gategroup "career progression" Reviews | Glassdoor

gategroup Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated Apr 14, 2017

2.3
gategroup CEO  Xavier Rossinyol
Xavier Rossinyol
Pros
Cons
  • "The MD left in the summer and has not been replaced, there is no senior management in Luton and no direction to the people who are left there(in 6 reviews)

• "Not a lot of career progression for most people, rare pay changes(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews

"Comfortable place to work"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at gategroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual business environment, in nice location,

Cons

Not a lot of career progression for most people, rare pay changes. No training or teaching opportunities

Advice to Management

Focus on People First and retention because turnover is a number one issue that clients are now complaining about

gategroup2013-08-17

"The worst company in every way shape and form."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at gategroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Apart from free coffee, tea and an adequate pay check that comes in at the end of the month. Absolutely nothing.

Cons

The list is endless... I could probably write a book as to how bad this company is but will summarize in short. - Treatment of staff: Senior management use psychological bullying tactics to threaten their employees to perform outrageously demanding tasks which often does not fit into their job description. I was employed in an analytical role in the marketing team and the first few months I was told to do nothing but empty bins, wash dishes and dispose of rubbish. -The Senior Management: They do not care at all about the employees welfare, they are only concerned about covering their mistakes and shifting blames on others if a mistake occurs (especially younger employees, those newly employed or lower down the pecking order. Senior management bully employees and are extremely rude in general and will stop at nothing to get to the top even if it includes stepping over others for their own personal benefit. -Company culture and working environment: One word - shocking. I cannot express in words how bleak of an office environment it is to work in. Everyone looks depressed, sitting their like ducks waiting for the hours to go by aimlessly with no real sense of purpose of direction but to simply tick the hours over. It is often dead silent with stressed out employees wishing day by day they could find a away to leave the company. People do not look forward to going to work and I'd say 75% if not more are genuinely depressed. It is astonishing how miserable people look at their desks, eating alone, often hear crying in the toilet and people sleeping in their cars for lunch breaks. In addition salaries are extremely low paying - probably 15% lower than the national average. -Development and career progression: If you are starting in any position it is almost impossible to progress up the ladder, as the company is so focused on cutting costs and maximizing shareholder wealth only. People are stuck at a dead end job no matter how hard you work you will not get the recognition you deserve from senior members. The only real motivation for employees in the business is not to be hassled by their demanding bosses and to work just hard enough not to get sacked. The area itself as well is extremely bleak. There is literally nothing do around the area and everyone shoots off home after work as they cannot wait to get out. No after work drinks, prizes or anything. I was thrown right into the deep end with no training whatsoever and hence had no idea what I was doing for the first year or so, my managers had no time for me whatsoever and when I made a mistake due to a lack of knowledge I was blamed heavily for it and threatened arrogant senior managers. Realistically the the senior team are depressing individuals themselves and only vent their depression and anger toward lower ranking employees. Company structure: The organisation has been undergoing structural change for a number of years. In fact this has made matters worse as processed and decisions are shambolic and highly disorganized often resulting into fear of job security or employees being made redundant. People are inconstant fear of their job. The list goes on.. I would strongly recommend to stay clear of this company in every way shape or form possible. It is almost worth being unemployed and finding another job rather than working for this company. It is a dog eat dog company culture with no atmosphere, buzz or any benefit I can think of. Good talent goes to waste, staff turnover is extremely high. It actually got to the point were it affected my physical and mental healthy. Definitely not a healthy environment to be in. One final thing, the office banter is truly truly poor. Unfunny jokes, poor banter and everyone judging one another. Communication is weak, people send emails to the person next to them if they want an action done / want a request. STAY CLEAR AT ALL POSSIBLE COSTS

Advice to Management

Treat their employees with respect at the very least. Invest in some proper training, definitely need more company benefits, such as trips abroad for high flyers, prizes and more recognition for hard work. Actually start caring about the employees - HR and senior managers need to stop pretending to care.

gategroup2017-04-14

"Difficult place to work and be successful in"

Former Employee - Procurement in London, England

I worked at gategroup full-time

Pros

Global exposure, with opportunities to travel and live abroad. They are trying to make things better. Tough it out for 18 months to get the experience you need and then move on. Gategroup will give you the global experience faster than most employers.

Cons

Very little data, overly complex matrix organisation, poorly defined processes, limited career progression and rewards for staff who are expected to work extra hours for free. Threatening behaviour from Managers, equal balance between leaders who micro manage and others who will not take responsibility enabling them to point the finger when things go wrong. Not enough people to do the job. Too much restructuring making it difficult for staff to know where they stand, with a bit of a hire and fire culture.

Advice to Management

Either divest the group or sell off the failing parts of the business. Overall the staff are the most important asset, so please make them feel loved. But that has to be genuine and not forced. Have a really hard look at some of the leaders in the organisation, they may network well but they will tread all over their staff to get ahead.

gategroup2013-12-23