f.y.e. Reviews | Glassdoor

f.y.e. Reviews

Updated April 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You'll probably meet some really cool people who share interest in music and movies with you (in 48 reviews)

• It is fun and a great environment to work and has a lot of cool stuff and all of the employees are awesome (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats sales associates poorly and disrespects them (in 21 reviews)

• All it is is telling someone about a discount card and asking if they want to try it out (in 18 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA

I worked at f.y.e. (Less than a year)

Pros

the CEO is super nice and cares about the employees.

Cons

if you don't reach your goals you get your hours cut.

2. "Nice part time job while finishing up college"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Altadena, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Altadena, CA

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours if the store manager is willing to work with your schedule. My store had a great staff, which made for a positive work experience.

Cons

It's retail. The cons are usually out of managements control. Unless you have a manager who will back you up.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and make sure customers do, too. Having a manager that would not allow for his employees to be abused by customers made me do my job that much better. I knew that my hard work was appreciated.

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Hairstyles / tattoos not a problem, we always had good relationships between co-workers and managers, distribute expectations and work among people on each shift, came up with fun ways to achieve daily sales goals

Cons

Very difficult to get the raise you deserve, hard to get acknowledgement for good work

Advice to Management

Be more strict with people who call out multiple times a month & show some value for committed workers

5. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Information Counter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Information Counter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at f.y.e. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Music, games, tv talk all day. Employees aren't bad when they actually show up.

Cons

customers, sale goals, employees come and go, sales goals are met mostly with white lies about what its useful for.

6. "It's okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Very fun place to work at. I loved the community and the family I made working there

Cons

Very poorly set up management. No one actually cared about the job.

Advice to Management

Don't be so harsh on your employees they're trying their hardest

"Absolute worst job you could ever have"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at f.y.e. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good merchandise. Nice customers. Nice employee discount. That's really it. Everything else is so horrible

Cons

Expected to work off hours all the time. Expected to have a conversation with every single customer upon entering the store. Horrible higher up management. No help whatsoever. Unrealistic expectations. I can go on forever

Advice to Management

Listen to your store employees. Just because the CEO is saying something doesnt mean it works at store level and stop giving unrealistic amounts of task and get mad when it isn't done when we have a million and one things to do. If I could give no stars I would. The dms and rms don't understand what it takes to get the job done or to help. Hire dms that know what they are even talking about

8. "Went out of business."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

Pros

Got to see the new releases on movies and music and had a discount. Meet lots of new people. Varying shifts.

Cons

Training wasn't that great. Not a lot of communication. Coworkers didn't have much personality.

Advice to Management

Store went out of business 2 months after I started. Corporate should have better communication with stores.

"Sales Associate - Part Time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Horseheads, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Horseheads, NY

I have been working at f.y.e. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers are pretty chill and fun to be around, being around music and movies all day, using existing knowledge to help customers. Decent hours for a college kid.

Cons

Discount can barely be used, when half the store is on sale. Also, I hate having 8 steps posted on my monitor on things to ask customers about and having an actual script to get VIP card sign ups. Some people do not want to pay 11.99 a month for only 10%. I hate having to ask for email, Scratch protection, magazines, vip/platinums all in one transaction. Way too pushy.

Advice to Management

Please stop giving us scripts and 8 things to ask customers. VIP's either need to be a better discount such as 20% or a lower price. Would be nice if there wasn't a specific goal for these. Magazines should be irradicated, no one reads these thanks to the ipad. Seriously, asking these things bothers customers and makes them not want to come back.

10. "seasonal"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

manager was kind. assistant manager (male) became an issue with being flirty with me. female assistant manager was the one to go to if you had any real questions.

Cons

short shifts, lots of pressure to con people into signing up for ridiculous things. corporate didn't seem to care that people really didn't feel like paying for a discount that they'll only use once a year.

Advice to Management

learn to schedule people for actual shifts. don't expect people to want to stay forever when you made a verbal agreement it would likely be seasonal.

11. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at F.Y.E. was great! Get to talk about your movies and music all day, not to mention the fact that music plays all day while you work!

Cons

The only huge problem I faced while working at this establishment was the pay rate. I loved working there but one of the reasons I left was because I could not afford to work there anymore based off of what I was being paid.