eHarmony Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
eHarmony CEO Grant Langston
Grant Langston

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Culture, no hours, free food, paid-parking, the employees (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Warm, smart colleagues, and solid change underway"

I have been working at eHarmony full-time

Pros

- Some of the smartest, warmest colleagues I’ve collaborated with.
    - Meaningful, fun product – with a unique opportunity to be surrounded by relationship science.
    - Perks – lunches and increasingly healthy snacks, subsidized Equinox gym membership, etc.
    - Poor leadership has been cut.

Cons

- Product admittedly needs innovation, but that’s underway.
    - Can be high stress. There’s a lot to do. That said, you won’t be bored, success is usually recognized, and work/life balance is respected.
    - Our top PPO plan (Blue Shield) could be better for coverage and cost .. Aetna had been great.

Advice to Management

The last few months have been a breath of fresh air.

2. "Sr. Copywriter"

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid to make love for a living.

Cons

You don't always make love.

Advice to Management

Take more risks and take the time to value the talent under your nose — it's some of the best and brightest.

3. ""5 star company""

Current Employee - Tech in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Friendly and smart people .Fun place to work, with good pay and benefits. Good work/life balance. Recently company made changes - 3 days a week free lunch, everyday breakfast,healthy snacks, open bar etc . Would recommend.

Cons

Read other reviews they sum it up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Exciting time to be at eHarmony"

Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*The mission of the company is awesome
    *The people who work here are smart and kind
    *There is a great work/life balance
    *There is a great desire to truly help people find love

Cons

*Westwood location is eh
    *You can not bring dogs to work

Advice to Management

I am very excited to be at eHarmony. I feel like things are more aligned than ever as the product improvements are coming quickly, there is way more transparency, and a truly open door policy with the CEO. I am happy about all of the changes made.

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA

I worked at eHarmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Working for a company that wants to make a difference.
    2. Culture, no hours, free food, paid-parking, the employees.

Cons

1. Pay
    2. Work-life balance at times

Advice to Management

A good amount of these recent negative reviews are biased and mainly emotionally based. Yes, there have been some management issues. The new leadership has made it clear they are fixing these, as well as the management. They truly care.

This company offers every employee the opportunity to do some really cool things. The culture allows for cross-collaboration across teams, and as a past employee who took full advantage of this, it is a great stepping stone for anyone starting out, or for a tenured practitioner wanting to refine their skills.

As far as the C level mgmt. reviews. This person was literally the first employee at eHarmony. He is the definition of the American Dream. Dedicated his work life, fully, to this company. Are his mgmt. skills the best? No, but he fully states this and tells you how to best deal with it. Anyone trying to blame everything on this one purpose doesn't understand or respect that type of commitment. He has earned that right from tenure and what he has done professionally for the company.

Elevated: The entire team are some of the kindest, smartest, genuine humans I have ever met and had the pleasure to work with. The product was built to make a difference. Their leader is a true leader, cares about the product, the customers, and his employees.

Don't let one majorly disgruntled employee leaving all these reviews sway anyone from applying here.

"Better than recent reviewers want you to believe!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eHarmony (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office space, some of the nicest employees you will encounter at a tech company, and a new executive team that is invested in the eHarmony brand and is actively engaged in improving the product. Coming to work every day is an enjoyable experience despite some market and business challenges.*

*Note: this is a REAL review from a non-executive. :)

Cons

Clearly a number of current and former employees were unhappy under the former executive team's leadership, and they have taken to Glassdoor to express their dissatisfaction publicly. The new executive team believes in eHarmony's mission and is making every effort to return our focus to the customer and the user experience, which is something to celebrate!

Some folks will always find a reason to vent, but my hope is that current employees who are disgruntled will channel that energy in to their work and making positive changes in the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold frequent all hands meetings to share current strategies and product changes. The more transparency the better!

"No career advancement and poor leaders"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at eHarmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Talented individual contributors
    - Weekly lunch
    - free snacks and soft drinks
    I worked for 2 years before I decided to move on . Over all I liked my colleagues and other team members .

Cons

Bad management and recent clean up of higher management only made it worse . They need a whole new management to clean up the whole mess . Building new UI won't get any new customers . There's a need for changing the business needs to address 2016 dating problems . None of the top leaders seems to understand that. Technology is ancient and with no vision and leadership ,Eharmony is ready for the sinking very soon

Advice to Management

Fire all managers or directors in the technology group and hire some best in the business .Most of these managers has been staying for ever ,with zero or little contributions to make Eharmony better . Introduce a 360 degree feedback and make manager earn their rating performance by working for the team like in many other product company . That will clean up some of them

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

We agree on several things: that the business needs have changed in this evolving climate of dating apps and technology, and that every employee at every level should be accountable and contributing ... More

"not innovative and bad leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free food - unhealthy and really fattening but free and lots of it. good work life balance.

Cons

Management is really unqualified and completely out of touch. So backwards and not innovative at all. Management is a great place to be at eHarmony if you are mediocre and was to find your forever home. You can do a bad job and stay there forever if you are in management.

Advice to Management

Have employees do an annual review of you and be held to some type of performance standard. Managers review employees annually but the managers never get feedback from the people who report to them. Many times the people the managers report to have no idea how the manager is actually performing.

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for the feedback. In the next few weeks an organizational survey will be sent to each employee. You will be given every opportunity to share your thoughts about your supervisor, your group ... More

"Solid company with one drawback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Village, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Village, CA

I worked at eHarmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries, location in Westwood is great, small company with a big company impact, nice perks

Cons

Senior leadership is all pretty solid...except for the CTO. He loves to drop names of people he's never really met and frequently makes up "facts" to fit his agenda. There's a reason top talent is leaving the company and it has a first and last name.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employee feedback and surveys.

"Salvaging a wrecked ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Happy with salary and benefits. They subsidize a gym membership and cater lunch every Wednesday. Most of the employees are fine to work with though there are some difficult people. Aside from working with good colleagues, I've also made good friends. The company has a noble cause of helping single men and women find their ideal significant other.

Cons

Meetings feel too abundant. Certain groups of people do seem clique. With the recent departure of the last two C-level executives and the promotion of two new ones, maybe there is a glimmer of hope for the company. The CSO, who has been with the company for years wearing other titles, should be removed as well. I'm not convinced the new C-level executives really know anything about running a company. It surprises me eHarmony has been up and around this long. The new CPO does seem to be more realistic about the current trajectory of the company so maybe he can turn it all around.

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

There has certainly been a lot of change over the past few months, and I have to say I’m pretty excited about the team we have in place and the future of the company. I recognize that there are ... More