iContact Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
iContact President Geoffrey Alexander
Geoffrey Alexander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Great Company That Values It's Employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time

Pros

From upper management, to sales, to account managers, to the support and beyond, iContact is full of great people. Everyone is ready to team up and help each other out. We have an awesome product and a team that truly cares about promoting and growing the company. I am inspired by the positive attitudes and genuine work ethic that is shown day in and day out through my colleagues in every department. The work-life balance is encouraged at iContact. If you are looking for a career path driven, fun and innovative place to work then iContact is a perfect fit.

Cons

Some application changes take a while to be implemented. This is understandable in an industry that is constantly evolving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive reinforcement and continue to value your employees through incentives and company wide gestures of appreciation.

Aug 15, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for the review! We are very lucky to work with such amazing employees!

"Sinking Ship!"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work here are nice.
    Very relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Product development is very slow.
    No room for growth in the organization.
    Company is not very diverse.
    Managers do nothing all day and expect you to work like a slave.
    IContact is a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

When I first started working there it was a great place to work. There's a reason people are constantly leaving now.

"Cool Company, but Stagnant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at iContact (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People are so nice and helpful
    - Great new building & benefits
    - Not a lot of turnover

Cons

- Senior leadership (with one exception) has all been at the company 4+ years - in SERIOUS need of new blood
    - Very few training opportunities and chances for upward growth
    - Company is struggling to keep pace with the industry
     - Not a lot of turnover; some people should've been fired and were allowed to stay to the detriment of the company

Advice to Management

Get new senior management, particularly on the account executive (services) team. This team is seriously struggling to retain customers AND employees due to the horrifically incompetent management of this team.

President is a nice person, but doesn't have the experience to run a company that is stagnant and struggling.

Feb 21, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review! You're right, a lot of our managers have been with iContact for a long time. We believe in promoting from within and giving our employees opportunities to grow. As a... More

"Senior Database Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture. B Corp. Recognition. Very supportive environment.

Cons

Got bought. Not sure if the great culture exists anymore.

Advice to Management

I wish icontact had not been sold. It was a great company to work for and I enjoyed working there.

Aug 15, 2016 – Recruiter

Thanks for the review! We have done a remarkable job of maintaining the culture iContact is known for. That can be attributed to all of our wonderful employees, both past and present.

"Awesome, Growing Company with Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A growing company with stable finances. iContact places a lot of value on the people. Mostly, everyone I've met is chill yet hard-working. It's nice to see friendly faces every day.

Cons

The company could invest more in technical resources (i.e. hiring more developers).

Aug 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for the review! We appreciate the suggestion and are always working to invest in the company.

"Lots of Potential. Stifled by Inept Managers"

Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an extremely casual work environment and employees are typically not micro-managed. Gym in the building, modern office, and most people are exceptionally friendly.

Cons

Certain higher-level managers that have been there for far too long have shown time and time again that they have no real vision for the products growth and the services that go along with it. Hiring of non-technical employees for a technical role based on personality rather than talent degrades the credibility of the larger team. It seems as though many of the tenured people are afraid to break from tradition, and in the digital marketing space, this has lead to an exodus of customers and stifled the motvation and career development of talented people currently working here.

Advice to Management

If dozens of people all complain of the same problem or have left the company because of the same issue, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate that issue.

Aug 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. One of the things we pride ourselves on here at iContact is giving our employees a voice. We have conducted several employee surveys in the past months that have... More

"Needs Better Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

iContact is a decent place to grow as a young professional in the tech community. You will learn a lot of valuable skills, regardless of your department, and you will work with many dedicated individuals that care about the work they do and the industry they're in. Not every employee is an "A player" but most are.

- A strong work/life balance is promoted heavily, and it's true for most if not nearly all positions in the company.
    - Your standard checklist of "startup" amenities is there for you too -- ping pong, foosball, happy hours with beer/wine, and more.
    - For the most part, the company does a good job of hiring, with bad apples rarely finding their way into a job.
    - Compensation is fair for the area, but just fair. If you want to be at the top of the pay scale for your position, iContact isn't for you.
    - Health benefits (medical, dental, vision) are great and the company contributes to your 401K.
    - The iContact product itself is good and most customers seem to really like it, but it's a little behind the times compared to competitors. And the other two products the company has don't seem to get much attention because there aren't as many users.
    - There's a gym with a couple of showers, so that's convenient if you're into that. But it's usually occupied by a bunch of grunting employees that yell through workouts and sweat everywhere. Gross.
    - Free coffee and soda and iced tea.
    - The CEO seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he doesn't really get in front of the company all that much. I honestly have no clue if he knows the business the best in the company or if he's just someone people give information to. Giving him more facetime to the employees would probably be good so they get to know him better.

