hmv Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 6, 2017

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ian Topping

Pros
  • Working with the staff is fantastic, all like-minded individuals who love music and movies (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, very passionate and like minded, get great staff discount (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • DMs and head office care only about the numbers, not the customers' wants/needs (in 9 reviews)

• Pay minimum wage for your age group (in 9 reviews)

1. "Verizon is a dynamic company with a vision of the future. Technology is always chaging, providing opportunities for lear"

Former Employee - Backup Administrator in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Backup Administrator in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Verizon excels at providing opportunities to learn and grow. They provide an excellent compensation program with great benefits.

Cons

At the time of my RIF (Reduction in Force), there were no positions available here in Tampa. As I had no desire to relocate, I had to accept the layoff.

Advice to Management

I desire a position that test my skills, makes my think outside the box and provides a path for promotion. I desire that the company that employs me is as flexible to my needs as they expect me to be to their needs. I want to be part of a team that want to do more than what is required.

2. "Commercial and Retail Finance Intern"

Former Intern - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly team and company
    Great office
    Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

Cons

Times I werent doing much

3. "Great company"

I have been working at hmv full-time

Pros

Staff, discount, range, prices great customer service

Cons

Not enough staff, wages, no external training

5. "Passionate about the product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with like-minded people, who care passionately about the product they sell
    Even when times are tough, everyone pulls together
    hmv colleagues are friends for life

Cons

Tough working for a company that is in a declining market that receives such negative press

6. "top dog!"

I have been working at hmv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with products you're genuinely (and sometimes fanatically) interested in.
    Working alongside people from all walks of life but who share the same interests.
    Lots of opportunities in store to talk to customers and use your knowledge to make recommendations.
    Lots of head office staff have been sales assistants, supervisors, managers in the stores, so you'll find lots of people who are really passionate about the company in all corners of the business.
    Staff discount!

Cons

The outlook for the company seems to be positive but it's hard to shake off the 'ailing retailer' label!

7. "14/15 Christmas Temp"

Former Employee - Christmas Colleague in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Christmas Colleague in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super-friendly staff, management were always lovely, even when asking you to do "boring" jobs. They give till training and are always willing to help if you need it! Discount was great, comfortable with switching shifts. Working there was very pleasant and g a 6 hour shift during christmas period wasn't as bad as it sounds!

Cons

Salary wasn't as good as it could've been, christmas period was busy and some customers can be very rude at a shop like this.

8. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Limerick, Co. Limerick (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Limerick, Co. Limerick (Ireland)

I have been working at hmv (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people

Cons

No connection with head office

9. "Great HMV discount"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent discount for employees and flexibility in hours of work possible.

Cons

Up-selling of pure HMV membership strongly pushed and % of sales analysed daily.

10. "The Best Years Of My Life - Perhaps!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With over 20 years experience of working for HMV across a variety of roles from managing stores, large & small, to head office positions, I had a fantastic time & made many true life-long friends along the way.

Being a huge fan of both music & film made the experiences encountered along my wide & varied career some of the most rewarding & fulfilling of my life. The phrase "work hard play hard" could have been invented for HMV - the challenges along the way were sometimes difficult but there was a culture of working together to get things done regardless of what was thrown at us & a collective will & pride in being the best and, once the day's work was done, god did we know how to party hard!!

I can truly say that I enjoyed every day & looked forward to going to work - who wouldn't given the wealth of great new & exciting music & film to discover for the first time on a daily basis & to work with a fantastic team of colleagues & friends.

Cons

The hours were long, the job was demanding & at times frustrating, but this only made you more determined to over achieve & be the best.

Advice to Management

Following the unfortunate demise of the previous business in early 2013, it's fantastic to see the business growing from strength to strength under the new owners Hilco who have transformed it in a short space of time.

The business now needs to continue to adapt to the ever-changing retail & entertainment landscape & embrace new formats, working even closer with content & new technology partners, at the same time as profitably managing the decline of the existing heritage formats to truly become a one-stop entertainment destination and multi-channel retailer.

11. "Fun, with great people!"

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Maidstone, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Maidstone, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a nice discount on items
    Fun team of people to work with
    Encouraged individualism and alternative styles

Cons

Huge pressure to sell HMV loyalty cards, with targets to meet. Although they can be quite leaning with thus