francesca's Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Steven Lawrence

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always listen (in 116 reviews)

• The work-life balance is terrible (in 27 reviews)

"Many Ways they Need to Improve"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at francesca's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good discount
    -can be a fun environment
    - great staff and connections

Cons

-Hq being out of touch with how the store works daily

Advice to Management

1. Why is there only 1 register at many stores? So unacceptable.
    2. Why isn't there a manager computer? Managers have meetings to conduct, numbers to pull, schedules to make and it all has to be done at the ONE register.
    3. Stop with the annoying constant confusing sales. BOGO this item but not this item and sometimes mix and match sometimes jewelry- staff has to make time to post signage everywhere and also explaining to confused customers. "sorry that hat counts but not the necklace even though last week it would have been ok."
    4. If you only send me 4-5 items of one thing, and I spend 2 hours creating a super detailed window display, in 2 days i have to rip apart bc i'm selling those items. So don't come for managers who are trying to make it work with only 1 red top left and no shorts.
    5. Enough with the stupid gag like gifts. You're venturing into spencers territory. For every cute mug there's 3 stupid items that fall apart after 3 months because no one wants to buy it.
    - Overall you cant say every meeting CUSTOMERS FIRST CUSTOMERS FIRST when I'm trying to display 500 gift items on a table and the manager has to use the one computer while a line forms while one customer wants the last top that's in the display window.

2. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at francesca's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You're treated like an actual individual with francesca's.
    Everything is genuinely done & put into place for you & your employees well being in mind. They teach people first. And live by it. Its radically different from anywhere I've ever worked before & i adore it. I've never gone into work dreading my day, I'm excited to go to work each day.

Cons

The company is changing a lot, its now corporate. Which is great!
    But, there's small things that are falling between the cracks because of it. Like store managers not getting the feedback or information they require. Or IT not being reliable in the slightest. Its not really their fault, its kinda a developmental thing that comes with expansion. But it leaves managers rather frustrated. They need to focus on corperate positions, so they have more hands on deck to deal with these issues. Luckily our district & regional managers are saints & do their best to keep us updated.

Advice to Management

Clear. concise. Communication.
    Teach people on their level, ask how they learn & adapt the promise to their learning style. If you just keep trying to teach "your" way & don't take this into consideration your staff eill nevrr learn, because they'll never truely understand their position. Treat everyone on your staff with a srnse of ownership in the business. You'd be AMAZED how much stylist appreciate thing & how well they'll take to their role within the brand.

3. "Assistant Boutique Team Leader"

Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager

I worked at francesca's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are clear ways to advance within the company and the training program is incomparable. It's a great starter job for those wanting to get into fashion/retail/customer service!!

Cons

I worked 30 hours/week as a full time student. I picked up extra hours when we were short staffed and was putting in 110% every time I was in the business. I asked off some weekends here and there and my manager always seemed to roll her eyes at it. She contradicted herself about flexibility and availability on many levels. There always seemed to be a problem with employees asking off for certain things, yet she didn't follow the policies for scheduling for herself. Towards the end, I was catching a lot of grief from the store manager about my schedule and availability and was asked to put in more than 30 hours a week (as a full time student) and be at the beck and call of the store when needed. It was very frustrating as the first 10 months of my employment were exceptionally flexible and no problems were had. I was a prime example of a Francesca's employee and still felt as though my time was not valued in or out of the boutique. At one point I was told that it was my obligation to take all the shifts no one else wanted, and was also told my boss didn't feel like I sacrificed anything for my job.

Advice to Management

Value other peoples' time, don't overwork them, and try to put yourselves in the shoes of your team. Get to know them on a personal level to create a more relaxed and positive work environment as opposed to a passive aggressive and hostile workplace. Employee happiness is key in driving succes on the sales floor!

4. "Assistant boutique manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at francesca's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on location it can be full time, bonuses, visual freedom, discounts of 50% off like twice a year. If not BTL you get 30% off.

Cons

They will expect you to run the store, employees, visually do everything, basically be the brains behind it but will not pay you for any of it. I am the highest paying ABTL in my district and I am over worked, I go in every shift with 110% and walk out feeling so used and barely have energy to just drive home. You are working as if you are commissioned based and expected to know the guest inside and out to build a better clientele for the company but try doing it for 9hrs straight with only a 30min break and as you are on the floor you have to make sure yourself, one or two others on the shift are doing the exact same or else you need to give 'in the moment feedback' on how they are not asking the right questions or do not have the guest name right away or making the guest in the fitting room 'come out ' and show us the outfit. I am telling you this company will suck you completely dry and anytime a promotion comes along they will hire from outside before internal promoting. I've been told multiple times how my leadership skills are phenomenal, I work great with all managers and staff members, visuals are always beyond expectations so why am I not promoted? Because my position is to hard to fill at a trier 1 elevated store.. I've had 4 Boutique manager position open up (yes the turn over is big) and all because we are close to holiday they can not afford to have my position open. So please look into they company before applying specially for a manager position, I would only recommend this company for seasonal hires or someone who is looking to build retail experience as a key holder.

