

Cons

Insanely political
    Progress-stifling bureaucracy
    Huge say/do gap
    Disingenuous about company values, purpose

I worked at eBay for 6 years, and my immediate team was the always the best part of the work. While John Donahoe and team made mistakes that led to the division of eBay and PayPal, they had a steady hand on the wheel and were unfailingly professional and respectful of the staff. Post-separation, there were high hopes for Devin Wenig and team, but while they have smarts and talent, they're also primarily focused on being technology moguls (veering towards tech bros) and in the news along side other SV leaders. While they talk a good game about eBay's purpose (supporting the creation and growth of small businesses), in the end their profile with media and the stock price are what the focus on (and always in the short term). Oh well.

Advice to Management

Try to find your souls. You might want to look below the Senior Director level for people who can remind you how to truly serve your customers and the communities in which you operate.

"Review their employees with unfair measures, to avoid paying bonuses."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place, with alot of opportunity, and there was good culture, they rewarded us, we got free bagels one day a week, free soda's and games, we get tshirts and can earn eBay swag, all the employees in the building are typically fun and smiley, happy to be there. There's alot of involvement over the holidays and throughout the year in different organizations. It's a casual environment and the immediate managers are completely great, on your level and willing to work with you on anything. We have coaches that help guide our careers and help us grow. There's also great benefits, like I've not experienced anywhere else.

Cons

Our entire job performance is now based on customer reviews, and it doesn't matter if it was a policy you didnt write, or if the review was actually for another member who took the call and passed it to you, its then yours. Every day, I come into a job, that is looking more and more like other places I've worked. Moral is low, the excitement to excel has ceased. You come into work and you're confronted with what you did wrong, or a situation a member is upset about. You then get the chance to justify it or explain the situation, but ultimately, its going to be the cost of your bonuses. You and your team, get reviewed together too, so if one person is doing poorly, its everyone who suffers. Furthermore, they fish for feedback from members by sending emails to ask for them to respond, so if someone had a call with an agent and it went poorly, and then we email about their experience and they say it was horrible, and you get that email to respond too, then their experience is then attached to YOU, not the person who took the call. The whole thing is really unfair and unethical. It doesn't give a good glimpse of an agents actual work.

Advice to Management

It is really disappointing to come into work each day to negativity. Being told, you need to do better constantly, or that you aren't keeping up with expectations. This makes me want to quit all together. I care less about my job than I did last month. It's an unfair situation, so why should I even try? I also don't see management doing anything to try and bridge the gap between Salt Lake and Austin. One of these places acts superior to the other and the agents there are not friendly and don't want to help. It's upsetting and we want to feel like a team. When will this be an important step in managements view?

8. "eBay Stores are Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pick your own hours and your own product line.

Cons

Informal, may not look as good on ones resume.

9. "Sr Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable work life balance and allow you to learn anything

Cons

You will get bored and getting job at other places will be difficult once you stay longer

Advice to Management

They have to be aggressive

10. "business analyst"

I worked at eBay full-time

Pros

work autonomy; sharing environment; cross functional cooperation

Cons

changing too fast to get something really settled to move forward

Showing 2,174 of 2,445 reviews