iContact Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2019

3.5
iContact President Geoffrey Alexander
Geoffrey Alexander
Pros
  • "Good work/life balance in general(in 10 reviews)

• "From upper management, to sales, to account managers, to the support and beyond, iContact is full of great people(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Amazing work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Product Expert

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance Overtime opportunities Excellent team and leadership Company outings and events Relaxes and friendly work environment Competent co-workers

Cons

Relatively lower pay compared to other similar jobs, off-set by good benefits. Company has been acquired a few times throughout the years, leading to mass layoffs, though I have not been affected personally by these.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

iContact2019-06-05

"One foot out the door"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bagels on Mondays. Free parking.

Cons

I'm not exactly sure what happened to this company. Did management give up? Did they care to start? The world may never know. What I do know is if you haven't already put in your notice, you're working on your exit plan. It's really a depressing place to work right now as entire cubicle rows start emptying out and they don't replace the people. Then everybody left gets a crushing workload. I don't know if it's worth... sticking around to see what happens in 2020.

Advice to Management

Show us you care about us and we're not just cogs to you. Start with bringing wages and benefits up to industry standard. Let us know what is happening in the company rather than blowing smoke. We work here too so it's pretty obvious when you're trying to cover up bad performance numbers. As they say in my hometown you can slap lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

iContact2019-12-06

"I would avoid"

Former Employee - Strategic Advisor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros- free sodas machine and free coffee. CEO Geoff is a really good person.

Cons

Cons- This used to be such a cool place to work. However three acquisitions and poor management have caused waves of staff exodus. The Client Services Department particularly has been decimated. At most companies, having dozens of Team Members quit from one small Department in the past two years, would lead to someone higher up questioning Management and Director policies and an investigation into how they treat... and handle their staff. However at iContact losing droves of people in a short time frame is met with little more than a shrug. It makes you wonder who cares less, the people in management at iContact or the people in the carousel of companies that acquire iContact. There are people in Manager, Director, and even VP roles that have never managed anyone or anything outside of iContact previously- and you can really tell. There is no such thing as professional growth, no such thing as coaching and building up a team. Most places you work, a manager will hopefully bring everyone together to meet the common company goals. They will review your performance and look at where you can improve and recognize areas you are doing well. At iContact the management is much more concerned about who is writing all these negative Glass Door reviews and constantly talking about rumors that they allegedly heard from staff. They seem to be blissfully unaware that when you have people quit your team bunches, that speaks volumes on you as a manager. Unless there are widespread and sweeping changes at the highest levels- I would avoid.

Advice to Management

Decide a clear direction for the company, announce it, and follow through.

iContact2019-10-21

"Company is Slowly Disbanding"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

To date, there are very few pros in comparison to other opportunities on the market.

Cons

Company first laid off employees. Now, is slowly letting the rest of the employees filter away to other employment opportunities. Investment in the brand and product line is ceasing. Slowly, operations of this product line are transferring to the parent company's other email marketing application.

Advice to Management

Be honest with those who have been loyal to you. Stop playing games.

iContact2019-10-16

"Used to be awesome."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- CEO is great and very approachable. - Free coffee and soda. - Great people.

Cons

- Pay is not very competitive for most departments. - Software fell behind the times and now can't catch up with competitors. - One department in particular does not appear to put much emphasis on diversity . It was frequently discussed amongst employees and the sentiment is that it won't change unless the VP moves on. There was a spree of diversified hirings but amongst employees, this was not believed to have... been without intervention.

Advice to Management

- At this point, it is obvious the company is in a steep decline so I'm not sure there is much that can be done. However, if the company can stay afloat, I would suggest strongly looking at VP of Client Services and ask yourself why literally dozens of SAs have left the company in the past couple of years. It's not solely for a higher salary.

iContact2019-08-10

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Strategic Advisor

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are not any pros to working at iContact, except the flexibility to do whatever you want. You can come and go as you please because management does not care about you, your growth, or goals. But, you can work 9:30-4:30 with a 1.5 hour lunch each day no problem.