Advice to Management

PAY US LIKE HOW YOU WANT US TO WORK! Stop being cheap and promote the girls in their boutique they work hard for it!

"Extremely Selective and One-Sided"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at francesca's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be a fun work environment, and if you do your job to the company's standards, you will find helping customers is a pleasant and rewarding experience.

Cons

Unfortunately, not everyone will be rewarded for their hard work. The wages are low, the hours are competitive, and for a place that prides itself in always promoting within, they rarely do. Corporate focuses far too much on who is bringing in the money and does not care to look at those who have true potential. They are more likely to hire externally than to trust who's already been there and working so hard to get the benefits they deserve. I've seen a lot of good people leave because of this, and it takes upper management forever to figure out how to fix the hole those good people have left. Most of the time they will spend weeks on end interviewing outside candidates, but when they don't have other options, they will finally promote someone. However, because they've shoved the good people out, their only options are the incompetent ones who stick around. It's a desperate attempt to make it look like they know what they're doing, but no one is happy to work there because of it. I've dealt with this nonsense a good two years, which is a long time compared to most who find bigger and better things faster.

On a marketing standpoint, it is no better. Lots of the product found in the boutiques are extremely overpriced, which is apparent when the company is constantly changing their promotions that basically lets you have them at next to nothing. As cheap as some things can get, it is a marketing ploy, where you are required to buy more in order to save more. The promotions happen so often and inconsistently, that if you're a customer shopping on a day where there is no deal, you ask yourself "why bother?" and leave. Sales do not benefit at all from this, and yet, corporate looks at it as the employees are not selling hard enough. They think the store's team lacks proper customer service, when in fact, you can find quite a bit of the product online for much cheaper from this company's competitors.

Advice to Management

You say you're all about growth, but you treat those who truly want it as a threat to your own position. If you want to keep your job, show your employees that you deserve it by honoring those with potential. Don't try to be a monarch that keeps putting others down and "in their place." If you don't change, you will continue down this maniacal rabbit hole of constant turnover until this company digs itself into the ground.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at francesca's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok/average for management positions.

Cons

CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION! Please take my advice and look the other way when considering to work for this company. This company is based on a customer service marketing strategy which requires you to basically bug the crap out of EVERY single customer that walks in the door. I have been in retail for over 10 years and never have I seen a company require so much from it's employees with no compensation.
     There is literally a whole 5 point script (franny 5) of words and phrases you must say exactly to the customer like, "what occasion are you shopping for?", and my favorite, "whenever your ready you can come out of the fitting room and we can look at it together". All while making sure your really "genuinely" connecting with the customer. When management comes to do their monthly visits, the environment becomes extremely hostile and stressful because they observe every employee and makes sure they are doing and saying WORD FOR WORD all of these things that are supposed to be said. If not, you must expect they will correct you and tell you what you did wrong.
    Please take my advice! If I had known what I was getting into before I started, I would've looked the other way.

Advice to Management

If you expect employees to have commission based customer service skills, than maybe reconsider the starting age in which you hire which is 16 or change your marketing strategy. 16 year olds do not feel comfortable asking a million questions to an older women!

"The promise kills me inside/ people are okay but turnover is high bc you're over worked and under appreciated."

Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Addison, TX

Pros

The pros are company discount/ visual merchandising gives you freedom and cool company mercy that comes in everyday which can be exciting

Cons

Where do I start.. they focus on a promise that only has 5 steps total but they manage to have 5 conference calls every week to discuss it

Advice to Management

To upper management me I would say that the promise doesn't work.. it's not genuine and you're actually not delighting them every time bc they feel overwhelmed by you following them

8. "Assistant Boutique Team Leader"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at francesca's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts for clothing.

Cons

Better training for all staff members. Lack of work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Learn to better problem solve regarding drama within the workplace.

"Great place to get started"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at francesca's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room to grow, good bonuses, company contests

Cons

no cons, loved the opportunity this company gave me

"Good Retail"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at francesca's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for, the employees and management are nice people and have become my friends along the way. The company accommodates you as best they can as far as travel and expenses.

Cons

It is retail, the scheduling is hard because it is very inconsistent. It is easy to move up if you work hard and put yourself out there, but once you get a manger role it takes a few years to go further.