ecobee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
ecobee Founder & CEO Stuart Lombard
Stuart Lombard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at ecobee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership, great people, everyone is way smart, and mutually respected.

Cons

As a VC startup, the financial shortcomings have limited the infrastructure. HR was a late development and managers need a lot of training to be better supervisors, etc.

Advice to Management

When you promote a young technical person to a management / director role, you should insist they get supervisory/management training from an outside source.

"Great company to work for, could be improved."

I have been working at ecobee full-time

Pros

Ecobee is truly a great company to work for. Work/life balance is great, benefits are competitive and the culture is fantastic.

Cons

-If you work in the USA, there's no 401K or any other type of retirement plan.
    -Many peaks and valleys with regards to sales. A good portion of sales are driven by HVAC contractors, therefore you see peaks during heating and cooling seasons, and extreme valleys in the "off" months.
    -No product diversification; the success of the company is dependent on 3 SKU's.
    -No opportunity to advance, no opportunity to move horizontally.

Advice to Management

Have a clear career path for advancement, this is my only advice. There would be greater employee retention and loyalty.

"Fantastic leadership, excellent company culture."

I have been working at ecobee full-time

Pros

Excellent management and leadership
    Ability to work remotely or from the office
    Excellent benefits
    Fair compensation
    Autonomy to make decisions

Cons

Budget constraints
    Working with HVAC contractors can be taxing
    The time it takes to execute a project or initiative

Advice to Management

It would be great to have an org flow chart - because we're growing and hiring so quickly, we need to understand who does what at all times.

"A wonderful place to work."

I have been working at ecobee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment
    Very flexible work hours
    Easy to reach higher management
    Very fast growth, based on a solid product line

Cons

Internal system and procedures are not coping very well with the fast growth.
    No work space to accommodate new hiring.

5. "Best recruitment I've had"

Current Employee - Test Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Test Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ecobee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruitment:
    Email replies to question were mostly same day, and decisions took no more than 2. Recruiter was very clear with what they were looking for, and made the entire experience comfortable/convenient for my situation.
    Explained the work details and culture in an honest and clear way, which helped me decide that I would fit in much better at Ecobee vs other options.
    Workplace:
    Great location and a very fun and friendly group. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow your career. The product is SAVING THE PLANET, so you get to sleep well knowing you have good karma.

Cons

It isn't a tech giant, so it comes with the start-up type philosophy. If you don't feel like everyone at the company is on your team/family, and prefer to stay within the status quo, then ecobee probably isn't the right place.
    No foosball table

6. "Even after the honeymoon phase, it's still rewarding."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ecobee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ecobee wouldn't be what it is without the people that make it. Every person I've worked with, reported to and collaborated with has been receptive to new ideas and have no problem helping you out for the greater good.
    The vision of the company is clear and is made better by the people who come in and work their butts off every day to deliver that vision.
    This may seem a little dramatic, but I'm lucky and proud to say I work here. I never feel like going into work is this struggle as my role, management and surroundings is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

As with most growing tech companies, there are growing pains. Some minor flaws (that I can see from my department) is primarily communication and standardizing how departments work with each other. Structure is still coming into it's own and will find it's way eventually.

Advice to Management

You have talent here...Great talent. I've haven't seen you squander that yet, so please don't start.

"Let's get real. this company is NOT asking for good reviews from employees"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ecobee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for almost 4 years and I have seen how this company have grown. Management recognizes hardworking employees and knows how to appreciate it. If you are looking for a place who likes to nurture unstable employees, who likes to work less and get paid more, this is NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. HR team is always there to listen and they are doing a fantastic job to keep employees motivated.

Cons

The company is growing really fast. As a result, management has to find a temporary place for our team. I don't really think this is a con for this is a result of our success, however it is separating us from other departments which is inconvenient.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of good employees and improve good communication between departments.

Oct 27, 2016

Hi There! Thanks for the positive feedback. Every team member is important to our department and company success. We value strong teamwork and team players.

