hmv Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Ian Topping

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • minimum wage job in a dying industry (in 12 reviews)

• DMs and head office care only about the numbers, not the customers' wants/needs (in 9 reviews)

1. "Sales Assistant (Seasonal)"

I worked at hmv part-time

Pros

Nice working environment and good mix of colleagues. Everyone seemed friendly and helpful.

Cons

Rubbish retail hours - 25 hours spread across 5 days (5 hours per day with a 30 minute break)

Basic hourly rate (just over minimum wage)

Annoying targets when operating the tills - pressure to talk customers into signing up to the HMV points card.

Advice to Management

Really good experience of management but would have enjoyed the job a lot more if the hours were better.

2. "Store manager"

I have been working at hmv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working within music industry

Cons

Work life balance very poor

3. "what you expect, nice people, unprofessional management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working here is pretty much as you expect in a retail job though if you're into film and music it'll probably make things much more interesting for you. you don't really get to talk as much about the products with the customers as often as the company will make out, but again I'd rather be working with dvds and cds than food or home furnishing. Best thing about working here is the people, by far. Everyone is warm and welcoming, besides a very small number of cliquey staff members ( one supervisor stirred up politics every one and again, one or two not as welcoming as everyone else) I can understand why some people end up staying so long. shifts are usually kept to 8 hours, so work life balance is good.

Cons

main gripe was management. despite being pretty friendly with the whole team, couldn't help but notice it wasn't run all that well. good example was the staff rota. for some reason the main manager just couldn't seem to keep on top of it properly with staff members often not turning up for shifts thinking they had the day off when they didn't. I'd need a day off well in advance and the new rota would go up with me down to work that day.

not much chance of progression, unless being a supervisor sounds good to you. that seemed to involve a much bigger workload for barely any more pay. though people go for supervisor roles in retail places like this just for the feel of a bit more power, I guess.

I mainly got the feeling this is the job for young kids who aren't ready to go into the real workforce quite yet. as soon as you learn the ropes it can often be a bit of a doss which would explain the low pay.

Advice to Management

maybe train management better. although they were friendly, got the feeling staff welfare wasn't too important. main manager was pretty friendly but personally I found him a little much, a little over confident and a bit too convinced of his own popularity with the staff who were mostly 25 and under and probably just eager to please the authority figure. I found him a little too over familiar at times and condescending with a cringey and loud 'geezer' attitude. Would often talk over you or not listen to you properly because he was busy being funny.

Found him quite demanding at times as far as workloads went - saw him scowling at me/ pulling a face as I was leaving for my lunch hour, obviously unhappy that I stopped working - I need to eat at some point! got the feeling he would often forget that the job was just a stop gap to most of us and we were paid by the hour and not a salary like he was, so of course we didn't want to put tons of more hours in!

Just didn't like his managerial methods, felt seriously unprofessional at times. He seemed like the stock room boy that never left the shop and had just enough drive to get to the manager's office. not the worst manager by any means, I just didn't get him at all. also, he could be quite rude and impatient as far as needing help or making mistakes. Being that the staff were all young and daunted by authority I got the feeling he didn't get challenged at all on his behaviour and had been there too long surrounded by kids, so his manners and professionalism had clearly begun to slip.

word of advice to anyone starting here - don't accept a friend request on facebook from the manager! he'll send you messages long after your shift is over asking you to work extra/come in early!

4. "Enjoy going to work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time

Pros

Staff, discount, promos, location, hours.

Cons

very busy at Christmas, and you get tired of the same tunes.

Advice to Management

allow a little freestyling

5. "HMV was great and now it's closed"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at hmv part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to talk about music all day
    Super nice people

Cons

The radio loop that they play gets very old, but sometimes you can put on your own music which is cool

6. "Temporary Sales Assistant"

Pros

Good atmosphere and generous company nights out.

Cons

Lesser consideration towards temporary employees

7. "Christmas Temp at HMV Guildford"

I worked at hmv part-time

Pros

Get to talk about music and films you love all day and recommend your personal favourites to people who ask

Cons

during the christmas period was super busy and so lunch breaks were very short but to be expected and really was not the end of the world

Advice to Management

Even though a christmas temp, still felt very much part of the team of people who had been working there already in the past.

8. "Strong team of individuals, zero chance of promotion."

I worked at hmv part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good workforce and team, working with people who are genuinely interested in audio, film and technology.

Cons

Limited chance of promotion, difficult to negotiate time off even if discussed/booked well in advance, strange part time hours that must be stuck to which could mean standing at the till for hours when there's hardly any customers to the point that the shop might as well be shut.

Advice to Management

Don't talk down about your employees to other members of staff.

9. "2 years at hmv"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff discount was high
    Great team
    Fun and easy going place to work

Cons

Not very many staff perks besides discount

Advice to Management

Have a forum for staff to share ideas and opinions

10. "Great place to work, great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teamwork, support from head office, Fun yet professional work environment

Cons

None that I can think of remember it's retail but it's pop culture and entertainment

Advice to Management

Continue your passion and expansion of product mix.