hmv Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • minimum wage job in a dying industry (in 12 reviews)

• DMs and head office care only about the numbers, not the customers' wants/needs (in 9 reviews)

1. "Diversity and equality low"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer's are very friendly. If you love music, movies and games it is a great place to work at as you meet people who enjoy the same things. Also the employees are very nice. There is never a dull day and no day is the same.

Cons

Long hours without any breaks. I worked for 6 hours straight without any breaks. If I decided to take a break my manager would get angry.

Management are very strict.
    Pay is very low
    Training was very poor too. If you are not familiar with how to use a till, just ask a lot of questions as the training seemed rushed.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be improved
    Treat all employees the same. Needs more diversity and equality.

2. "Very poorly run company"

I worked at hmv full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent. Things like vision care and dental cleanings are given fair deductibles. Three weeks vacation to start which is just enough to get away and not hate life.

Cons

Management is terrible. Basically a family business. Everyone's kid works there in some capacity. You'll never move up as long as this is the status quo.

Advice to Management

Start over. It's really what the company needs. A complete overhaul. There is zero respect and care amongst the management and it trickles down to all the employees. Manifesting a terrible work environment.

"The Top dog for robots"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For retail the wages weren't bad to be honest. Good staff discount at 30% at the time and a chance to keep up to date your music & films

Cons

based on my time with hmv before they went into administration I did not find it a particularly happy place to work. under pressure more often than not. the managements style and brand culture was simply robotic and made it difficult to enjoy the job. progression was difficult to get noticed. I much preferred Virgin megastore/zavvi for atmosphere before hmv took over my store.

"Appaling Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Pros

Nothing at all, expected to know everything about the store and the products right off the bat, training on the tills was minimal and after one demonstration I was expected to be a pro.

Cons

Management were constantly skipping on protocall and training was poor to none-existent, never followed through when asked to do something like providing a copy of the shift rota. Explained in the interview I was having trouble with the online application and was unable to change my availability times, giving them the available times and days I was able to work, this was ignored and they hired me on a full time basis, then reprimanded me for asking for fewer hours. I was fired without notice or review, management had noted issues with me but never actually sat down and talked to me about them. When contacting head office to complain about my treatment, the manager lied in order to cover his own skin. Thanfully the store is closed now, I hope the appaling exscuse of a manager is not in the same level of control. It was a complete disgrace.

5. "Prostitutes to the company until they run out of budget."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

-Discount card allowed for discount in any hmv store.

Cons

-Fixed term contracts. WARNING, there are no permanent positions. As soon as three months goes by, you are at the mercy of the budgets.
    -Conned into doing 12 hour night shifts for two weeks straight.
    -Absolutely no morale in the shop at all. Managers wouldn't even let us talk to each other. At all.
    -Poor pay.
    -Always ended up doing overtime, and never getting paid for it.
    -No responsibility on behalf of the managers for how the shop actually runs.
    -No work/life balance. Christmas was a case of not leaving before 7am earliest for most of December. Then New Year comes and the workers who took the hard work are gotten rid of.
    -Colleagues getting belittled for stupid things such as talking.

Advice to Management

Become more worker oriented and do what is best for not only your store but also your workers. They consistently give 110% but never get any appreciation and many including myself get shown the door after working ridiculously hard! People skills are seriously lacking as well. Basic management skills.

6. "One of the worst companies I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Absolutely none at all.

Cons

Paid for "pure" card which we have to push on customers which gives them very little in return. You could buy the rewards on eBay for much less. Signed posters fpr example... available off the shelf for about £25 from online retailers, customers would have to spend £10,000 in hmv to acrue enough points to purchase one. Pure points also only last for a year before expiring. "Pure" profiteering at £3 per card if you ask me.

Ancient inventory management system and laboriously old fashioned POS methods.

Dejected staff that can't wait to leave at the end of their shift.

Very low wages.

Incompetent management, flawed purchasing strategy, lack of movement with the times.

Interview was like an X factor audition and unnecessary 2nd interview for a part time sales advisor.

Advice to Management

It isn't 1999 any more. You haven't changed since then. It is absolutely no wonder you aren't doing well and you have massive staff turnover.

7. "Not so hot"

Pros

worked with some pretty great people

Cons

sexual harassment at work by customers, little/no security, pay was low, had me at part time pay while working full time hours

8. "Let employees down"

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good customers, enjoyable product, good location

Cons

No bonuses, bit of a boys club, demise was dragged out

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "TOXIC."

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant

I worked at hmv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Weekends off
    - A couple of decent colleagues
    - Hour long lunch breaks

That’s it, I can’t even fill up the 20 word minimum with good points about this company.

Cons

- Hourly rate is embarrassingly poor
    - Forced to handle tasks above your pay grade and job description without consultation
    - Below par management
    - No job security
    - No sick pay
    - Favouritism of certain staff members, having the rules bent for some, but fixed for others
    - Next to no staff benefits
    - Staff discount is subject to only a handful of items
    - Work environment is like a playground

A few things I’d like to add about my personal experience in this store;

I was absent for a week due to caring needs for my partner (for which I am a legally documented carer) and when it was documented to HR it was written that I was “too tired” to come in, implying that I was simply too lazy to attend a shift, which was extremely insulting.

Another incident which occurred was in general conversation with my manager in which she expressed her view on people with mental health issues not being “as disabled as people with physical disabilities” therefore warranting them in less need of disabled parking access which was in extremely poor taste.

A couple more examples of how downright wrong some of the colleagues morals are;

A former employee of the company had taken their life last Christmas and a few colleagues of mine boasted of how they “deserved it” because they weren’t a nice person when they were living and how they weren’t missed because they were such a miserable person when they were with the company, they also joked about how this colleague now “haunts the basement” of the store. I quizzed the colleagues in question, even the assistant manager who joked about it also and they shrugged it off like there was no problem with their behaviour.

They also openly made jokes about the store cleaner’s mental competency and physical appearance. And made an effort to ignore her when she tried to make harmless conversation with them.

I personally felt victimised numerous times by the bully boy tactics of this so called “manager”, who made me doubt my integrity constantly and had me dreading coming into work everyday. No one should feel like that.

Overall, an awful experience. Don’t waste your time with this company, it’s a dying franchise in this modern world and the manager alone is enough to put you off working in the retail sector full stop. A shambles of a work environment with a POS system that was established in 1997 which the company are too tight to upgrade due to “budget restrictions”.

All that for £7.05 an hour? No thanks.

Advice to Management

I think there should be an external investigation into the management and staff’s ethics and have a serious overhaul of the tired old system.

10. "not good!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

There' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Cons

they don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

Advice to Management

you guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around