francesca's Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Lawrence

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management is harsh at times, bad understanding of time (in 109 reviews)

• District manager is a micromanager (in 47 reviews)

"Good company at corporate level, local level upper management sucks."

Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at francesca's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training. Good discount. Corporate was great. I had to communicate with them regularly to health issues and medical leave. They seemed to truly care and did everything they could to accommodate my situation.

Cons

I've never worked some place where everyone was out for themselves and didn't care about anyone else. I had to go out on medical leave and came close to dying. I never got a card, flowers, or even a phone call to see how I was doing. My sister had to initiate conversation with my district manager to keep her updated on how I was doing. Store manager told me she didn't care about or trust any of the employees. Very toxic environment.

Advice to Management

I'm sure not all of the managers were like mine. If possible, better screen your new hires, especially store management.

2. "Unfairly treated"

Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at francesca's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers. That's really it.

Cons

The only one who gets 50% off is the manager.

Advice to Management

District managers need to treat lower management with more respect. Absolutely horrified with how things are ran in this district.

3. "A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at francesca's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work environment at Francesca's. It feels like a local business where management actually cares about you.

Cons

It's extremely hard to move up and it takes time but if it's something you want it's defiantly worth the time.

5. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at francesca's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Closed on thanksgiving and easter,lots of visual freedom,able to make guest happy when it comes to return policy they promote from within often.

Cons

Unrealistic when it comes to customer service. You are expected to be right in everyone who enters face. When the stores don't make goal you feel it! Corporate is all over the place. Large markdowns of the same stuff every week with outdated system

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at francesca's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really fun atmosphere and upper management is really involved- they visit the stores a lot and truly care about the business.

Cons

Employee discount- the manager gets 50%, but everyone else on the team only gets 30%- and the company does not promote from within at all.

7. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at francesca's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun environment and I love the company. Great learning environment with opportunity for growth

Cons

Under poor store management other than that no complaints

Advice to Management

In need of a more encouraging store manager who's willing to teach

8. "Management Issues"

Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager

I worked at francesca's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment; Our staff was like family. District and Regional managers check in the stores often and are involved in the store's success.

Cons

Discount- They gave 30% to all the employees except boutique managers who received 50%
    Promoting from within- They never promote from within. Our DM had never worked at Francesca's.
    Upper management- At one point, there wasn't a DM or BM for the store

"See a trend??"

Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager

I worked at francesca's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. Most of the team is wonderful and willing to work hard. Growth opportunities are something they really harp on but I didn't stay long enough to find it out. I did see one manager get promoted while I was there.

Cons

Where do I start?? I was an assistant but WAY overqualified to be one. They didn't have a store open and tried to sell me on growth. They really omitted a lot of things before hiring me, one being that PTO is nearly non existent. I have been in retail for almost 13 years. Never have I had a job with no PTO or sick time! That's unheard of! You have to earn it and it comes out to roughly 6 days a year. 6 days is nothing! My boss was rude and condescending, I don't know how anyone worked for her, she was unbearable. Her life was signed away to the store it seemed, and I'm not into that. I need work/life balance as do 99% of people that work in retail or any job! The pay is terrible! Most assistants aren't even full time which is awful because they deserve benefits. I just happened to be at a store that allowed for a full time assistant. My reason for joining was to be a store manager, and instead I'm being borrowed at stores two hours away because no one can keep a staff. This isn't what I signed up for, I signed up because I thought the company would be a great fit. I'm a great fit for them because I'm a hard worker and really good at customer service, which they are big on. However, they aren't a great fit for me at all. I'm leaving for a higher paying job that appreciates me more. But if you read the reviews, you'll see that most people giving negative reviews were assistant managers. It's probably one of the worst jobs I've had in retail, they don't really care about their people, just the numbers.

Advice to Management

People really do work for people, and working for a bad boss makes a job intolerable. I wish that more managers lived by this philosophy, it's extremely hard to work for someone that treats you like dirt. Bad bosses and pay are the main reason why people leave jobs, and that's definitely the case with me.

10. "Assistant Botique Leader"

Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager

I have been working at francesca's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great system that helps the associates and the guests really get comfortable with one another. This company is a growing company so there's opportunity to grow with the company.

Cons

This company doesn't compensate it's workers the way they should. The entire set up of the boutique including the outfits are put together by the teams in the stores and for the amount of effort and labor that goes into making the store as visually pleasing as it is, the associates are underpaid.

Advice to Management

This is specifically to district managers, don't take on stores that you're not going to fully commit yourselves to. Every store counts no matter what tier they are or the level of volume.

11. "Assistant Boutique Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager in Duluth, MN

Pros

Friendly staff, great clothes, fun work environment. Not a super difficult job.

Cons

District manager is a micromanager. The company is obsessed with the "promise" which can be very be comfortable. For example they want us to walk into fitting rooms to ensure the perfect fit of the customer. Should get paid commission for everything they want us to do.