Cons

Too many to think of. Company is run horribly because they do not understand their place in the market, they do not have long term goals, and they do not learn from mistakes. They are doing things the same way they have been doing them for 10 years, and hire management that will continue this theme and do not allow employees to try to improve the company or implement their own ideas. I agree with previous posts... about lack of career advancement, and poor people in management positions. The management team cares too much about who is writing Glassdoor reviews than to actually fix the problems that are going on within the company.

Advice to Management

Hire external management that are not just who internally sucks up the most. Bring in new ideas and look at what isn't working- including leadership. There is a reason for the insane amount of turnover in sales/ services over the last two years. Most of that is management and the teams realizing this company is going nowhere fast. Provide professional development to everyone! This does not exist now and it is very... clear in moral and how leaders act (especially within services). Just Google best business practices and maybe implement one or two.

iContact2019-08-21
  7. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company culture Allows you to grow by moving up

Cons

Constantly changing job roles can be confusing

iContact2019-06-20

"Great People, Changes with New Acqusition"

Former Employee - Professional in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic people from President Geoff Alexander, to management to co-workers who care about each other and the product. Customers and prospects appreciate the service and support and are pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Uncertainty and lack of communication following the acquisition by J2Global Media. Lots of change is driving cultural unrest, uncertainty and some trust issues.

Advice to Management

Earn trust by being fully transparent with current staff. Don't make statements that are not backed up by actions. Show that your staff is important to the bottom line before more people find new opportunities.

iContact2019-05-28

"Great place to enter the industry - just don't get stuck"

Former Employee - Strategy Team

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

iContact is a fantastic place to learn. You coworkers challenge you, your environment encourages being a thought leader.

Cons

You will be stressed and overworked, you will be compensated but definitely not rewarded. You will likely not have opportunities for real advancement.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your exceptional team members. If there isn't a place for them to grow then help them move on in a positive way instead of burning bridges. Don't hold people down just to keep great team members long term.

iContact2019-05-08

"Highs and Lows."

Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Has the potential to be great, management just doesn't seem to know how to leverage employees properly. Work life balance is good, unless you are one of the few that management consistently leans on. Company seems to be in a bit of an identity crisis, are we a services company or a application for small businesses?

Cons

Turnover is huge. Recent purchase is still debatable - Seems to be a good thing, unless iContact gets wrapped up into Campaigner. If J2 is willing to let us build the product that matches our small business model (again, this is debatable), we will succeed. VPs don't seem to be on the same page and GM doesn't stand his own ground. Internal promotions are a joke. Management circles through their favorites, even... if those favorites do not have the proper experience. There is a certain mold that you need to fit in order to be successful and it often doesn't rely on your work ethic. Reviews are pointless. Don't bother trying to stand up for yourself, you'll immediately be shunned. It'd be nice to see the GM actually acknowledge his workhorses. You can go months without having someone thank you for your efforts or tell you that you are doing a good job. The company isn't that big, it's not that hard to be thankful for the people that are in the trenches, especially when it comes to customer support/service.

Advice to Management

Pick one path and define your space in the market. Listen to your employees and value them, otherwise, you'll keep losing people that are your workhorses, actually invest in the company and care about the direction. If not, you'll be left with a team of robots that have no stake in the company and only care to gain a paycheck and leave right as their 8 hours are up. J2, take a look at the top, it's not hard to... discover the root of the problems and why we've had so much turnover. Create positions that actually resonate to what our client base needs, not some model that you've seen work with companies that are not in our market. Management, take ownership of when something fails, your employees didn't fail without you guiding them. Don't speak down to your employees, they are the reason you are where you are. Stop creating an environment that thrives on competition and pinning one person against another. Be transparent. Set goals months ahead of time, rather than just on the state of the current numbers. Stop playing catch up and actually set plans.

iContact2019-03-06