iContact "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

iContact Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.6
iContact CEO Geoffrey Alexander
Geoffrey Alexander
Pros
  • "Good work/life balance in general(in 11 reviews)

• "From upper management, to sales, to account managers, to the support and beyond, iContact is full of great people(in 8 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Amazing work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Product Expert

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance Overtime opportunities Excellent team and leadership Company outings and events Relaxes and friendly work environment Competent co-workers

Cons

Relatively lower pay compared to other similar jobs, off-set by good benefits. Company has been acquired a few times throughout the years, leading to mass layoffs, though I have not been affected personally by these.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

iContact2019-06-05

"Turnover rate is huge"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility. Work life balance. Convenient office location.

Cons

This company has a very high turnover rate. Management seems unable to provide direction and unwilling to consider employee concerns. Targets are constantly changing and often unclear.

Advice to Management

Hire new management to bring fresh blood into your thinking. Pay attention to why the company is a revolving door of employees. You will keep having a hard time keeping people in jobs if you don't change management attitudes.

iContact2019-06-27

"Highs and Lows."

Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Has the potential to be great, management just doesn't seem to know how to leverage employees properly. Work life balance is good, unless you are one of the few that management consistently leans on. Company seems to be in a bit of an identity crisis, are we a services company or a application for small businesses?

Cons

Turnover is huge. Recent purchase is still debatable - Seems to be a good thing, unless iContact gets wrapped up into Campaigner. If J2 is willing to let us build the product that matches our small business model (again, this is debatable), we will succeed. VPs don't seem to be on the same page and GM doesn't stand his own ground. Internal promotions are a joke. Management circles through their favorites, even... if those favorites do not have the proper experience. There is a certain mold that you need to fit in order to be successful and it often doesn't rely on your work ethic. Reviews are pointless. Don't bother trying to stand up for yourself, you'll immediately be shunned. It'd be nice to see the GM actually acknowledge his workhorses. You can go months without having someone thank you for your efforts or tell you that you are doing a good job. The company isn't that big, it's not that hard to be thankful for the people that are in the trenches, especially when it comes to customer support/service.

Advice to Management

Pick one path and define your space in the market. Listen to your employees and value them, otherwise, you'll keep losing people that are your workhorses, actually invest in the company and care about the direction. If not, you'll be left with a team of robots that have no stake in the company and only care to gain a paycheck and leave right as their 8 hours are up. J2, take a look at the top, it's not hard to... discover the root of the problems and why we've had so much turnover. Create positions that actually resonate to what our client base needs, not some model that you've seen work with companies that are not in our market. Management, take ownership of when something fails, your employees didn't fail without you guiding them. Don't speak down to your employees, they are the reason you are where you are. Stop creating an environment that thrives on competition and pinning one person against another. Be transparent. Set goals months ahead of time, rather than just on the state of the current numbers. Stop playing catch up and actually set plans.

iContact2019-03-06
  4. "Good place to work overall."

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance in general.

Cons

Management could need a overhaul and fresh perspective.

Advice to Management

More internal growth opportunities needed

iContact2018-02-09

"A Great Company That Values It's Employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time

Pros

From upper management, to sales, to account managers, to the support and beyond, iContact is full of great people. Everyone is ready to team up and help each other out. We have an awesome product and a team that truly cares about promoting and growing the company. I am inspired by the positive attitudes and genuine work ethic that is shown day in and day out through my colleagues in every department. The work-life... balance is encouraged at iContact. If you are looking for a career path driven, fun and innovative place to work then iContact is a perfect fit.

Cons

Some application changes take a while to be implemented. This is understandable in an industry that is constantly evolving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive reinforcement and continue to value your employees through incentives and company wide gestures of appreciation.

iContact2016-08-10

August 15, 2016Recruiter

Thank you for the review! We are very lucky to work with such amazing employees!

"Needs Better Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

iContact is a decent place to grow as a young professional in the tech community. You will learn a lot of valuable skills, regardless of your department, and you will work with many dedicated individuals that care about the work they do and the industry they're in. Not every employee is an "A player" but most are. - A strong work/life balance is promoted heavily, and it's true for most if not nearly all positions... in the company. - Your standard checklist of "startup" amenities is there for you too -- ping pong, foosball, happy hours with beer/wine, and more. - For the most part, the company does a good job of hiring, with bad apples rarely finding their way into a job. - Compensation is fair for the area, but just fair. If you want to be at the top of the pay scale for your position, iContact isn't for you. - Health benefits (medical, dental, vision) are great and the company contributes to your 401K. - The iContact product itself is good and most customers seem to really like it, but it's a little behind the times compared to competitors. And the other two products the company has don't seem to get much attention because there aren't as many users. - There's a gym with a couple of showers, so that's convenient if you're into that. But it's usually occupied by a bunch of grunting employees that yell through workouts and sweat everywhere. Gross. - Free coffee and soda and iced tea. - The CEO seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he doesn't really get in front of the company all that much. I honestly have no clue if he knows the business the best in the company or if he's just someone people give information to. Giving him more facetime to the employees would probably be good so they get to know him better.

