hhgregg Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 18, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
hhgregg CEO Robert J. Riesbeck
Robert J. Riesbeck

Pros
  • Benefits were okay and the employee discount is great (in 82 reviews)

• If you are a good salesman you can make a lot of money (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough with long hours (in 48 reviews)

• I really have no cons other then the long hours in the retail world (in 101 reviews)

1. "Workers Compensation supervisor"

Current Employee - Workers in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Workers in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

lack of Management training

2. "Business changes"

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hhgregg was a good company for work life balance.

Cons

Company needed more than 2 people per job role. Not enough job backup.

Advice to Management

Good company while it lasted

3. "POS and Ecommerce Retail"

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Very flexible work schedule. Ability to learn new technology and software.

Cons

Past management disregarded recommendations of staff that had been doing this kind of work for years. Due to retail, holidays were limited.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They have been doing this job for a long time and know what they are talking about. Do more planning and less shooting from the hip when it comes to new projects.

5. "Commission sales associate"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Earning potential on full commission or hourly base plus commission choice when hired. Some associates make lots of money there.

Cons

Inventory levels can vary and commission can be affected by promotions. Associates are Paid on sale at time of product delivery.

6. "struggling"

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

my coworker have made my time with hhgregg very enjoyable. Generally the tone around the office is up beat and jovial.

Cons

the benefits and some policies are not employee friendly. things like a maximum of 3 weeks of vacation with no other official paid time off.

Advice to Management

At this point management is solely focused on survival. now in bankruptcy court, there is no communication with or apparent concern for associates who's livelihood is hanging in the balance.

7. "Hard Word"

Former Employee - Comission Sales in Mount Juliet, TN
    Former Employee - Comission Sales in Mount Juliet, TN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and management is laid back

Cons

Hard to make the money needed to pay bills

Advice to Management

Get a base salary or pay rate

8. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

u can make good commissions if u sell well

Cons

pressure because its ONLY commission based

Advice to Management

plz keep some basic pay as well

9. "Pretty decent"

Current Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Results matter lots of upward mobility, benefits are ok bonuses are attainable meet people build relationships everything is everything all the time

Cons

Not here to dissuade anyone from working here. Retail means you work hours opposite everyone else normally. Stores are closing in this area

"HHGregg"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Buckhead, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Buckhead, GA

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and good potential for money.

Cons

The company is coming to an end and stock is very low on EVERYTHING. Most of everything is out of stock.

11. "Overall not the worst, it was just an in between job for me, but it's possible for a career"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pure uncapped commission could be ok at times. Overall it is (usually) a positive work environment. People usually work together well, and it's not bad helping customers with their needs. There were people who had been there for a long time who made good money there, so that is possible with this company. For me, it was just a get by for now type job before I went down a city firefighting career path.

Cons

At my particular location, the work environment was plagued with bad apple employees who should not have been hired. People stealing sales behind the back of people who rightfully deserve credit was rampant at my location. I'd discover sales that should have been completely mine that were finished up by other employees while I was busy that were not even split credit. I'd report this to the general manager, who was always professional and would alter sales so the appropriate credit is given. Disciplinary action did not happen though on these situations, like it should have. The worst instance of this was an employee somehow getting the login info for a manager, then would secretly log into the system and switch old sales to his name, giving himself credit. Employees' checks were then deducted small amounts from him doing this, which went unnoticed for over a year. Then one day, it was discovered, resulting in this employee's immediate termination. Then, HH Gregg would not reimburse employees of stolen wages, like they should of. An then, there was the ongoing issue of people stealing food from the break room refrigerator, which was absolutely ridiculous. No workplace I've ever been in have I dealt with anything like that. If a pizza box was left in the refrigerator, there would be pieces missing. Cigarettes were also stolen, not that that affected me.

Besides from all that, the company often times discounts items to the point where there is no profit left, which sucks out about all the commission. Sales people might make $6.00 in selling a $600 laptop, which should not be the case. But oh... Push that extended warranty on that laptop, for $400, and there you go, there's your commission. They have all the employees pushing these protection plans like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread... Whatever... It does come in handy for customers SOMETIMES, but it's basically pure profit for the company.

Advice to Management

Show employees more appreciation. Compensate them like they should be for working your tough retail hours. Step up and enforce disciplinary action if there are people who need it. There were people at my location doing it, doing it again, and not being reprimanded. That causes actual good and decent employees to lose respect for the company as a whole and eventually not take the job seriously.

Showing 227 of 1,145 reviews