i2R Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Dim-Lee Kwong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, good freedom to pursue own research as long as the required work is completed, people are quite good (in 14 reviews)

• Good working environment with training and development (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A little bit low salary (for interns) (in 5 reviews)

• HR does not interfere with talent management and all HR decision heavily depend on CEO (the executive director) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great learning environment with nurturing mentors and flexibility in the projects you get to work on"

Pros

Great place to learn and start off a research career at especially with infocomm technologies, speech recognition, human language technology, etc.

Cons

Takes a while to publish research because of internal review process, and limited funding for external attached researchers

2. "Need to Exodus More"

Current Employee - Deputy Head in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Deputy Head in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at i2R full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many hiding behind keyboard crying babies. Thus no need to waste much time with them.

Cons

Need to rehaul many more with top notch industry team replacement

Advice to Management

HR to replace another 230 with new blood asap!

"Animal farm- not a novel but a real live show"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at i2R full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of great opportunities to experience and witness how staff being humiliated and insulted by the elite management. Special genius mad dog barking in every meeting, MBK using King's name for slavery trade, King continues to use tax proceeds for world tour.

Cons

Almost nil as this is possibly the most pleasant place to work in with the least staff turnover (> 230 staff) for a year.

Advice to Management

We really enjoyed being intimidated, humiliated and inhumane treatment given by the king and his dogs. We have since forgotten that we were once humans.

"In I2R, it is always Xmas as there are no lack of micro-managing red tapes like over-accessorized Xmas Presents"

Former Employee - Scientist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Scientist in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at i2R full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In general, i enjoyed working with the people in I2R and by means of people, i mean running on the ground like fellow scientists, engineers and overworked administrators and ID folks. I like how most of us bond like family and how most of us are closely knitted to resolve pretty tough deadlines and unreasonable management demands

Cons

If there was an honest HR handbook for I2R employees it will be detailing at least the following "Things to take note of"
    (i) New employees are to be prepared to be treated like dimwit even if you have a PhD or has been in the R&D scene for years.
    (ii) As a member I2R, you must be strategic and mainly by placing the word "strategic" will instantly make yourself more strategic even if it sounds totally ridiculous
    (iii) You will not be treated with respect, i.e. you are not considered as a person if (i) you are not the executive director's pet and (ii) not in some elitist capability building teams
    (iv) It will be a norm to receive friendly reminders of your meager existence when you are due for contract renewals. You will have to justify your renewal over and over again if you are deemed not strategic, i.e. doing what the management tells you to do, or risk having your contractual period lapsed with no news of termination or extension. Of course, you could spend some time contemplating why you are staying in a "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" environment and join the industry who will pay you 25-30% better and treat you like a person
    (v) You will be well-trained in administrative tasks by indulging in hours of overtime required to finish tonnes of reports, biweekly, weekly, monthly reports of various kinds. It is PAPERWORK HEAVEN BABY!!
    (vi) You will develop skills to face the harsh world of the industry as you are expected to be shouted at, belittled, back stabbed by the pets of the executive director when you start to challenge their scientific capabilities. Also you will be taught of reasoning logic as you will be trained in justifying why your research work is better than IBM Watson.

Advice to Management

Knowledge workers are not blue-collared workers and even so, anyone should be treated with sufficient level of respect and trust, unless otherwise proven
    Everyone co-exist in the same ecosystem call I2R and anything affecting one person or group of individuals will inevitable affect others. We live in a family not isolated cells in a prison, we feel for our people and we will definitely be affected by their predicaments. The "WE" could not be belittled.
    There is more than the "ME" in the institute, the higher beings have totally lost sight of the "US" in I2R. I hope they will soon realize that the mass exodus of people who have left, the people who were ok being the "monkeys" being paid "peanuts", were ousted out by the burgeoning number of "presents" in this Christmas wonderland from hell.

"too much red tape"

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at i2R full-time

Pros

interesting colleagues, interesting research topics

Cons

obsession with commercialization without good understanding of technologies, multiple heads to report to

Advice to Management

trust your scientists, they are not evil, or stupid

6. "Work Life Balance"

I worked at i2R full-time

Pros

Good working environment with training and development

Cons

Salary average, some Dr are self centered

"Sinking ship, escape now at any cost."

Former Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at i2R full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were work life balance, flexible targets to pursue from time to time, until changes come after changes. There are still pretty good welfares such as medical insurance and flexible leave schemes, those are unlikely to be gone in short future.

Cons

People who can do things are either casted away or frozen into icebox. You can hardly do any useful project here. Management got no capability to deliver anything useful, apart from talking like emperor and doing micro management. These are just jokers here and plead be advised, for anyone looking for real science or engineering job and below 55 yrs old, AVOID HERE AT ALL COST.

Advice to Management

None, as none will be taken.

"Talent management"

Current Employee - Scientist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Scientist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at i2R full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to starts off if you graduate from ivy league universities before departing to top universities (NTU/NUS) for better career development. (usually for returning scholars serving bond)

Good medical benefits.

Cons

Promotion heavily depend on your cluster head recommendationn. If you don't hold an official appointment (HoD/ deputy HoD) you are less likely to advance in grade and salary.

Internal fund for research is almost zero dollars and very challenging to obtain.

HR does not interfere with talent management and all HR decision heavily depend on CEO (the executive director).

Advice to Management

From 650++ staff to 450+ staff in 3 years and still decreasing, say a lot of about talent management and how the management treats the staff. Working staff deserves the same respect as the high management of the parentt company A*STAR.

"Bureaucracy supplants science"

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at i2R full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy working hours, good for report writers and yes men

Cons

I2R has been haemorrhaging talent in the last year. Take the MRT to one-north, and you will meet heaps of people you know, but they're no longer getting off at the same stop as you.

Problem seems to be that management thinks that rules and regulations can force innovation, when it's exactly the opposite. My manager is a master at micromanagement, requiring seven lengthy reports from each staff each month (if it's not up to task, rewrite like a schoolchild). It's clear she's never read a management book in her life and is over-compensating for her lack of achievement while under pressure from the top. Got a problem or want to talk to her - it's mandatory to make an appointment three days in advance...totally unapproachable. Morale is at rock bottom and the outlook for good results is dire.

Advice to Management

Treat scientists like experts, not like something that stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

"A good company to start after phd and continue research"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at i2R full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to start after PhD

Cons

Low salary, focus on industry

Advice to Management

having time to take care family