f.y.e. Reviews | Glassdoor

f.y.e. Reviews

Updated November 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You'll probably meet some really cool people who share interest in music and movies with you (in 47 reviews)

• Employee discount, few fun customers (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is out of touch on the store level (in 25 reviews)

• All it is is telling someone about a discount card and asking if they want to try it out (in 20 reviews)

"Okay job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gadsden, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gadsden, AL

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and the environment is great if you are used to being around an assortment of entertainment. Definitely more of a geek culture.

Cons

Management very strict about numbers when it comes to selling membership cards and magazines. Also, discipline if you try to come up with more efficient ways to do your job, better to just go with the corporate system in place.

Advice to Management

More freedom for employees to improve the store.

"Senior Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Orange Park, FL

I worked at f.y.e. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products the company sells is cool. The customers are friendly until they realise they have been scammed on the membership.

Cons

Upper management does not know how to talk to employees, has been known to hire family and friends instead of people qualified for the job, then pits people against each other for their own amusement. compulsively lies about customer complaints when never has proof of this. If you are not on their bbgood side he picks on you instead of helping to keep you.
    The store managers don't care how you get the drivers and encourage you to not explain it correctly to the customers causing them to be scammed. Also, inconsistency with preorders cause irate customers.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. Make it an equal opportunity to get promoted and stay promoted without being in the special group of friends

"Give something besides threats"

I have been working at f.y.e. full-time

Pros

Pay is alright from my position if you don't have other places to be in life.

Cons

Pay is low considering the stress that is put on everyone who's in the stores. Have good employees quit because all they get for what feels like scamming people is a thumb up but no type of compensation for actually doing it. Management in stores have to break their backs for changes every month every week just to keep the idea that doesn't sell loke they imagine.

Advice to Management

Constantly talking about how much the company has made but not doing anything for the employees. Offer something like commission for even the people at the bottom. Get them motivated besides the "your lose your job or get a pat on the back" notion that the company believes is supposed to motivate them.

4. "it's an okay job for a teen"

I worked at f.y.e. part-time

Pros

pretty cool job for a teen in high school.
    get to interact with the costumers
    get 30% off anything at the store
    great of your into the products there

Cons

more order
    schedule needs to be set
    pay isn't reliabl.

"Fye's unfair and condescending treatment of their employees starts at the very top with Jim Frering."

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager

I worked at f.y.e. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, special events, employee discount, cool product, decent healthcare benefits for full time employees, promotional items such as t-shirts and cds

Cons

Upper management literally expects you to deceive people into getting a discount card and magazines that begins as a free trial but will end up charging them. If you do not meet company's set expectations, you're often belittled and put on a daily conference call or expected to send multiple emails to your district and regional managers each day to report how many sign ups you have so far.

The company overloads the stores with tasks, making it impossible to juggle loss prevention, customer service, store maintenance, and whatever project they want done. Like most retailers, they often leave the stores short staffed which make these things even more difficult.

Stores are often overcrowded and disorganized for this reason.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. If you have to rely on outside companies such as Synapse and Affinion to keep your business open, there is a problem within the company. I suggest you focus on making the stores profitable by cutting costs in certain departments that just do not sell. Every year we seem to get the same product for Christmas that we sit on for years to come. Buy product that will sell. Action figures and collectibles should be trending/nostalgic items. Not just random figures. Bring the prices down, stop being so greedy. No reason why the candy is as expensive as it is.

6. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Positive environment, enjoyable people, constant customers in and out of the store so time flies.

Cons

Hours can be hectic, especially during holidays; if you don't have a high tolerance for annoyance, it's not a great place consumer-wise.

Advice to Management

my management was always great and very kind and understanding with me.

7. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at f.y.e. part-time

Pros

Employee discount, few fun customers

Cons

Management, selling discount card, everything

Advice to Management

Don't be disrespectful to your employees, even the ones that are meeting your "sales goals." Those are the worst. I have to promote and sell the cards that are supposed to save people money, yet it charges them. And the dreaded magazines... I have worked at the store for over a year and a half, and I'm happy to finally be quitting. The managers do not care about their employees, they are so uptight about small things, like the color of my shoes or hair. I come in with gray shoes (that are just more comfortable) that will match my gray shirt, and they throw a fit. I dye my hair purple for a bit of self expression, and they immediately say I can't have it, even though customers gave so many compliments. I checked my personal associate handbook to make sure it wasn't against a policy, and they repeatedly told me it was. That was only a couple instances and I wish I could list the plenty of others I have. Regardless, the CONSTANT aggravation from management, let alone the customers, is enough to not wish this job on anyone.

"Not worth the stress"

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at f.y.e. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting people interested in music and pop culture.

Cons

Having to hard sell loyalty cards, magazine subscriptions, and warranties to every single customer. When you don't make your personal and store goals on these items you get written up and threatened with termination. There is also an impossible to keep up with daily workload. Payroll is so light there is only single coverage 3-5 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Let employees just sell the product instead of spending all their time pitching "drivers" which are really rip offs for the customers. Once someone gets burned, they won't come back, and that's why f.y.e. is struggling right now.

9. "Started good, went downhill. Stay away."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at f.y.e. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It can be very fun discussing movies and music with customers. It is what made me initially love my job and is why I continue to subject myself to this company.

Cons

There is an insane amount of pressure to sell the loyalty card, magazine subscriptions, and to get people's e-mails. It is a LOT to ask in one transaction. The loyalty card is not free, it is $12 a month and can be used other places, but most people don't do this. The charge is automatically billed to the credit card used to sign up after 30 days if the customer doesn't call to cancel. This 30-day free trial is what you push. The goal is 1 out of every 10 credit card sign-ups, but it's more like 1 out of every 5 for the ever-climbing "company average." You will be compared to stores that don't tell the customer that the card costs money. If you have no morals and are okay with scamming people, this won't be a problem, but if you are willing to lose a few sales because you want full disclosure, then this gets very old very quickly. The company sends about 10 e-mails a day to your store, begging/threatening the managers to get their numbers up. You will be fired if you go two days in a row without signing someone up. It was NOT like this when I joined the company years ago.

Advice to Management

Realize that people do not want magazine subscriptions. It is 2017. Also, I know of MANY stores that don't tell the customer the loyalty card isn't free, and you do not seem to care because it makes you money. You can grow and change as a company without sacrificing your morals and ethics. I know CDs and DVDs don't sell like they used to, but there has to be a better way than scamming people. It is NOT the employees' fault that people don't want a loyalty card to a failing company. Your desperation shows in the 10 threatening e-mails you send to the managers every day.

"They React faster then they look into problems"

I worked at f.y.e. full-time

Pros

Great staff to work with

Cons

When you report someone for Stealing they turn around and let you go with a package because they believe you are the one that is really stealing.

Advice to Management

Ask Questions before you react and keep the real thieves working for you and let the Loyal ones go