eHealth Reviews | Glassdoor

eHealth Chairman, President, and CEO Gary L. Lauer
Gary L. Lauer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has total disconnect from the sales floor employee's (in 11 reviews)

• It was a great sales gig with all upside, now it just a call center with down trodden new highers all the time (in 5 reviews)

1. "Sounded great...at first"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at eHealth full-time

Pros

You get full benefits from day one, 401k, health & life insurance. Cool agents that work there, I made a lot of friends easily. The trainer was a good person and great trainer.

Cons

Well lets see...
    the compensation plan is demoralizing when you see how much work you have to do just to take home 59% of your commission, they give it to you as a incentive so the IRS and state take 41%.
    They will try to make the compensation plan seem wonderful to people who are naive about the business, then they will tell you to follow up with your book of business 3 days after the sale to establish a relationship so they can keep the residual commission, which you do not receive, they sell it to you as you being able to enroll that person in another plan in the next AEP.
    I thought this place is flooded with leads and calls on AEP why you guys want us to sell back to our book? Because your leads suck, and the medicare dept is the only thing holding this place above water. Those deceptive TV ads aren't working that good huh?
    After you get trained 8 weeks to work the script, you go out on the floor and your superiors want to re-train you all over again, too many managers that all have their own way of doing things, most new agents are confused about what to do.
     Then to make things worse they will actually sit behind you and micro-manage you to the point were they are telling you what to say while your on the phone trying to answer the customers questions.
    You will have to answer to a supervisor and a manager, which will frequently contradict each other and try to bully you at the same time, so you will be both confused and frustrated.
    They will expect you to overcome this on top of compliance which is a pain in itself. Then you still have to hit your numbers and talk to all the low income people who are led to believe they can get free dental and vision. No, im not exaggerating either.
    The seasoned agents live a whole different world, they are free to conduct their sales it seems and have more leeway in everything. I was unfortunately put in a team under a new supervisor who was trying too hard to prove herself, and that overshadowed the morale of the team, she said one thing but acted like another.
     She said to ask her questions, but every time someone did she seemed frustrated and irritated, she had this glare that basically told you not to ask her too many questions.
    Some of the agents got treated very poorly and I felt bad for them, not to mention having to see her coddle her favorite agent which her and her boss made it obvious they had a favorite.
    It was like a textbook on how NOT to manage people. The funny part about it is some of the seasoned bosses were really cool, a stark difference depending on who you talk to. One boss told me because I dress nice he was going to "use that against me."
    What does that mean ?
    Then to top it all off they actually have a department who monitors your calls so they can critique you sales process and give you pointers, from people who are hiding upstairs who don't sell! The ones who did basically chickened out or couldn't handle it, and went upstairs so they can criticize people who do! What a joke.
     If you want to work there and you get hired, hopefully you wont be in the same situation. My experience is unique and I think it was just bad luck and a learning experience. If you can handle the work and bonus tax, give it a go .

Advice to Management

Certain managers are way to arrogant to even listen so I will not waste time directing this to you.
     Have LESS active managing and supervisors. You will lose in the long run with this mass churning and burning, you will never retain or recruit the all star agents with this type of system.
    Get rid of the mid level managers who do nothing except brag about themselves, they get a kick out of demoralizing new agents, textbook narcissists.
     Allot of your agents do not like a couple of your supervisors, you need to have system were agents have a say on who they think would be easy to work with.
    It really doesn't matter this place is built on deception and will go down slowly on general principal. Cutt some costs on the worthless call quality dept, even the managers laugh at this dept and dont take them serious or their little reports.

"Very poor company culture"

Former Employee - Medicare Sales Representative in Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Medicare Sales Representative in Westford, MA

I worked at eHealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, Paid training

Cons

Management is a joke, very "cliquey" and unprofessional. Very little room for growth. The comp plan is also changing constantly and the managers micromanage everything you do. Don't waste your time doing a job that is not only very repetitive, but also very boring.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced managers. Give agents room to breath.

"Not a good place"

I have been working at eHealth full-time

Pros

Can't think of any Pros

Cons

Bad commissions, most of management has no idea how bad call quality is. Lie about schedule changing

"MSR"

Former Employee - Msr in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Msr in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at eHealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some supervisors try real hard to make it a great place to work. Some don't.

Cons

Upper management has total disconnect from the sales floor employee's. Want to keep a sales floor as quite as possible. Most of the good reps leave because they are not "allowed to sell". Unless it is the Ehealth way. Higher standards have gone way down, good sales people leave because the commission structure keeps getting overhauled to take away from the rep and more towards upper management. It was a great sales gig with all upside, now it just a call center with down trodden new highers all the time. Sad to see it go this way maybe that is why so many of the management that stated the SLC office have left.

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your sales force, make it a place reps want to bring their peers to work. Hire licensed reps with a solid sales back ground and give them the chance to grow.

"MSR"

Current Employee - Medicare Sales Representative in Gold River, CA

I have been working at eHealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay for your license, good benefits and PTO starts day 1

Cons

Commission is called incentives, and they tax it because of the way the co chooses, 30% to 40%...also they reduce commission during open enrollment, have to work weekends during open enrollment.

