iContact Reviews | Glassdoor

Geoffrey Alexander

"Senior Database Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture. B Corp. Recognition. Very supportive environment.

Cons

Got bought. Not sure if the great culture exists anymore.

Advice to Management

I wish icontact had not been sold. It was a great company to work for and I enjoyed working there.

iContact2016-06-10

August 15, 2016Recruiter

Thanks for the review! We have done a remarkable job of maintaining the culture iContact is known for. That can be attributed to all of our wonderful employees, both past and present.

"Awesome, Growing Company with Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for less than a year

Pros

A growing company with stable finances. iContact places a lot of value on the people. Mostly, everyone I've met is chill yet hard-working. It's nice to see friendly faces every day.

Cons

The company could invest more in technical resources (i.e. hiring more developers).

iContact2016-04-24

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for the review! We appreciate the suggestion and are always working to invest in the company.

"Lots of Potential. Stifled by Inept Managers"

Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an extremely casual work environment and employees are typically not micro-managed. Gym in the building, modern office, and most people are exceptionally friendly.

Cons

Certain higher-level managers that have been there for far too long have shown time and time again that they have no real vision for the products growth and the services that go along with it. Hiring of non-technical employees for a technical role based on personality rather than talent degrades the credibility of the larger team. It seems as though many of the tenured people are afraid to break from tradition, and... in the digital marketing space, this has lead to an exodus of customers and stifled the motvation and career development of talented people currently working here.

Advice to Management

If dozens of people all complain of the same problem or have left the company because of the same issue, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate that issue.

iContact2016-03-16

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. One of the things we pride ourselves on here at iContact is giving our employees a voice. We have conducted several employee surveys in the past months that have allowed us the opportunity to identify potential issues in the organization and address them. We encourage you to continue providing constructive feedback to leadership and the HR team. Our door is always open!

"Needs Better Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

iContact is a decent place to grow as a young professional in the tech community. You will learn a lot of valuable skills, regardless of your department, and you will work with many dedicated individuals that care about the work they do and the industry they're in. Not every employee is an "A player" but most are. - A strong work/life balance is promoted heavily, and it's true for most if not nearly all positions... in the company. - Your standard checklist of "startup" amenities is there for you too -- ping pong, foosball, happy hours with beer/wine, and more. - For the most part, the company does a good job of hiring, with bad apples rarely finding their way into a job. - Compensation is fair for the area, but just fair. If you want to be at the top of the pay scale for your position, iContact isn't for you. - Health benefits (medical, dental, vision) are great and the company contributes to your 401K. - The iContact product itself is good and most customers seem to really like it, but it's a little behind the times compared to competitors. And the other two products the company has don't seem to get much attention because there aren't as many users. - There's a gym with a couple of showers, so that's convenient if you're into that. But it's usually occupied by a bunch of grunting employees that yell through workouts and sweat everywhere. Gross. - Free coffee and soda and iced tea. - The CEO seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he doesn't really get in front of the company all that much. I honestly have no clue if he knows the business the best in the company or if he's just someone people give information to. Giving him more facetime to the employees would probably be good so they get to know him better.

Cons

The more responsibility people in the company have, the more their work quality diminishes, to the point where those who are managing others simply spend most of their time managing and not a lot of time contributing. And those who are managing the managers, the "leadership team," they're basically just in meetings all day, rarely providing any sort of motivation or direction to their teams. They leave that to their... managers and spend most of their time in their offices with the door closed. There is very little communication from the top. There used to be quarterly meetings for the whole company, but they stopped them. Things like priorities and values seem to change from quarter to quarter or year to year and there doesn't seem to be much reason for it, so you're not really sure who's driving it, which can be frustrating when you're not in the position to make decisions that affect the company's growth. This is by far the company's biggest weakness and the main reason why it will never likely be the kind of company that gets big again. It's likely to stay in the same position it is until it gets sold off to another company or goes out of business. There's just not a lot of urgency coming from leadership to make the company a better one. Lots of talk but no action whatsoever. As far as the office goes, it's not exactly nice. Feels really small and depressing and outdated. There were whispers about looking for a new space before I left, but I don't know if those ever materialized. There's also not a lot of fairness in technology. Some people have brand new Macbooks, some have decent Dell laptops, and others are stuck with these huge paperweights that are five years old or more. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. So if that matters to you, you might get disappointed. Or you might not. The product itself doesn't get updated as much as it should, and that makes it hard to retain customers and get new ones. Lots of team members say they feel overworked, but then you seem them playing ping pong or exercising in the gym, so who knows? They make you pay for snacks from vending machines. A lot of friends tell me their RTP offices have free snacks, so that's kind of lame. They do have free fruit, but it runs out pretty quickly and takes forever to get refilled.

Advice to Management

Spend more time leading your company and less time talking about leading your company. Take ownership of your teams so they can grow and improve. Don't allow middle managers to stop contributing just because they're managing other people. For a company to be really good, everyone needs to jump in the ring, not just those who are making less than you. Invest in your people however you can -- salaries, new laptops,... a nicer office, better perks -- anything to make them feel like they want to be at work everyday. If you want the company to be one of the best in RTP, then you should try and show it.

iContact2016-03-12

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Like you mentioned, we do want to be one of the "best in RTP" , and we are all working toward that goal. One of the ways we are accomplishing that goal is by functioning as an incredibly lean organization. We may not have your traditional silicon valley style perks, but that doesn't stop us from showing appreciation for our employees when we can. We've recently moved into a beautiful new office building, have gotten back on schedule with the quarterly meetings, and have been investing in IT to provide updated equipment to teams company wide.