Cons

The more responsibility people in the company have, the more their work quality diminishes, to the point where those who are managing others simply spend most of their time managing and not a lot of time contributing. And those who are managing the managers, the "leadership team," they're basically just in meetings all day, rarely providing any sort of motivation or direction to their teams. They leave that to their managers and spend most of their time in their offices with the door closed.

There is very little communication from the top. There used to be quarterly meetings for the whole company, but they stopped them.

Things like priorities and values seem to change from quarter to quarter or year to year and there doesn't seem to be much reason for it, so you're not really sure who's driving it, which can be frustrating when you're not in the position to make decisions that affect the company's growth. This is by far the company's biggest weakness and the main reason why it will never likely be the kind of company that gets big again. It's likely to stay in the same position it is until it gets sold off to another company or goes out of business. There's just not a lot of urgency coming from leadership to make the company a better one. Lots of talk but no action whatsoever.

As far as the office goes, it's not exactly nice. Feels really small and depressing and outdated. There were whispers about looking for a new space before I left, but I don't know if those ever materialized. There's also not a lot of fairness in technology. Some people have brand new Macbooks, some have decent Dell laptops, and others are stuck with these huge paperweights that are five years old or more. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. So if that matters to you, you might get disappointed. Or you might not.

The product itself doesn't get updated as much as it should, and that makes it hard to retain customers and get new ones. Lots of team members say they feel overworked, but then you seem them playing ping pong or exercising in the gym, so who knows?

They make you pay for snacks from vending machines. A lot of friends tell me their RTP offices have free snacks, so that's kind of lame. They do have free fruit, but it runs out pretty quickly and takes forever to get refilled.

Advice to Management

Spend more time leading your company and less time talking about leading your company. Take ownership of your teams so they can grow and improve. Don't allow middle managers to stop contributing just because they're managing other people. For a company to be really good, everyone needs to jump in the ring, not just those who are making less than you.

Invest in your people however you can -- salaries, new laptops, a nicer office, better perks -- anything to make them feel like they want to be at work everyday. If you want the company to be one of the best in RTP, then you should try and show it.

Aug 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Like you mentioned, we do want to be one of the "best in RTP" , and we are all working toward that goal. One of the ways we are accomplishing that goal is by functioning... More

"Great Ride"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Durham, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

iContact provided a great environment and a challenging sales job that gave me the opportunity to work hard and advance my career.

Cons

Some poor choices were made in our marketing/product strategy which did not pay off for the company

Advice to Management

Keep investing in technology

Aug 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We are glad iContact could have a role in advancing your career.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People - The people at iContact are what truly make it a great place to work. Most everyone is friendly and personable, says hello when you pass in the hallways, etc. Management does a great job of balancing skill set with cultural fit, which makes cross department collaboration easy and enjoyable. Coworkers genuinely like each other, often hang-out outside of work, and there's a real sense of caring and community among most of the staff.

Culture - The overall company culture at iContact is great. Leadership has a clear goal and push their teams to deliver results, while also having fun at every opportunity and ensuring a solid work/life balance. Generous amounts of PTO, office closes early day prior to holidays, several company events throughout the year for employees to relax - they really take the "work hard / play hard" cliche to heart, and all levels of management seem invested in their employees' success, both professionally and personally.

Advancement opportunities - The company is growing again, with an exciting new product and target market. This naturally leads to new roles, advancement opportunities, broadening of skill sets, etc.

Location - Close to Raleigh and Durham, lots of restaurants and food trucks for plentiful lunch options.

Perks - Foosball, ping pong, Xbox one, free coffee/soda/snacks every day, bagel Monday, quarterly company happy hours, reasonable 401K matching, free onsite gym, etc. Working here is fun, plain and simple. And unlike a lot of other businesses I've seen where perks like this are available, but rarely if ever used, there are daily foosball and ping pong matches, frequent video game tournaments, etc.

Cons

Health insurance coverage is lackluster, and expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep people informed, keep being transparent, solidify your vision, and keep up the good work.

Aug 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thanks for the review! You're right, the people here are the best! To address your concern regarding the cost of our benefits. At the beginning of 2016 we switched from a self-insured program... More

"Excellent company, superior leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by brilliant people who are all dedicated to their craft. TONS of learning and growth opportunities. Leadership is transparent, and excellent. No idea goes unheard.

Cons

Some uncertainty with mergers/acquisitions. With competitors being acquired, who knows what will happen.

Advice to Management

Remain open and honest with your fantastic employees!

Aug 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for the review!