eharmony "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

eharmony Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Making a great comeback!"

I have been working at eharmony full-time

Pros

The people are smart, nice, and easy to work with! (most of them)
    Upper management has greatly improved and is leading the company in the right direction.
    Clean office space, free snacks, free drinks, catered food, benefits
    Occasional company outings

Cons

Some people here have been here for so long that they resist change (and bring along a poor attitude), which can impact our pace and culture.

Work-life balance at times

Advice to Management

Hire more talented people and get rid of the people who are not contributing and have a bad attitude at work.

"Smart People,Great culture and Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very warm and smart colleagues and there are constantly new learning experiences at work
    The mission of the company is very encouraging to come to work every day
    Lots of perks like breakfasts, free lunches, subsidized gym membership etc.
    Good work life balance and stressless environment which helps in delivering bugfree product

Cons

Should try delivering more creative product to keep up with competition
    Recent layoffs are little uncomfortable but thinks are bright again

"Great place to start your career."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment. Most of the people I worked with are my friends even outside the work place.
    Autonomy at the workplace. You can design stuff end to end, no TPM's to meddle with your tasks or stories.
    A lot of new technologies to work on. The company has a good outlook in terms of adopting new technologies that can help the business.
    You can move fast in terms of work since it's a small environment and you can reach out to people easily.
    Management is also very understanding and patient with unforeseen delays and blockers.
    Decent Perks and benefits. Free food, insurance, gym, yoga, they have a bar upstairs (open at sometimes.. :) )
    Great work life balance.

Cons

You have to patient in terms of career growth.
    I don't really see too many cons, but dating space these days is very competitive and slowly turning into a freemium market, hence I feel the company should add more features,
    And expand their reach with more products that target different market segments (like younger audience..) to grow bigger.

"No Harmony"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, some good people.

Cons

Cliquish management and senior engineering braintrust, loudest/most senior voice wins. Projects spun up and thrown away willy-nilly as management grasps at new ideas to keep product alive. If you are an engineer be prepared to be on call 24/7, forget about work-life balance, all due to creaking infrastructure that breaks daily. Good luck getting sleep because you will be expected to answer emails at 3 am. Ancient technology struggling to get along with the new world.

Jul 27, 2017 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for your candor. It’s always welcome. From where I sit, a very thoughtful roadmap was put together this year to help address any technical challenges and improve usability. I hope that you... More

""5 star company""

Current Employee - Tech in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Friendly and smart people .Fun place to work, with good pay and benefits. Good work/life balance. Recently company made changes - 3 days a week free lunch, everyday breakfast,healthy snacks, open bar etc . Would recommend.

Cons

Read other reviews they sum it up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Warm, smart colleagues, and solid change underway"

I have been working at eharmony full-time

Pros

- Some of the smartest, warmest colleagues I’ve collaborated with.
    - Meaningful, fun product – with a unique opportunity to be surrounded by relationship science.
    - Perks – lunches and increasingly healthy snacks, subsidized Equinox gym membership, etc.
    - Poor leadership has been cut.

Cons

- Product admittedly needs innovation, but that’s underway.
    - Can be high stress. There’s a lot to do. That said, you won’t be bored, success is usually recognized, and work/life balance is respected.
    - Our top PPO plan (Blue Shield) could be better for coverage and cost .. Aetna had been great.

Advice to Management

The last few months have been a breath of fresh air.

"Exciting time to be at eHarmony"

Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*The mission of the company is awesome
    *The people who work here are smart and kind
    *There is a great work/life balance
    *There is a great desire to truly help people find love

Cons

*Westwood location is eh
    *You can not bring dogs to work

Advice to Management

I am very excited to be at eHarmony. I feel like things are more aligned than ever as the product improvements are coming quickly, there is way more transparency, and a truly open door policy with the CEO. I am happy about all of the changes made.

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Westwood, CA

I worked at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Working for a company that wants to make a difference.
    2. Culture, no hours, free food, paid-parking, the employees.

Cons

1. Pay
    2. Work-life balance at times

Advice to Management

A good amount of these recent negative reviews are biased and mainly emotionally based. Yes, there have been some management issues. The new leadership has made it clear they are fixing these, as well as the management. They truly care.

This company offers every employee the opportunity to do some really cool things. The culture allows for cross-collaboration across teams, and as a past employee who took full advantage of this, it is a great stepping stone for anyone starting out, or for a tenured practitioner wanting to refine their skills.

As far as the C level mgmt. reviews. This person was literally the first employee at eHarmony. He is the definition of the American Dream. Dedicated his work life, fully, to this company. Are his mgmt. skills the best? No, but he fully states this and tells you how to best deal with it. Anyone trying to blame everything on this one purpose doesn't understand or respect that type of commitment. He has earned that right from tenure and what he has done professionally for the company.

Elevated: The entire team are some of the kindest, smartest, genuine humans I have ever met and had the pleasure to work with. The product was built to make a difference. Their leader is a true leader, cares about the product, the customers, and his employees.

Don't let one majorly disgruntled employee leaving all these reviews sway anyone from applying here.

"not innovative and bad leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free food - unhealthy and really fattening but free and lots of it. good work life balance.

Cons

Management is really unqualified and completely out of touch. So backwards and not innovative at all. Management is a great place to be at eHarmony if you are mediocre and was to find your forever home. You can do a bad job and stay there forever if you are in management.

Advice to Management

Have employees do an annual review of you and be held to some type of performance standard. Managers review employees annually but the managers never get feedback from the people who report to them. Many times the people the managers report to have no idea how the manager is actually performing.

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for the feedback. In the next few weeks an organizational survey will be sent to each employee. You will be given every opportunity to share your thoughts about your supervisor, your group... More

"do not recommend"

I have been working at eharmony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

tons of free food. good work life balance.

Cons

they are not innovative at all. the way they do things is really antiquated. they have sub standard managers. no opportunity for career growth. poor performers can hang out forever at eHarmony especially if they are in a management position.

Advice to Management

think outside the box and hire managers who are actually qualified for their job.

Oct 4, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

It seems oddly coincidental that so many of the recent posts reference long-term managers (among other similar language). We’ve made many changes to management recently, so I’m curious to know if... More