eHarmony Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
eHarmony CEO Grant Langston
Grant Langston
1 Rating

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Culture, no hours, free food, paid-parking, the employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons

"It's been interesting, but the writing's on the wall."

Pros

The publicly perceived strong brand. Honestly that's about as good as it gets.

Cons

There's an immense lack of planning and clarity around how this company will survive the onslaught of new competition that pops up every year. The technology powering the dating algorithm is dated and not relevant anymore. It's an old business model from over 10 years ago. No one here knows how to succeed and you can sense employees are interviewing as people aren't THAT dumb. Business metrics are down, users continue to be upset, and the apps haven't improved their ratings.

Advice to Management

I don't think management has a solid plan to succeed

Oct 6, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

We are always working to improve internal communication. With a near term plan in place for product evolution, and long term planning currently happening, it’s hard to understand how an employee ... More

"customer service/ quality assurance"

Pros

great work/life ratio. benefits were outstanding. was able to get into different positions outside of customer service. ultimately, human resources treated me nice when i was laid off. i am grateful for that.

Cons

poor middle management. thought highly of themselves while pushing insane rules that did nothing to push company's bottom line along. ultimately the biggest con is the product itself which will no doubt cause a death spiral. with move to new ceo i shudder to think what lies ahead for those who remain. folks, you can not keep auto renewing the consumer while thinking your bottom line will not be affected. you must deliver on your promise of product or get out of business. i am happy that this company is long in my rear view mirror.

Advice to Management

get over yourselves. outside of those corporate walls, you are nothing, just another human being. quit hiring middle management based on popularity. higher more based on skill.

Aug 3, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

A couple of points I want to make in response to this. "You must deliver on the promise of your product." Completely agree. Can we do better? Yes. I've been in my role as CEO for 7 days and each of ... More

"Stone Age technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at eHarmony (More than a year)

Pros

As nearly every others pointed out: free Wednesday lunch, lots of snacks, coffee machine etc. all pretty standard perks for west side tech companies

Cons

Technology stuck in Stone Age. Bau (business as usual) always used as excuses to not advance. Infrastructure very old and outdated; ops scrambling to swap ancient servers; strong resistance to modernize; fake press releases about technology advancements which never happened; bad reputations in tech circles causing talents not willing to join

Advice to Management

Do real innovation, not just faking up interview stories, daring to reinvent yourself. Otherwise, this is a sinking ship.

"Cool to work for a company that cares about the world."

I have been working at eHarmony full-time

Pros

work perks; free snacks, food on wednesdays, pay for parking

Cons

$ not performance based; education based

"I'm glad to leave Elevated behind"

I worked at eHarmony (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great opportunity to help bring a new product to life.
    Work life balance was among the best.

Cons

The experience was best described as 'growing pain'. There was lack of maturity and professionalism from the leadership/management team. If you're a contractor, be prepared to be treated like cattle. Be prepared be take all the blames. And be mentally prepared to handle adult tantrums.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Be communicative. Be more willing to take feedback from your circle of trust. Don't misplace your trusts in a few.

Aug 5, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for being a part of the launch of Elevated Careers. I know starting any new business can be challenging, and I agree that good communication and openness are critical. Thank you for your ... More

"Innovation"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good compensation
    Most people are nice
    They like to give out stuff (mugs, jackets, backpacks) labeled eHarmony
    We get lunch on Wednesday (except if they don't order enough food)
    Mid level management seems in tune to what needs to be done

Cons

Ops understaffed (or overworked) can't keep up with or improve internal systems
    Innovation is lacking (reason for rating). The company wants to do one thing (compatibility) and that thing is already built. The result is that almost all of the projects are just database upgrades or migrations to different venders.

Advice to Management

Reduce process that slows down development. Work on new things that will help the company either internally or externally. At the very least encourage innovation in our core product to improve our customer's experience.

To HR: Give employees more than a week before asking for glassdoor reviews.

Feb 25, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I always appreciate different perspectives from the team. From my view of things, I feel we have never been more innovative – from the fast-approaching ... More

"Yikes!"

I have been working at eHarmony full-time

Pros

Most of the company's hires are very bright and hold lots of potential, and eHarmony pays decently in regards to the competition (although that's it - don't expect a raise afterwards). It also has all of the "fun tech things" that most Silicon Beach companies have adopted.

Cons

Despite what these fake reviews are saying (yes, someone in HR has let it slip that these are fakes), there is minimal career growth at this company. Employees are leaving in droves from every department and all ends with great reason: unless you're at the very top, no one gets actually recognized for their efforts (plus very poor management). Heck, even upper management is getting out of there.

Also, if you're someone who likes innovation and bright ideas, this is not the company for you. The company is very much into preaching and very little into actually doing.

Oct 3, 2014 – Chief Operating Officer

I can appreciate your perspective. Of course, we all have different lenses through which we see things, and from my experiences here I actually have witnessed more innovation from our teams than ... More

"Decline"

I worked at eHarmony full-time

Pros

Great product. OK benefits. Nice offices. People are generally very nice. Very interesting tech projects and approaches. Impressive matching team.

Cons

Subpar C-suite with questionable relevant skills. Current CEO is the 80-year old founder who still relishes the good ol days of hypergrowth and trying to recapture the early glory days of the company in a much different tech environment. He is surrounded by yes-men who validate his unbounded and often irrational optimism. Disagreement or speaking up will get you fired/marginalized, so lots of smart people have moved on to other marquee companies in socal, and the few remaining are either waiting for the right opty or just keeping head down to survive. A once thriving culture is very much gone. All the departures without explanation have left us with an ever-present fear and concern for the company's future. very stifling atmosphere. Only 2 people on the board of directors so no real oversight or independent vetting of direction. Options worthless.

Advice to Management

I wish you success in re-creating the company. For the touted new job matching product, you should take a deep look at your own company to see the dysfunction or maybe the positives that this reviewer is blind to.

Oct 23, 2014 – Chief Operating Officer

As I read this review, it reminds me of a very different time at eHarmony with a very different team and attitude. Thankfully, we have had much success reshaping the entire organization over the last ... More

"Technically enriching. Pays less."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good exposure to technology. Lot of software development best practices are followed. Free food on Wednesdays and meetings. Good office. Good brand name.

Cons

Favoritism and unfairness. Showing off is more important than technical competence. No scene of IPO for next 4-5 years.

Advice to Management

It's long time we diversify into other businesses as well. When will we IPO ? After the wave is gone and investors become afraid of putting money in IPOs ?

11. "Work life balance is good. Not good paymaster. Need to step up brand advertising."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

-Easy to maintain work life balance.
    -Some engineers are great. Potential for you to learn and apply new technologies.
    -Not many management layers. Can shine within company if you work hard.
    -Still a not a giant engineering team which is good in a way.
    -Get a chance to go to conferences.

Cons

-Pay is not good at Software Engineer level.

-Facing stiff competition right now.

-Recently the company moved to Santa Monica from Pasadena and many people had to leave as a result. But they have been very slow to get replacements despite knowing that they are facing stiff competition and need people for it.

-Engineering management, sprint planning and resource allocation in some teams can be a lot better. Last minute deadline setting is not a good idea.

-The work in engineering is not bad and there's lot of potential to do cool stuff that adds value to company but company has not been serious about Engineering Brand advertising efforts to attract people.

Advice to Management

Improve engineering management and set an overall short as well as long term strategy if you want to stand up to competition. Fill the vacant positions quickly. Brand advertising requires more of smartness rather than dollars.