hhgregg Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
hhgregg CEO Robert J. Riesbeck
Robert J. Riesbeck

Pros
  • Benefits were okay and the employee discount is great (in 82 reviews)

• If you are a good salesman you can make a lot of money (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough with long hours (in 49 reviews)

• Some long hours during holiday season (in 103 reviews)

1. "SALES ASSOCIATE"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

Pros

This is a company that sees and build up your potentials..... Hhgregg is a company where all workers became family and works as team member.

Cons

As a sales associate you pay yourself... I mean the more you work the more you get.

Advice to Management

keep up with the good work

"Appliance sales"

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Matthews, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of any pros

Cons

Rated 8th worst retail company to work for. Sam Johnson was responsible for my 3 paycuts in a year and a half. My first paycut was a 2/3 paycut. Sam Johnson worked 20 years at sears and ran it in the ground.sears is also to 10 worst companies to work for.he lasted 7 years at hhgregg and we are in liquidation. Now sam just accepted same position at academy sports. To the 20,000 employees at academy sports get ready for pay cut after pay cut. Sam will put you out of business in 1 to 2 years. He is a shut down specialist. When you finally close he will ensure the top tier management gets rich. Then he will move on to his next company to put out of business.

Advice to Management

Should have never hired sam johnson.

3. "Salesperson"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The schedules are better than most in retail with a 40 hour work week and 2 days off back to back in most cases during the week. There are good benefits and a decent employee discount.

Cons

The company tries to find ways to prevent you from making any money by changing the pay plans and in many cases not being able to figure out how you are paid on particular items. They also over-staff the sales floor which creates a negative environment. Management does not care and there is a high turnover rate because the "average" income in sales they dangle in front of you during the interview process is not truly an average. It is the top 10 percent that make that amount or more. The average salesperson will make much less. Most of your time is spent re-tagging the sales floor because the tagging system is antiquated and prices change 2-3 times a week. It can take up 2-3 hours of your day when you are supposed to be selling and the tagging is more important to them than the sale. As long as you are aware of these things, it will help your stress level.

Advice to Management

Set better expectations during the interview process on realistic income and the side work that needs to be done.

"Good... for now"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My sales team is good and my pay is good. (With the pay, I had to negotiate very well). Good place to get experience.

Cons

No stock options, the most expensive benefits ive paid, and terrible hours, even for retail. The new schedule sucks, even though it includes a Sat/Sun off... you end up working 20 days in a row with only 2 days off and it SUCKS! The upper management in Charlotte needs to go to a HR retreat. The company's commission structure doesn't provide enough money to its associates, and the ones it appeals to are not quality employees. The company also wants itsome stores fully staffed, but most of the time the employees just clean or train or stand around. My associates are all busy, to the point that I need to fully help customers, about 4 hours total A WEEK! Please don't even start me on the delivery system in this company.... they think uneducated warehouse workers are better employees than their college graduate managers.... you don't even have the time! Worst of all, unless your a white male in the RMs inner circle, you won't be treated well. He picks his favorites during their interview, and you get praise and credit even if you do nothing.

Advice to Management

You will spend more time figuring out who typed these reviews, rather than working on your company, so why bother.

6. "Losing Traction"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Lead in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Lead in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is great for getting your feet wet in the sales industry.

Cons

Most of all the good reasons to work there, left along with all the big CEO's. Management is awful.

"Pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great group at store level to work with from store management to warehouse. Training used to be good, now you gotta do it yourself.

Cons

The pay. A year ago I made enough to pay the bills on time plus tuck a little away. Around September the checks got smaller. We were paid 1 per cent on volumn and 12 per cent on profit. I noticed that they were making the profit small by inflating their cost. Now our powers to be have started to pay us a percentage on volumn which range 1 per cent to 5 per cent, except the items I sold where I made $25 or $75 I now made $5 or $25 respectively. Mr. May was quoted as saying that they were controlling expenses by reducing payroll and benefits. This was to stock holders. A lot of associates have quit and everyone else is looking. They cut our pay and only want part timers (no health insurance). This will bit them in the butt because he will have people selling who know nothing about WHAT they are selling!

Advice to Management

Think more about the associates because moral is the lowest I have seen in my years at HHGregg. Also get rid of the SEARS rejects in upper management. Did not work at Sears and ain't gonna work here.

8. "Commission Based Sales"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a good salesman you can make a lot of money. Fast Paced work environment. Exciting products.

Cons

Family owned company so advancement is limited. Changing commission structure so different products pay more or less depending on the time of year.

Advice to Management

Overall good place to work. I would offer better bonuses for top performers, and be more open to transition valuable employees to roles in the corporate offices.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good close out deals on available merchandise. There is a lot of opportunity on scratch and dent merchandise due to delivery issues.

Cons

No loyalty whatsoever to management or associates. Very long open to close hours due to staffing problems. Sales staff is 100% commission. No additional staff to get projects completed. Additional work load put on management without any help.
    The worst company I've ever worked for.
    If you get injured on the job they will find a way to fire you!!!

Advice to Management

Change sales staff to hourly.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent product discount. Solid benefits for full-time sales staff. Formerly excellent commission sales structure. Now seemingly working the kinks out of a new commission structure. A company that really wants it.

Cons

New commission structure is not as good as old one, but they seem to be trying to fix it in order to please the professional sales staff. Not enough support staff, would rather not handle non-paying opps duties.

Advice to Management

Just let me sell. Don't get too cute with every little detail of a sale. Teach other salesman how to sell profitably and not just cut to close.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Gastonia, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide very good product knowledge and give you opportunities to make high sales volume as far as retail goes they are good company. I enjoyed working there I gained a lot of retail Knowledge.

Cons

The only Drawback that I wish to comment on is The draw system that they have If you have a couple of bad weeks of commission the draw payback can affect you substantially. Most of time if you are a good sales person you can out of draw fast .

Advice to Management

Try and Trust your veterans to teach others and try not to micro manage everyone.The company has a successful business plan that is hands down better than the competition.

Showing 25 of 1,179 reviews