eMarketer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Terry Chabrowe

1. "Great place to intern"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, laid back culture in a beautiful office and a great location. The internship program throughout the summer was great – the coordinators put a ton of thought into it. Everyone in the entire place, even up to the CEO, is more than approachable and super friendly. The internship will ultimately be what you make of it. Great place to learn and get good experience.

Cons

Despite everyone being very approachable, there's a huge lack of training and mentorship. It felt more like a part-time job than an internship. Management only pays attention to their own projects unless you ask them for help or input.

Advice to Management

Feed into your interns. You can be hands-off while still showing an interest in them. Be more proactive about being involved in their work. It'll make a world of a difference for the company and for individuals who may become future employees.

2. "Great for your resume"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, awesome office environment, nice office and floorplan. Benefits are solid and you have unlimited vacation days. It's a great company to have on your resume if you want to stay in digital.

Cons

No matching 401k. Location...times square. Not much interaction between employees and senior level management even though they advertise themselves to be very accessible.

3. "Winning culture"

Former Employee - Chart Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Chart Editor in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

unlimited vacation/time off policy left up to the discretion of your manager, casual dress, brand new offices in Times Square, possibility to shift roles, work/life balance is highly valued

Cons

upward mobility in certain roles may be limited

Advice to Management

I would have liked to see my manager more often. I think he/she was excellent, but it would have been nice to develop our tight-knit team even more.

"Great stop & go or first gig in NYC"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer full-time

Pros

Technology leadership is top-notch, culturally, personally and technically. You will learn tons, because the team enforces it and encourages you to. Yet at the same time it's a relaxed, nurturing work atmosphere. They spare no expense on the equipment and you get to hack on bleeding-edge .NET stuff. There's a "if you're good enough to be here, you're good enough to be trusted to your decisions" kind of culture which is awesome. There's an obsession with improvement within the technical team, which can only be considered a plus.

The head honcho is a cool-ass cat who makes you feel like he's genuinely listening. He might not actually be, but he makes the effort with the periodical "donut" talks where you sit in a small informal group with him and just chat. They definitely take notes and you can see efforts being made to address those notes.

Also, um... unlimited vacations. The pay (in the tech space) is fairly competitive.

Cons

I've never experienced such social isolation at a workplace in 10 years worth of working in all kinds of firms, and I hated this more than anything else while I was there. There's the cool kids, the "in" crowd who've been there since forever, then there's the rest of the population, there only to sustain their existence. I feel like the office layout and politics enforce the segmentation.

Also, the 401k plan sucks. Good luck finding a doctor in Brooklyn with their medical plan.

Advice to Management

This is more to the middle management than upper or lower: It's not an agency. You're not creatives. You're not part of the "in" crowd. Actually, very much the opposite.

You. Are. Not. Cool. So stop it. Deal with it and be quit being a bunch of wannabe snots. And stop perpetuating the mentality down the ranks.

"Content team"

Current Employee - Content Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Content Team in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent group of people who are hard working and innovative thinkers. Laid back and comfortable work environment. Flexible work from home policy. 100% paid health insurance. Bagel Fridays.

Cons

No HR department. No 401k matching. Lack of diversity. Very difficult to get a promotion or raise. Company focus is almost entirely on sales.

Advice to Management

Get a real HR department before you get sued. Reward your employees with the pay they deserve.

"Moving on very soon"

Current Employee - New Business in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New Business in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free health insurance. Nice office (but quite sterile).

Cons

Atrocious management. Leader of new business team has said sexist things to colleagues of mine. Incredibly micro managed environment. Product is very straightforward, so not a complex sell.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparency around constant changes, and improve office culture.

8. "Great collaborative atmosphere."

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a very useful product and you get to work around some very smart people in the industry. This is a great position if you want to learn and grow as a sales or marketing professional. The pay is decent, but there is room for growth in this company as well.

Cons

Some of their technologies like their CRM and intranet were a bit clunky and overly complicated. The biggest con is that the sales training and ramping up process is almost nonexistent, so if you are thinking of working here, be prepared to learn on your own and ramp yourself up. The morale among employees was fairly low in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Invest more time and energy into the new biz and account management teams in terms of initial and ongoing training and incentives to keep everyone motivated.

9. "Exceptional"

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, smart people, great office, totally professional in every way. Caring about employees beyond anything I've ever seen. Truly exceptional

Cons

Underfunding of marketing materials for my division means we are disadvantaged in the marketplace. More 'what I can't do' vs. 'what I can do' as management approach. No equity offering or 401k match

Advice to Management

Structure an equity earn-out program for employees. Incentivize employees through better, consistent commissions and opportunity for equity.

"It has been a positive experience, professional and mostly collaborative culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very entrepreneurial, allows work-from-home arrangements and pays for health insurance. It is a forward-thinking, innovative company. There is no set vacation policy--the company allows you to take as much time off as you wish.

Cons

Movement up is challenging. There is a small cadre of decisionmakers and influencers that doesn't want to let anyone else contribute creative ideas. Management gives lip service to wanting new ideas but it's only from a select few.

Advice to Management

Tap into existing employees' hidden talents--uncover them, listen to them, instead of always relying on a select few. Don't always bias toward younger employees.

"Toxic work environment: favoritism is rampant, no HR, poor leadership (still)"

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited time-off policy, beautiful new office, intelligent co-workers and a highly respected brand. Compensation is competitive and medical benefits are 100% company paid (very high deductible):

Cons

The favoritism that exists at eMarketer is a real problem. VPs and Directors that have been promoted over the years are not experienced to manage, nor mentor their teams. Cliquey. Lack of diversity in terms of employees. The subscription sales & account management teams are in constant churn. No HR point person. No matching 401K. No Bonuses.

Advice to Management

Hire a new President and CEO. Bust up bureaucracy. Help monetize new ideas.