ePlus Reviews | Glassdoor

ePlus Chief Executive Officer and President Mark Marron
Mark Marron
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very good work life balance for engineers (in 7 reviews)

• Directors are approachable and willing to help (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tends to promote yes-men and yes-women with little regard for actual performance (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay scales If you don't bargain well and need some one on top to grow (in 4 reviews)

"management"

I worked at ePlus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the ability to meet and work with a lot of people nationwide.

Cons

the company promises things up front, like the ability to hire and grow your team, and then don't do it after you are already on board.

The company finds ways to not pay you for commissions, etc...they always change the comp plan, and they treat you very poorly

"ePlus - the good and the bad"

I worked at ePlus full-time

Pros

A leader in the technical solutions space. Great engineering expertise.

Cons

Over-political, and frugal to a fault. Senior leadership is unwilling to spend to streamline the business and/or invest internally to enable the field. There is no real delegation of authority or decision making outside of executive leadership.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to create a vision for the company and drive strategy and align teams to execute. Enable the field by removing menial and time-consuming frivolous tasks - invest in new systems to scale the business (such as SalesForce) and get away from ancient corporate management methods. Contracts and the conservative nature of the company is stifling to the corporate and regional growth and prevents the company from being able to take full advantage of its differentiators. Not nearly enough empowerment is given to leadership in the field. ePlus is like a holding company of several small regional sales and services companies that each have their own capabilities and expertise without the decision capability or ownership to exact any change.

Headcount and skill sets are micro-managed from the very top, and there is an over-emphasis on metrics created in heavy metropolitan areas that smaller and more rural regions are being challenged to adhere to. There is no common sales methodology or philosophy, and new sales and engineering folks really struggle until they understand the informality behind how to get business done and how to be successful with the inner-workings of the company. In most cases, new employees are left to figure it out on their own.

If you have a book of business or are a technical leader already in your field, there is some good success to be had at ePlus. The engineering expertise is second to none, and the selling engine is very successful. However, I didn't find that employees that weren't already confident veterans in their field of expertise stood a very good chance to be successful here. ePlus was also only willing to pay competitively if the prospective employee could provide proof of their current wage status with a W-2 and current pay-stub. They weren't willing to pay market price for talent and would pass on potential hires that might not be willing to share personal info such as a W-2 from a previous or current employer. Conversations with management around career plans, periodic reviews and simple cost of living raise increases had to be driven by the employee or were never conducted. New systems were being put in place to drive management to perform these, but they weren't being held accountable to actually conduct them - it just wasn't a priority to senior leadership.

ePlus Response

Apr 19, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate your input. We strive to create a collaborative environment, and are constantly working to empower employees to think and act strategically with... More

3. "Disjointed, unprofessional, scattered, poor management on the PM side"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Milpitas, CA

I worked at ePlus (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good with promise of bonus (not realized). Adequate benefits and vacation time with 2 personal days. Able to work remotely.

Cons

Worked there for 6 months and was not given enough project work to fill more than 3 hours a day, even though I advised on several occasions I needed more work. My manager was located remotely and would undermine my work by responding to my emails re-explaining what I already said. One on one calls with my manager were usually canceled at last minute. There was project work but my manager kept them with the explanation that they were too small for my pay grade. On my first week my manager let it be known my region was "messed up". A completely different story was provided to me at my interviews.

Advice to Management

Do not hire Sr. PM if you cannot provide them enough work to get to a decent bonus. Send your program manger to a training class on how to be a manager and not bad mouth the operation.

ePlus Response

Apr 19, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your post. We regret your experience at ePlus was not an ideal fit.

"Stay away"

I have been working at ePlus full-time

Pros

Not many to be honest. I enjoy the people that I work with if you take the work out of the equation.

Cons

Where to even begin? Low pay, red tape everywhere, cannot get ahead without a friend in a high place, and management prefers to sweep problems under the rug and hope they fix themselves instead of fixing issue. Don't worry about doing a good job, nothing is based on merit and there is no accountability.

Advice to Management

Does not matter what I say here, management would just argue about the advice for a month and then ignore it it anyway.

"Big Company - lots of management changes"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Big company and lots of vendors to work with across the board.

Cons

I was sold on the opportunity to work for a publicly traded company, big names, big logos and partnerships, and was very disappointed. Management has their own agendas and bring in all their old buddies to manage. No team work and lack of resources was frustrating.

Advice to Management

Be fair!

"Good for entry level"

I worked at ePlus full-time

Pros

Some good people in key support roles.

Cons

Compensation is terrible, but thats expected with most VAR's.

"sales"

Pros

Trying to transform the company to remain relevant

Cons

Lack of resources in the field. Had to always fly people in.

"Not a good place for engineers, take #2."

I have been working at ePlus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a solid company with a great portfolio of clients of all kind. Given variety of clients and projects you get to learn and work with a lot of cutting edge technologies. There are quite a few sharp engineers who are very dedicated and willing to help you if you face a challenge. You won't be micromanaged.

Cons

This is a sales company regardless what career opportunities they are trying to "sell" you on interview. Any professional development and training is judged upon whether it will make more sales at the end. Thus, they will rather willing to have you to do a miracle and develop yourself in 10 best-selling-this-year technologies/products than interested in having deep expertise in specific area. Everything is done on cheap. Salary is average, benefits are subpar, 401K match is a complete joke. Your hours are flexible, meaning you will be expected to work late hours and weekends to make the sale happen. Pre/post sales engineers are overbooked, frequently on the road and being teared apart by sales managers due to overlapping time frames and projects. Post-sales and managed services engineers are on the bottom of the food chain. Absolutely no career development plans. Training is mostly non-existent and limited to whatever self-paced material is available from vendors. Well known fact is that salary raises and promotions are only happening when someone is announcing about going to resign. Too much leadership and director titles but no real leadership.

Advice to Management

Wake up, economy is not that bad anymore: review your compensation levels and benefits. Respect your talent and stop referring your engineers as "bodies to make more sales" on national sales meetings. Plan on train and develop deep expertise rather than having "jacks of all kinds" with mediocre knowledge of dozen things. Promote within rather than hiring from outside (vendors).

"Dissatisfied"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at ePlus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to build your resume with different tasks (You won't get paid for those tasks though)

Cons

Lots of managers, directors, and VPs. Very few true leaders. Upper management tends to promote yes-men and yes-women with little regard for actual performance. Little growth for those that aren't willing to let politics dictate the integrity of his/her work.

Advice to Management

Hold management accountable for their department. Also, conduct annual reviews before issuing raises. You'd be shocked to know what their subordinates really think of their "leader"

"No backing from Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ePlus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits are ok, some of the people are nice.

Cons

Management will not have your back even when the processes are flawed. No training on procedures and if you do something wrong because you were not trained they belittle you through email and chat. I would not recommend working for this company

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect as everyone makes mistakes.