hmv Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 3, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ian Topping

Pros
  • Great people, very passionate and like minded, get great staff discount (in 15 reviews)

• Working with the staff is fantastic, all like-minded individuals who love music and movies (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay minimum wage for your age group (in 10 reviews)

• DMs and head office care only about the numbers, not the customers' wants/needs (in 9 reviews)

1. "Not so hot"

Pros

worked with some pretty great people

Cons

sexual harassment at work by customers, little/no security, pay was low, had me at part time pay while working full time hours

2. "One of the worst companies I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Absolutely none at all.

Cons

Paid for "pure" card which we have to push on customers which gives them very little in return. You could buy the rewards on eBay for much less. Signed posters fpr example... available off the shelf for about £25 from online retailers, customers would have to spend £10,000 in hmv to acrue enough points to purchase one. Pure points also only last for a year before expiring. "Pure" profiteering at £3 per card if you ask me.

Ancient inventory management system and laboriously old fashioned POS methods.

Dejected staff that can't wait to leave at the end of their shift.

Very low wages.

Incompetent management, flawed purchasing strategy, lack of movement with the times.

Interview was like an X factor audition and unnecessary 2nd interview for a part time sales advisor.

Advice to Management

It isn't 1999 any more. You haven't changed since then. It is absolutely no wonder you aren't doing well and you have massive staff turnover.

3. "Prostitutes to the company until they run out of budget."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

-Discount card allowed for discount in any hmv store.

Cons

-Fixed term contracts. WARNING, there are no permanent positions. As soon as three months goes by, you are at the mercy of the budgets.
    -Conned into doing 12 hour night shifts for two weeks straight.
    -Absolutely no morale in the shop at all. Managers wouldn't even let us talk to each other. At all.
    -Poor pay.
    -Always ended up doing overtime, and never getting paid for it.
    -No responsibility on behalf of the managers for how the shop actually runs.
    -No work/life balance. Christmas was a case of not leaving before 7am earliest for most of December. Then New Year comes and the workers who took the hard work are gotten rid of.
    -Colleagues getting belittled for stupid things such as talking.

Advice to Management

Become more worker oriented and do what is best for not only your store but also your workers. They consistently give 110% but never get any appreciation and many including myself get shown the door after working ridiculously hard! People skills are seriously lacking as well. Basic management skills.

"Appaling Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Pros

Nothing at all, expected to know everything about the store and the products right off the bat, training on the tills was minimal and after one demonstration I was expected to be a pro.

Cons

Management were constantly skipping on protocall and training was poor to none-existent, never followed through when asked to do something like providing a copy of the shift rota. Explained in the interview I was having trouble with the online application and was unable to change my availability times, giving them the available times and days I was able to work, this was ignored and they hired me on a full time basis, then reprimanded me for asking for fewer hours. I was fired without notice or review, management had noted issues with me but never actually sat down and talked to me about them. When contacting head office to complain about my treatment, the manager lied in order to cover his own skin. Thanfully the store is closed now, I hope the appaling exscuse of a manager is not in the same level of control. It was a complete disgrace.

"The Top dog for robots"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For retail the wages weren't bad to be honest. Good staff discount at 30% at the time and a chance to keep up to date your music & films

Cons

based on my time with hmv before they went into administration I did not find it a particularly happy place to work. under pressure more often than not. the managements style and brand culture was simply robotic and made it difficult to enjoy the job. progression was difficult to get noticed. I much preferred Virgin megastore/zavvi for atmosphere before hmv took over my store.

7. "Very poorly run company"

I worked at hmv full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent. Things like vision care and dental cleanings are given fair deductibles. Three weeks vacation to start which is just enough to get away and not hate life.

Cons

Management is terrible. Basically a family business. Everyone's kid works there in some capacity. You'll never move up as long as this is the status quo.

Advice to Management

Start over. It's really what the company needs. A complete overhaul. There is zero respect and care amongst the management and it trickles down to all the employees. Manifesting a terrible work environment.

8. "Diversity and equality low"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer's are very friendly. If you love music, movies and games it is a great place to work at as you meet people who enjoy the same things. Also the employees are very nice. There is never a dull day and no day is the same.

Cons

Long hours without any breaks. I worked for 6 hours straight without any breaks. If I decided to take a break my manager would get angry.

Management are very strict.
    Pay is very low
    Training was very poor too. If you are not familiar with how to use a till, just ask a lot of questions as the training seemed rushed.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be improved
    Treat all employees the same. Needs more diversity and equality.

9. "Great brand let down by the suits at the top who still consider themselves errr....top dog......"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)

Pros

On the ground staff are passionate about the products and freind
    Y bunch by and large

Cons

Idiotic instruction from the people in the know at "the top" and an "ops director" that is one of the rudest self preserving arrogant people known to man

Advice to Management

Leave it to the people who know more about products than you do and stop acting as if you are the best retailers known to the high street....

10. "Lack of higher support"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Grande Prairie, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Grande Prairie, AB (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting off there was a lot of immaturity from the staff, eventually I got use to it and we all became very close. An HMV staff becomes a family more than anything.

Cons

Lack of support from higher up, including regional manager, human resources, store manager and various store managers within alberta.

Also, cut off pay in 14 an hour if you're sales staff no matter the amount of time you are employed.

"Misleading, horrible company"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people who you work with and regular customers who you get to know after a little while. Other than that nothing

Cons

Rubbish pay, company doesnt care, 0 hour contracts, no guarentee of hours, no breaks perks arent worth the while or effort

Advice to Management

Go back to how the store used to be, the new company is horrible to work for and treat customers and staff horrendously