eharmony Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
eharmony CEO Grant Langston
Grant Langston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Free food, insurance, gym, yoga, they have a bar upstairs (open at sometimes (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfair expectations (ie no work-life balance) (in 7 reviews)

• You have to patient in terms of career growth (in 4 reviews)

1. "Current employee"

I have been working at eharmony full-time

Pros

Catered lunches and breakfasts
    Great coworkers
    Great benefits

Cons

Management micromanages
    Not a lot of opportunity for moving upward in the company

2. "Fun!"

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee friendly, free lunch. Very well organized, good processes in place. Fun activities.

Cons

Some contractors who worked there had too much control. Too many personality conflicts.

"Working Hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is working hard to catch up with the times which will always entail growing pains and the touch choices that come with change. But they are doing it openly and honestly in my opinion and although it was determined that my role was no longer needed at the company I feel like I was dealt with in a professional manner.
    The CEO has an open door policy. He is a long-term eHarmony employee who cares about moving the company ahead. He also understands what it's like to be a team member of a company in flux and I feel he strives to make decisions based on what is right for the customers and the employees.
    The mission for helping people have positive dating and relationship experiences remains as strong as ever.

Cons

Yes, the company is currently in change mode. And change takes time and is uncomfortable. But I believe that the people who strive to make a difference at eHarmony will have a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

Try harder to convince everyone that you are willing to listen to everyone and not just the highest up executives.

"Making great progress"

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for over a year and yes it's been challenging, but we are starting to see the benefits of the hard work. I feel optimistic about the future and that wasn't always the case.

Everyone is really nice to work with and I don't feel like there is any real politics or backstabbing here.

Location is great. Lots of cheap eats in Westwood.

I like my manager and the people I work with.

The mission is great (helping people find love) and it's always nice to meet a "success couple" in the office.

Free food in the office

Good benefits.

Cons

Is eHarmony perfect. Of course not. We have our challenges as an old internet company trying to stay fresh and relevant. The uncertainty of the business may be a con to some, but as I see it, every business has their challenges. In the end, it's the people you work with and the mission that's most important.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and honest to employees. The layoffs were hard to deal with, but having a clear justification and showing how these changes are improving the business really helps.

"It's improving"

I worked at eharmony full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is bouncing back after a lot of recent changes and the new leadership. It's always about people, I really enjoyed working with my teammates and we were pretty close. The company culture is great and people are open to new ideas.

Cons

Doesn't have the best morale at the moment, but it's certainly growing back

"Technology"

I worked at eharmony full-time

Pros

Good team and very knowledgeable

Cons

Lots of changes in the company

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Working for a company that wants to make a difference.
    2. Culture, no hours, free food, paid-parking, the employees.

Cons

1. Pay
    2. Work-life balance at times

Advice to Management

A good amount of these recent negative reviews are biased and mainly emotionally based. Yes, there have been some management issues. The new leadership has made it clear they are fixing these, as well as the management. They truly care.

This company offers every employee the opportunity to do some really cool things. The culture allows for cross-collaboration across teams, and as a past employee who took full advantage of this, it is a great stepping stone for anyone starting out, or for a tenured practitioner wanting to refine their skills.

As far as the C level mgmt. reviews. This person was literally the first employee at eHarmony. He is the definition of the American Dream. Dedicated his work life, fully, to this company. Are his mgmt. skills the best? No, but he fully states this and tells you how to best deal with it. Anyone trying to blame everything on this one purpose doesn't understand or respect that type of commitment. He has earned that right from tenure and what he has done professionally for the company.

Elevated: The entire team are some of the kindest, smartest, genuine humans I have ever met and had the pleasure to work with. The product was built to make a difference. Their leader is a true leader, cares about the product, the customers, and his employees.

Don't let one majorly disgruntled employee leaving all these reviews sway anyone from applying here.

"Better than recent reviewers want you to believe!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eharmony (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office space, some of the nicest employees you will encounter at a tech company, and a new executive team that is invested in the eHarmony brand and is actively engaged in improving the product. Coming to work every day is an enjoyable experience despite some market and business challenges.*

*Note: this is a REAL review from a non-executive. :)

Cons

Clearly a number of current and former employees were unhappy under the former executive team's leadership, and they have taken to Glassdoor to express their dissatisfaction publicly. The new executive team believes in eHarmony's mission and is making every effort to return our focus to the customer and the user experience, which is something to celebrate!

Some folks will always find a reason to vent, but my hope is that current employees who are disgruntled will channel that energy in to their work and making positive changes in the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold frequent all hands meetings to share current strategies and product changes. The more transparency the better!

"Solid company with one drawback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Village, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Village, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries, location in Westwood is great, small company with a big company impact, nice perks

Cons

Senior leadership is all pretty solid...except for the CTO. He loves to drop names of people he's never really met and frequently makes up "facts" to fit his agenda. There's a reason top talent is leaving the company and it has a first and last name.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employee feedback and surveys.

"Good culture, good benefits. Fun people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits (catered lunch once a week, several possibilities for gym memberships, good medical/dental)
    HR is accessible and available w/answers to your questions
    Good culture - coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable. You're not afraid to ask a question. Atmosphere is mostly relaxed
    Nice new digs... But I'm not a fan of Westwood
    Work/Life Balance is awesome

Cons

Management is always tied up in meetings. Too many meetings.
    Not as transparent as it used to be. Would be nice to see who's working on what
    Not that easy to be promoted in the current department I work. Would be nice to be able to crossover and work in other departments to learn more and help my own job.

Advice to Management

Have more 'just the headlines' meetings and have departments present what they're working on.
    Have less meetings. Involve more of your lower rung employees to give them access to promotion opportunities. Have managers plan out roadmaps w/each employee.