"Great Ride"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Durham, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

iContact provided a great environment and a challenging sales job that gave me the opportunity to work hard and advance my career.

Cons

Some poor choices were made in our marketing/product strategy which did not pay off for the company

Advice to Management

Keep investing in technology

iContact2016-02-13

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We are glad iContact could have a role in advancing your career.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People - The people at iContact are what truly make it a great place to work. Most everyone is friendly and personable, says hello when you pass in the hallways, etc. Management does a great job of balancing skill set with cultural fit, which makes cross department collaboration easy and enjoyable. Coworkers genuinely like each other, often hang-out outside of work, and there's a real sense of caring and community... among most of the staff. Culture - The overall company culture at iContact is great. Leadership has a clear goal and push their teams to deliver results, while also having fun at every opportunity and ensuring a solid work/life balance. Generous amounts of PTO, office closes early day prior to holidays, several company events throughout the year for employees to relax - they really take the "work hard / play hard" cliche to heart, and all levels of management seem invested in their employees' success, both professionally and personally. Advancement opportunities - The company is growing again, with an exciting new product and target market. This naturally leads to new roles, advancement opportunities, broadening of skill sets, etc. Location - Close to Raleigh and Durham, lots of restaurants and food trucks for plentiful lunch options. Perks - Foosball, ping pong, Xbox one, free coffee/soda/snacks every day, bagel Monday, quarterly company happy hours, reasonable 401K matching, free onsite gym, etc. Working here is fun, plain and simple. And unlike a lot of other businesses I've seen where perks like this are available, but rarely if ever used, there are daily foosball and ping pong matches, frequent video game tournaments, etc.

Cons

Health insurance coverage is lackluster, and expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep people informed, keep being transparent, solidify your vision, and keep up the good work.

iContact2016-01-26

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thanks for the review! You're right, the people here are the best! To address your concern regarding the cost of our benefits. At the beginning of 2016 we switched from a self-insured program to a fully-insured program to better align the organization with competitors. This has allowed us to keep premiums and deductibles low while keeping the quality of coverage high. Healthy people are happy people!

"Excellent company, superior leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are surrounded by brilliant people who are all dedicated to their craft. TONS of learning and growth opportunities. Leadership is transparent, and excellent. No idea goes unheard.

Cons

Some uncertainty with mergers/acquisitions. With competitors being acquired, who knows what will happen.

Advice to Management

Remain open and honest with your fantastic employees!

iContact2015-11-16

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for the review!

"Fun Place to Work with Excellent Employees"

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are my favorite part of iContact. Walking down the hall nearly everyone says hello. The company holds on-site social gatherings after our quarterly meetings, encouraging employees in different departments to interact on a regular basis. You can often see smaller groups playing Foosball, Xbox One, mini-basketball, or corn hole. We get some fun bonding time at things like company picnics, pig pickings, and... team lunches. The bulk of people here are smart, welcoming, hard working, and fun to be around. Upper management, particularly HR and the President, is extremely friendly and have an open door policy. Employee suggestions are encouraged, and surveys have been sent out to get general feedback about what improvements should be made. I have never experienced any micro-managing since I have been with the company. My managers have respected the fact that we are all adults and deal with employee issues one on one rather than allowing things to affect the whole group. People tend to be promoted based on their abilities and work ethic rather than seniority. When I "clock out" for the day my evening is my own. I don't have to bring a bunch of work stress home with me. I can focus on my family and leave work where it belongs.

Cons

The building could use some repairs and updates. There has been new construction recently which improved the look and feel, but this also caused some departments to be displaced taking up additional rooms for a time.

Advice to Management

Continue to show interest in each employee's individual growth and movement through the company.

iContact2015-09-29

August 15, 2016Recruiter

Thanks for the review! We recently moved into a beautiful new building and finally have the modern working environment our employees deserve.

"Terrible Experience"

in Raleigh, NC

I worked at iContact for less than a year

Pros

Great people work here and the benefits are awesome.

Cons

Very poor management and they promote the WRONG people. My supervisor, his supervisor, along with HR are all very unprofessional. My supervisor NEVER worked. I would never recommend working there.

Advice to Management

GET IT TOGETHER.

iContact2015-09-08

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thanks you for your review. iContact puts a large focus on promoting a happy and productive work environment, we are sorry you did not find that. One of the ways we maintain our open culture is by conducting frequent surveys and open dialogues with the goal of soliciting feedback on internal functions including management. We hope that in your time here you took the time to voice your concerns. As you know, one of our core values is "Be Heard".

"Good company at the time"

Sales Executive in Holly Springs, NC

I worked at iContact for more than a year

Pros

Great people, solid leadership, good benefits

Cons

software was behind. Flat sales structure with little room to grow career

Advice to Management

none

iContact2015-06-26

September 23, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review. As an update, we have reinvested in our software product coming out with a new product and making advancements with features. You should check it out! We've also made advancements with our sales team to accommodate more growth opportunities.

Found 57 reviews