iContact Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
iContact CEO Geoffrey Alexander
Geoffrey Alexander
Cons
  1. "Amazing work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Product Expert

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance Overtime opportunities Excellent team and leadership Company outings and events Relaxes and friendly work environment Competent co-workers

Cons

Relatively lower pay compared to other similar jobs, off-set by good benefits. Company has been acquired a few times throughout the years, leading to mass layoffs, though I have not been affected personally by these.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

iContact2019-06-05

"Used to be awesome."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- CEO is great and very approachable. - Free coffee and soda. - Great people.

Cons

- Pay is not very competitive for most departments. - Software fell behind the times and now can't catch up with competitors. - One department in particular does not appear to put much emphasis on diversity . It was frequently discussed amongst employees and the sentiment is that it won't change unless the VP moves on. There was a spree of diversified hirings but amongst employees, this was not believed to have... been without intervention.

Advice to Management

- At this point, it is obvious the company is in a steep decline so I'm not sure there is much that can be done. However, if the company can stay afloat, I would suggest strongly looking at VP of Client Services and ask yourself why literally dozens of SAs have left the company in the past couple of years. It's not solely for a higher salary.

iContact2019-08-10

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Strategic Advisor

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are not any pros to working at iContact, except the flexibility to do whatever you want. You can come and go as you please because management does not care about you, your growth, or goals. But, you can work 9:30-4:30 with a 1.5 hour lunch each day no problem.

Cons

Too many to think of. Company is run horribly because they do not understand their place in the market, they do not have long term goals, and they do not learn from mistakes. They are doing things the same way they have been doing them for 10 years, and hire management that will continue this theme and do not allow employees to try to improve the company or implement their own ideas. I agree with previous posts... about lack of career advancement, and poor people in management positions. The management team cares too much about who is writing Glassdoor reviews than to actually fix the problems that are going on within the company.

Advice to Management

Hire external management that are not just who internally sucks up the most. Bring in new ideas and look at what isn't working- including leadership. There is a reason for the insane amount of turnover in sales/ services over the last two years. Most of that is management and the teams realizing this company is going nowhere fast. Provide professional development to everyone! This does not exist now and it is very... clear in moral and how leaders act (especially within services). Just Google best business practices and maybe implement one or two.

iContact2019-08-21
  4. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company culture Allows you to grow by moving up

Cons

Constantly changing job roles can be confusing

iContact2019-06-20

"Turnover rate is huge"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility. Work life balance. Convenient office location.

Cons

This company has a very high turnover rate. Management seems unable to provide direction and unwilling to consider employee concerns. Targets are constantly changing and often unclear.

Advice to Management

Hire new management to bring fresh blood into your thinking. Pay attention to why the company is a revolving door of employees. You will keep having a hard time keeping people in jobs if you don't change management attitudes.

iContact2019-06-27

"Great People, Changes with New Acqusition"

Former Employee - Professional in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic people from President Geoff Alexander, to management to co-workers who care about each other and the product. Customers and prospects appreciate the service and support and are pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Uncertainty and lack of communication following the acquisition by J2Global Media. Lots of change is driving cultural unrest, uncertainty and some trust issues.

Advice to Management

Earn trust by being fully transparent with current staff. Don't make statements that are not backed up by actions. Show that your staff is important to the bottom line before more people find new opportunities.

iContact2019-05-28

"Great place to enter the industry - just don't get stuck"

Former Employee - Strategy Team

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

iContact is a fantastic place to learn. You coworkers challenge you, your environment encourages being a thought leader.

Cons

You will be stressed and overworked, you will be compensated but definitely not rewarded. You will likely not have opportunities for real advancement.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your exceptional team members. If there isn't a place for them to grow then help them move on in a positive way instead of burning bridges. Don't hold people down just to keep great team members long term.

iContact2019-05-08

"Highs and Lows."

Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Has the potential to be great, management just doesn't seem to know how to leverage employees properly. Work life balance is good, unless you are one of the few that management consistently leans on. Company seems to be in a bit of an identity crisis, are we a services company or a application for small businesses?

Cons

Turnover is huge. Recent purchase is still debatable - Seems to be a good thing, unless iContact gets wrapped up into Campaigner. If J2 is willing to let us build the product that matches our small business model (again, this is debatable), we will succeed. VPs don't seem to be on the same page and GM doesn't stand his own ground. Internal promotions are a joke. Management circles through their favorites, even... if those favorites do not have the proper experience. There is a certain mold that you need to fit in order to be successful and it often doesn't rely on your work ethic. Reviews are pointless. Don't bother trying to stand up for yourself, you'll immediately be shunned. It'd be nice to see the GM actually acknowledge his workhorses. You can go months without having someone thank you for your efforts or tell you that you are doing a good job. The company isn't that big, it's not that hard to be thankful for the people that are in the trenches, especially when it comes to customer support/service.

Advice to Management

Pick one path and define your space in the market. Listen to your employees and value them, otherwise, you'll keep losing people that are your workhorses, actually invest in the company and care about the direction. If not, you'll be left with a team of robots that have no stake in the company and only care to gain a paycheck and leave right as their 8 hours are up. J2, take a look at the top, it's not hard to... discover the root of the problems and why we've had so much turnover. Create positions that actually resonate to what our client base needs, not some model that you've seen work with companies that are not in our market. Management, take ownership of when something fails, your employees didn't fail without you guiding them. Don't speak down to your employees, they are the reason you are where you are. Stop creating an environment that thrives on competition and pinning one person against another. Be transparent. Set goals months ahead of time, rather than just on the state of the current numbers. Stop playing catch up and actually set plans.

iContact2019-03-06
  9. "Analyst 1"

I have been working at iContact full-time

Pros

Good environment cool people and a decent Onboarding plan.

Cons

A little hectic needs a bit more organization.

iContact2018-11-21
  10. "Great Place To Work - Some Changes Would Help"

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my time working for iContact. The laid back company culture and opportunities for personal development positively impacted my experience there. The people who work at iContact made coming into work every day enjoyable. Geoff has done a great job at pushing the company in the right direction while also making iContact feel like an inclusive environment. I would consider working here again if the... right opportunity arose.

Cons

iContact needs to focus more on hiring and promoting from within. I saw many highly qualified employees leave after being passed over for promotion in favor of an outside hire.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to promote from within.

iContact2018-08-29