hmv Reviews | Glassdoor

hmv Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Ian Topping

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Multicultural and diverse environment to work in (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, very passionate and like minded, get great staff discount (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay minimum wage for your age group (in 10 reviews)

• DMs and head office care only about the numbers, not the customers' wants/needs (in 9 reviews)

1. "Need to go Back to the Future!"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues were great. I had a good time working with them and store management was good as well.
    30% discount was great as well. Put to good use.
    Uniform was relaxed as well. You get given the pink t-shirts (and occasionally cool release related ones such as Star Wars, Marvel, Disney etc.), and you just wear Black jeans and sensible footwear, meaning it's better in warmer seasons.

Cons

Low pay. It was fine whilst I was at college as it was really just something to pass the time. But once I went to University, factoring in travel, it simply wasn't worth it.
    The customers could also typically be quite rude sometimes.

The biggest con (and the reference to my title) is just how in the past the company is. I love physical media and will always choose to buy a Blu-ray rather than a digital copy. But services such as Netflix are the future, and it's strange the company doesn't do more to embrace it, and partner with it. Sell tablets with a 6month subscription of Netflix for example.

PureHMV cards simply are not worth the £3 either, making them difficult to sell. People are very interested, but £3 is a massive turn off. Charging 1,000 points (have to spend £10 to earn in the first place) to enter a competition is ridiculous. The only worthwhile thing to spend your points on is the in-store discount, but it takes ages to save up (£300 to earn £5). There's also no benefit from a colleague perspective to selling these, such as pay benefit, yet my job felt like it was on the line if I didn't sell them.

Felt like there was no advancement for my career either.

Advice to Management

Embrace the future, and make PureHMV actually worth signing up for.

2. "Manager employee relations"

Former Employee - Manager, Employee Relations in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager, Employee Relations in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Branded company for many years supporting multiple stores across Canada.

Cons

Due to changes in industry company went bankrupt by 2017

Advice to Management

Recognize loyalty in employees.

3. "They overwork their young staff."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good customer service experience and opportunity to learn. Worked here just for winter holidays.

Cons

They pay min. wage. Very busy.

4. "Flexible hours, treated staff poorly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv part-time

Pros

Typical minimum wage job that supported me during studies. Hours were flexible, over all work environment with my colleagues and junior managers was positive. Got the occasional freebies when we were promoting a move/band/etc.

Cons

Senior management too focused on KPIs, and targets overall. Did not care enough for the staff, and this could make the work environment particularly negative at times. At Christmas staff were often over worked even with the temps we had hired to cope with the extra workload.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff at bit more and the KPIs would improve as an off set effect.

5. "Not for adventure seekers"

I have been working at hmv full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Staff discount
    Product knowledge
    Over-time opportunities
    Promising agency workers get kept and taken on as full time within a reasonably short period of time.
    Multicultural and diverse environment to work in.
    Fund raisers and staff nights out organised pretty regularly.

Cons

A day of routine with little to no differentiation if you're working in distribution.
    Not a vast number of opportunities to grow within the company.
    Holidays/time off during the Christmas period is strictly prohibited.

Advice to Management

Communicate with and respect your team better. Miscommunication leads to uncertainty and errors. Do not favouritise staff - this not only aggravates other colleagues but also demotivates them.

6. "Big positives, big negatives"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely environment with nice staff, good products being sold. easy enough job which pretty much involves locating something for a customer or tidying up, no proper uniform and flexible hours

Cons

Pay is horrendous, massive pressure to sell pure cards every shift, underlooked if you're not seen as the perfect seller, no break at all if you work under 6 hours, very monotonous after a while, ridiculous amount of 'performance' programmes online to complete

Advice to Management

The whole PureHMV scheme has to be changed or loosened with its rigidity, consider the pressures of having to sell and improve general attitude towards sales assistants

7. "Easy enough work"

I worked at hmv part-time

Pros

Very busy during Christmas, good work if you enjoy that sort of thing

Cons

Management didn't seem to care about you if you were not there for very long

Advice to Management

Relax a bit

8. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

great staff and incentives when you sell a lot of pure cards

Cons

can be long days, sometimes boring

"Worked as a keyholder"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a positive experience overall while working at HMV. Started as a Christmas temp and was offered a job in a short period of time. Stayed on for a few years and eventually became keyholder. It's all about the people you work with.

Cons

No benefits while I was working there. Had to work weekends. Difficult to book time off and management seemed to take advantage of the system.

Advice to Management

Probably best to visit individual stores across the country to get a better understanding of how things operate day to day, rather than trusting the opinions of the store manager.

"Interesting, challenging at times but little room for development"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant and Technology Specialist in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at hmv (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with and serve people with very similar interests to you which provides a great backdrop for any of the tasks you have to do.

Cons

Daily tasks become mundane, but given the nature of the industry they must be done. Again, as with all retail, there is little thanks from supervisors/management unless you get lucky and have a supervisor that truly cares about both you and their store, but this can be rare.

Advice to Management

I was told after being very good for a number of years not to let my flare and passion die down. My flare and passion for the products and colleagues never died, but the lack of recognition and appreciation for my regular episodes of hard work went undervalued or unnoticed. A lot of staff experience this and realise that they needn't put in as much effort - it's demoralising and makes people question why they should give the high service that is being demanded of them.