eharmony "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor

eharmony Employee Reviews about "free food"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company, great people, fun place!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Westwood, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-- Tech team is very talented. There have been some changes lately for the good.
    -- There are some really good engineers on the iOS, Android, Front-end, Back-end and SDET teams.
    -- Fast paced environment. There is never a dull day at eHarmony. The tech stack used here is the latest.
    -- If you have a good idea and want to get it done, there is no one stopping you from doing it.
    -- The immigration paperwork is done super quick and through premium processing whenever possible.
    -- HR is very helpful whether it is for immigration concerns or if it is for setting the workstation ergonomically.
    -- Free food almost every day of the week
    -- Healthy and tasty snacking options
    -- Yoga Thursdays!
    -- Flex working hours. As long as you get the work done, no one cares when and how you do it.

Cons

-- Last year was bumpy and some people have quit fearing the worst.
    -- Few ineffective employees.

Advice to Management

-- Keep hold of the good people
    -- More focus on hiring intelligently
    -- Weed out ineffective employees

"Making great progress"

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for over a year and yes it's been challenging, but we are starting to see the benefits of the hard work. I feel optimistic about the future and that wasn't always the case.

Everyone is really nice to work with and I don't feel like there is any real politics or backstabbing here.

Location is great. Lots of cheap eats in Westwood.

I like my manager and the people I work with.

The mission is great (helping people find love) and it's always nice to meet a "success couple" in the office.

Free food in the office

Good benefits.

Cons

Is eHarmony perfect. Of course not. We have our challenges as an old internet company trying to stay fresh and relevant. The uncertainty of the business may be a con to some, but as I see it, every business has their challenges. In the end, it's the people you work with and the mission that's most important.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and honest to employees. The layoffs were hard to deal with, but having a clear justification and showing how these changes are improving the business really helps.

"Great place to start your career."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment. Most of the people I worked with are my friends even outside the work place.
    Autonomy at the workplace. You can design stuff end to end, no TPM's to meddle with your tasks or stories.
    A lot of new technologies to work on. The company has a good outlook in terms of adopting new technologies that can help the business.
    You can move fast in terms of work since it's a small environment and you can reach out to people easily.
    Management is also very understanding and patient with unforeseen delays and blockers.
    Decent Perks and benefits. Free food, insurance, gym, yoga, they have a bar upstairs (open at sometimes.. :) )
    Great work life balance.

Cons

You have to patient in terms of career growth.
    I don't really see too many cons, but dating space these days is very competitive and slowly turning into a freemium market, hence I feel the company should add more features,
    And expand their reach with more products that target different market segments (like younger audience..) to grow bigger.

"Going down fast unfortunately"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westwood, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive salary
    - Some very smart and nice people work here
    - Free food
    - Subsidized gym membership

Cons

- Layoffs every few months as a result of which every person is carrying a lot more weight
    - Executives do not seem to know what they are doing
    - Stone-age marketing. Who watches TV anymore!
    - Stressful work environment
    - No innovation in product

Advice to Management

Cannot think of any. It's too late to salvage.

Jul 27, 2017 – Chief Executive Officer

I am sorry you had a stressful experience, and I agree that reimagining the business and making substantial changes isn’t easy. The good news, which I shared yesterday with the team, is that after a... More

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Working for a company that wants to make a difference.
    2. Culture, no hours, free food, paid-parking, the employees.

Cons

1. Pay
    2. Work-life balance at times

Advice to Management

A good amount of these recent negative reviews are biased and mainly emotionally based. Yes, there have been some management issues. The new leadership has made it clear they are fixing these, as well as the management. They truly care.

This company offers every employee the opportunity to do some really cool things. The culture allows for cross-collaboration across teams, and as a past employee who took full advantage of this, it is a great stepping stone for anyone starting out, or for a tenured practitioner wanting to refine their skills.

As far as the C level mgmt. reviews. This person was literally the first employee at eHarmony. He is the definition of the American Dream. Dedicated his work life, fully, to this company. Are his mgmt. skills the best? No, but he fully states this and tells you how to best deal with it. Anyone trying to blame everything on this one purpose doesn't understand or respect that type of commitment. He has earned that right from tenure and what he has done professionally for the company.

Elevated: The entire team are some of the kindest, smartest, genuine humans I have ever met and had the pleasure to work with. The product was built to make a difference. Their leader is a true leader, cares about the product, the customers, and his employees.

Don't let one majorly disgruntled employee leaving all these reviews sway anyone from applying here.

"not innovative and bad leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free food - unhealthy and really fattening but free and lots of it. good work life balance.

Cons

Management is really unqualified and completely out of touch. So backwards and not innovative at all. Management is a great place to be at eHarmony if you are mediocre and was to find your forever home. You can do a bad job and stay there forever if you are in management.

Advice to Management

Have employees do an annual review of you and be held to some type of performance standard. Managers review employees annually but the managers never get feedback from the people who report to them. Many times the people the managers report to have no idea how the manager is actually performing.

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for the feedback. In the next few weeks an organizational survey will be sent to each employee. You will be given every opportunity to share your thoughts about your supervisor, your group... More

"do not recommend"

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

tons of free food. good work life balance.

Cons

they are not innovative at all. the way they do things is really antiquated. they have sub standard managers. no opportunity for career growth. poor performers can hang out forever at eHarmony especially if they are in a management position.

Advice to Management

think outside the box and hire managers who are actually qualified for their job.

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

It seems oddly coincidental that so many of the recent posts reference long-term managers (among other similar language). We’ve made many changes to management recently, so I’m curious to know if... More

"Analyst"

I have been working at eharmony full-time

Pros

Awesome culture
    Great co-workers
    Great in-office perks (free food, nap pod, paid parking)

Cons

Work-life balance
    Promotion more based on tenure then merit

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Welcoming, forward thinking, and focus on fostering happy, motivated employees."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated co-workers, healthy and collaborative atmosphere, great benefits, free food and fun company outings. Was immediately struck by the effective communication between team members as well as the positive atmosphere. It is great working someplace where people are optimistic about the company and product.

Cons

While communication within specific teams is fast and effective, communication between teams needs improving.

Jan 7, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

I am so glad you feel we have a collaborative and positive workplace. I completely agree that communication has improved tenfold in the last several years, and I am eager to hear any ideas you may... More

10. "Some good perks, but not what it used to be"

I worked at eharmony full-time

Pros

Lots of free food and snacks, most people are nice

Cons

Aftwr the move to Santa Monica, the entire vibe changed. The drive plus little direction or way to move up made a lot of people look elsewhere

Advice to Management

Promote from within, and in some kind of system where the same people don't get promoted time and time again while other employees get nothing, this destroys morale