Advice to Management

Dont lie about the money. Stop the bait and switch tactics and start advertising to the 10,000 daily medicare beneficiaries aging in each day!

"Call center"

Current Employee - Medicare Sales Representative in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Medicare Sales Representative in Westford, MA

I have been working at eHealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Director of the office is great. He is the only reason people stay more than a couple of months.

Cons

Too much change and too many ideas that go nowhere. Most of the upper management is in California and when they come to our office it is really obvious they don't want to be here. And you let our best Supervisor leave!!!!!! Dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Don't come up with ideas on a whim and roll them out as if they are the second coming of the i Phone and then blast us when they fail. And take care of Joe. He's all that holds this place together now.

7. "Management needs some Spring cleaning"

Former Employee - Licensed Health Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Licensed Health Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at eHealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility. If you like being treated like dirt, you'll love it here. If you like being micro-managed, you'll love it here. If you like having very confrontational supervisors and management, this is definitely the place for you. It certainly was not for me. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's not for you or someone else.

Cons

I have worked in a few call centers before and this one by far was probably the second worst. I say the second because the facility was actually pretty nice. In regards to the people in charge, I have never been so mislead and treated like such a peasant by any employer. eHealth is by far the most nazi-esque company I have been employed with and I've worked for International Airports post 9-11 as well as federal and state governments. My time was short and sweet here. I was fired because of a ticket that I received over 20 years ago that I did not disclose. Who's really in charge here Hitler or Mussolini?

Advice to Management

Ease up on your background requirements. Bad things happen to good people. You lost a very productive employee that would have made you hundreds of thousand of dollars in profits all because of a measly ticket I received 20 years ago.

"Medicare Sales"

Current Employee - Medicare Sales Representative in Gold River, CA

I have been working at eHealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health Benefits. Talented and professional colleagues. Free leads. Company pays for all licensing, certifications, appointments and training. The training is excellent. Two veteran supervisors are great and very knowledgeable.

Cons

New supervisor and new Manager are micro-managers and uncaring. A very different breed than what the eHealth culture was in the past. NOTE: eHealth does not read, respond to or care what current and past employees have to say in their reviews. They will just keep the mill going regardless of the outcome.
    The company wastes an unjustifiable amount money on hiring new unknowing candidates when they should be paying the dedicated agents what they are worth.
    They offer an average amount of PTO, but days requested are usually denied and you are put on a wait list. Meaning..you will never get the time off.
    The commission plan is not reliable and has been cut many times and likely will be cut again. Most of us top-preforming agents are making approx 30% less in commission of what we were making in Jan 2015 for the same amount of applications submitted but much harder work due to call demographics. Call quality is horrible as a result of a nationwide TV broadcast. The commercial is misleading and the less-educated, very low income level Americans (or not) call looking for something free. 90% of the callers don't know why they are calling and are a waste of time. The calls are frustrating and stressful. The eHealth culture has shifted from a professional fun environment where you could make a decent living to a high pressure call center for not so good pay. The poor quality calls after call after call after call added to the low compensation, micro-managing and the struggle to get PTO approved, is a fast path for burnout!
    If you are looking for a long-term career in Medicare Insurance Sales, do not look at eHealth.

Advice to Management

To upper management; you have become exceedingly unapproachable. Listen to your employees. Ask us for our ideas. After all, we are the ones taking the calls and making the sales. To supervisors; We work hard and don't need to be micro-managed. Give incentive for your agents to perform instead of knit picking at every little thing. Praise people for a job well done!

"Bait and Switch Unethical"

Former Employee - Medicare Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Medicare Sales Specialist

Pros

None any more, company bit off more than it could chew now they're scrambling with bad pay and poor hours. Could of been one of the great ones.

Cons

The company lies to their employees, their customers, and their investers. Employees are always told lead ls are getting better and they are getting new accounts, that never happens. I little over a year ago they lied to their investers about their earning potential and it back fired, now to make up the difference they get bottom feeding leads and push agents to do the good old bait and switch. Every day you will people calling because they saw a commercial on t.v that had a bunch of empty promises, biggest one being dental and vision, after they call in its your job to convince somebody who has no clue that they need an MAPD plan. Most people that get enrolled have no clue what just happened, and most agents don't care as long as they get the sale. But with this industry and business model in order to be successful be ready for alot of sales allegations and possibly risk having remarks against your license which will pretty much stop you from working in insurance again. Not to mention they are getting sued by their former investors.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to recorded calls all day of other supervisors reps. So you can jump on other supervisors and make yourself look good. Look at your team first. Ethics, Be Ethical, you know the new lead source is bad in the long run, but nobody wants to put their foot down because than it makes their team look bad if other teams just fallow along. Have a back bone, don't teach agents to be unethical just because all they other teams are.

"Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at eHealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Nobody knows what they are doing
    Too much politics
    Horrible Management
    Micro managers and lots of racism