Cover image for Foursquare

77 Comments

Tech

625.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Foursquare~492487
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Foursquare? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Foursquare employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company to work for

Nov 4, 2022 - Ad Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong onboarding and Welcoming team

Cons

None, company truly cares for their employees well being

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Failing tech bro company with lack of direction, trust and transparency

Jan 18, 2023 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fully remote work - Competitive industry pay - Learning stipend

Cons

- Lacks any company culture, especially since the pandemic, acquisitions (competing legacy companies), and mass layoffs (4+ in 2022) - Accountability in teams is lacking due to bandwidth (caused by shrinking teams) - Siloed departments that don’t communicate with each other (eng/product/sales need to work together better) - Leadership (especially CEO) doesn’t have clear vision/direction for the company

3. Join the Foursquare team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

Toxic bro culture

Jan 19, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Toxic bro culture where CEOs friends are prioritized over others. Company does not care about employees and were told “do not ask what your company can do for you but what you can do for your company” during the last company meeting. Lack of direction and strong management. Lack of career growth and opportunities (unless you are buddy buddy with the CEO). Toxic culture. Competing company cultures resulting in no company culture.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall good place to work

Dec 28, 2022 - Software Engineer III
    Business Outlook

Pros

Helpful and positive coworkers Good work/life balance Open lines of communication to people above you

Cons

Recently made too many high-level changes which has lead to some things slipping through the cracks (for example, performance reviews) Disconnects between engineering and management on timelines

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good Company

Jan 9, 2023 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits provided by the org

Cons

Knowledge from the top down

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent work/life balance, reactive/messy, lack of transparency

Apr 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent benefits for wellness - You'll get the opportunity to work with some very smart and collaborative teammates - The company has been financially doing well and profitable for the last several quarters

Cons

- Complete lack of transparency from the exec team. Execs mandate that folks write their names next to questions they submit for all-hands or they "won't answer it". It's completely valid and fair for people to not want to tie their names to questions given the power dynamic at play there. Management expects transparency from the entire company, but are not willing to be transparent themselves about company level initiatives like compensation reviews, DEI...etc. For example, we did an entire exercise last fall around compensation review to make sure that we're being competitive with the market. Between January - March, management team completely ceased communication around this topic including avoiding the question when it's been asked in engineering and company all hands. - Reactive culture: when key people churn on a team, then it becomes a priority to build up the team even though the red flags were there for multiple quarters - Lack of comms around attrition. Exec wants to keep attrition and departures hush hush and as a result, some people don't find out that a co-worker they collaborate with has left the company until an email bounces or you see that their slack has been de-activated. - DEI: We hired several engineering and data science leads in the last quarter and not a single hire was a woman. The company is also not willing to put a DEI metric in company or team OKRs - Competing cultures between 3 different companies. - High expectations around shipping features and products w/o giving the team the sufficient headcount it needs

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0

Decent place

Dec 9, 2022 - Data Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people, good perks, work-life balance

Cons

Salary isn't where it should be

9. 3.0
    Former Employee

The tide is turning, beware.

Apr 21, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, decent benefits and so far flexible wfh (but we sadly expect that to change)

Cons

Foursquare is in a weird spot and leadership is mostly to blame. We hit goal in 2021 with many headwinds, but the tone is different this year. We have unrealistic goals and out of touch execs. They are trying to show massive growth to IPO, but they don't understand what’s feasible. In our all hands, the CEO makes us feel like we’re not doing a good job (despite 94% attainment so far with unreasonable expectations). With more in person events lately, the CEO is also clearly off script and the tone doesn't sit well with employees. People are losing confidence. He should lift us up and inspire, none of that here. No charisma. We have botched product launches and he responds "we move fast"...well now we burn client bridges. The company will soon be tracking every email and recording every call. Doesn’t set a good environment. We’re turning into the type of place people leave in mass exodus. Promotions can take 3 years for top performers with an average 3% raise. They are really stingy despite telling us constantly they are investing in their people. Attrition is out of control...I wonder why? Many of these reviews are obviously fake to improve the low score we had prior due to previous company missteps.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0

Layoffs

Nov 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Talented, smart employees who are a pleasure to work with - Summer Fridays (every other Friday off in the summer)

Cons

- Two round of layoffs less than three months from each other - Shifting work to cheaper countries

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Couldn't Ask For a Better Opportunity

Aug 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I couldn't be more pleased with my role here. My team is filled with phenomenal, hard working individuals who are extremely supportive of me. Despite being an entry level employee, my team puts great trust in me, and I am encouraged to run with my own ideas and lead conversations. The benefits are great, there are tons of learning opportunities, and I am well compensated for my role.

Cons

No cons to share at the moment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 149 Reviews
</>Embed

Foursquare Reviews FAQs

Foursquare has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 174 reviews left anonymously by employees. 68% of employees would recommend working at Foursquare to a friend and 47% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Foursquare employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Foursquare. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

68% of Foursquare employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Foursquare 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Foursquare to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, career development, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Foursquare Job Seekers