Andrew, Director of Support at ecobee

8. "Growing and expanding. bees are making honey (and money)"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ecobee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent team meetings - pizza/beer!
    - Lots of good rewards - Random Ice cream day, Company breakfast and lunches, Expensive Christmas giveaways etc.
    - Competitive pay and vacation days
    - Referral bonus (the highest pay out I've ever seen)
    - Expanding and growing so lots of room to improve and climb up if you're willing to work.

Cons

- Lots of work but what place doesn't have that! And a pro to this con is that Overtime is always available - No restraints!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.
    Take care of the employees within each department.
    Acknowledge hard work.

Oct 27, 2016

Hello! Great to see hear your tenure at ecobee has been a rewarding time. Great work ethic and hard work does not go unnoticed. Recognizing people’s efforts is what makes ecobee a great place to... More

"Great Culture - Technical Support"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ecobee (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with ecobee for just shy of 2 years now, and had previously worked with them while at another company on special projects. In my short time here, I have been given many opportunity's to advance and learn because this company rewards dedication and hard work. This is not a company that someone can expect to be elevated by simply doing their regular 9 to 5. Ecobee rewards the team members who strive for excellence and are hungry to learn. Small deeds and extra effort do not go unnoticed and recognition from superiors and other team members happens frequently. You always feel part of a bigger picture at this company and you never feel like just another employee on the phone.

-The people are friendly and always willing to help if it's required
    -The CEO is one of the most down to earth and respectable people I have ever worked for. His passion for what he does trickles down through the company and makes everyone truly feel like they are working towards making a difference
    -lots of vacation time
    -Schedules are set so there should be no surprise to anyone and should you ever require time off, management is flexible enough to help you work around it. Even if the time can't be provided, the other team members are usually more than happy to swap shifts to assist you.
    -The new HR deparment is wonderful and has really helped streamline much of the process. Their assistance in the hiring process has eradicated any possibility of lack of staffing. We are hiring rapidly and it's all thanks to HR!
    -Fast paced and exciting environment with a product that's worth gushing over.
    -Management wants and listens to your input.
    -Company meetings keep the entire team informed of whats going on
    -Great location, access to transit and other amenities
    -Job security. With how fast this company is growing, as long as you do your part, you can expect a desk to work at.

In short, this company has a culture and an expectation. If you expect to skate by doing the bare minimum this isn't the place for you and is what i suspect . Work hard and you'll be rewarded, simple as that.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at this time. This has and still is my favorite job i've had to date and I don't plan on going anywhere soon.

Advice to Management

Continue to be picky when hiring new employees, choosing only those that match the culture and level of work effort everyone else has worked so hard to uphold.

Oct 27, 2016

Thank you for thoughtful feedback. The company fosters a strong culture to be great at what we do. For this to happen we have people that continually shoot for excellence, achieving great results... More

"Tech Support Rep"

I have been working at ecobee full-time

Pros

I've been here for little over a year. This is such a great company to be a part of if you like startups and getting to roll up your sleeves and learn many different things. If you are a big company person you probably won't do well here.

Great central location near good food and subway
    Great Supervisors, boss and fun team
    gym membership $20 a month to Goodlife
    stock options
    a lot of vacation time
    full benefits covered!
    free food every day
    continued training and a lot of promotions cross functionally and laterally (check out LinkedIn profiles)
    Supervisors are very good at helping train people
    A lot of cool company events... (ex: free pizza lunches, ice cream Sunday afternoon, bbq at the CEO's cottage a couple weekends ago for the whole company)
    No dress code
    Cool technology... rated number one review by users on the web so customers are generally very happy

The company has been growing a lot and doing really well! They probably have more money than most large companies and they have managed their growth well. I see a lot of potential.

Cons

Some people don't put in the effort into their job and then blame the company. So certain people shouldn't be there. otherwise most of the people are really friendly and welcoming. When I was new I felt that everyone was there for me to help me get up to speed.

Honestly can't think of anything else

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Oct 27, 2016

Hi there, we appreciate the acknowledgment. The entire ecobee support team works very hard, everyone understands how important our role is to the success of the company. The level of enthusiasm we... More