Cons

The more responsibility people in the company have, the more their work quality diminishes, to the point where those who are managing others simply spend most of their time managing and not a lot of time contributing. And those who are managing the managers, the "leadership team," they're basically just in meetings all day, rarely providing any sort of motivation or direction to their teams. They leave that to their... managers and spend most of their time in their offices with the door closed. There is very little communication from the top. There used to be quarterly meetings for the whole company, but they stopped them. Things like priorities and values seem to change from quarter to quarter or year to year and there doesn't seem to be much reason for it, so you're not really sure who's driving it, which can be frustrating when you're not in the position to make decisions that affect the company's growth. This is by far the company's biggest weakness and the main reason why it will never likely be the kind of company that gets big again. It's likely to stay in the same position it is until it gets sold off to another company or goes out of business. There's just not a lot of urgency coming from leadership to make the company a better one. Lots of talk but no action whatsoever. As far as the office goes, it's not exactly nice. Feels really small and depressing and outdated. There were whispers about looking for a new space before I left, but I don't know if those ever materialized. There's also not a lot of fairness in technology. Some people have brand new Macbooks, some have decent Dell laptops, and others are stuck with these huge paperweights that are five years old or more. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. So if that matters to you, you might get disappointed. Or you might not. The product itself doesn't get updated as much as it should, and that makes it hard to retain customers and get new ones. Lots of team members say they feel overworked, but then you seem them playing ping pong or exercising in the gym, so who knows? They make you pay for snacks from vending machines. A lot of friends tell me their RTP offices have free snacks, so that's kind of lame. They do have free fruit, but it runs out pretty quickly and takes forever to get refilled.

Advice to Management

Spend more time leading your company and less time talking about leading your company. Take ownership of your teams so they can grow and improve. Don't allow middle managers to stop contributing just because they're managing other people. For a company to be really good, everyone needs to jump in the ring, not just those who are making less than you. Invest in your people however you can -- salaries, new laptops,... a nicer office, better perks -- anything to make them feel like they want to be at work everyday. If you want the company to be one of the best in RTP, then you should try and show it.

iContact2016-03-12

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Like you mentioned, we do want to be one of the "best in RTP" , and we are all working toward that goal. One of the ways we are accomplishing that goal is by functioning as an incredibly lean organization. We may not have your traditional silicon valley style perks, but that doesn't stop us from showing appreciation for our employees when we can. We've recently moved into a beautiful new office building, have gotten back on schedule with the quarterly meetings, and have been investing in IT to provide updated equipment to teams company wide.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People - The people at iContact are what truly make it a great place to work. Most everyone is friendly and personable, says hello when you pass in the hallways, etc. Management does a great job of balancing skill set with cultural fit, which makes cross department collaboration easy and enjoyable. Coworkers genuinely like each other, often hang-out outside of work, and there's a real sense of caring and community... among most of the staff. Culture - The overall company culture at iContact is great. Leadership has a clear goal and push their teams to deliver results, while also having fun at every opportunity and ensuring a solid work/life balance. Generous amounts of PTO, office closes early day prior to holidays, several company events throughout the year for employees to relax - they really take the "work hard / play hard" cliche to heart, and all levels of management seem invested in their employees' success, both professionally and personally. Advancement opportunities - The company is growing again, with an exciting new product and target market. This naturally leads to new roles, advancement opportunities, broadening of skill sets, etc. Location - Close to Raleigh and Durham, lots of restaurants and food trucks for plentiful lunch options. Perks - Foosball, ping pong, Xbox one, free coffee/soda/snacks every day, bagel Monday, quarterly company happy hours, reasonable 401K matching, free onsite gym, etc. Working here is fun, plain and simple. And unlike a lot of other businesses I've seen where perks like this are available, but rarely if ever used, there are daily foosball and ping pong matches, frequent video game tournaments, etc.

Cons

Health insurance coverage is lackluster, and expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep people informed, keep being transparent, solidify your vision, and keep up the good work.

iContact2016-01-26

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thanks for the review! You're right, the people here are the best! To address your concern regarding the cost of our benefits. At the beginning of 2016 we switched from a self-insured program to a fully-insured program to better align the organization with competitors. This has allowed us to keep premiums and deductibles low while keeping the quality of coverage high. Healthy people are happy people!

8. "Interesting company"

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance, good benefits and pay was good for the industry. Excellent direct managers

Cons

Company has since changed hands so most of this is historical reference. Company seemed too concerned with how they looked and more about environmental concerns than the actual business.

Advice to Management

Hopefully as the company has changed hands, the direction has changed and the focus is more on product than the environment.

iContact2015-05-21

July 13, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback. We have certainly changed quite a bit from being "too concerned about how we look" and have been more focused on the product and taking care of our employees.

"Couldn't ask for a better place to work..."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Company Culture is very much centered on work-life balance, some companies brag about a "work-hard/play hard" culture, but iContact lives it. -Results oriented sales team and management, which I love. If you perform well, you are rewarded and no one is micromanaging your day to day activity, which makes for a very positive work environment. -Transparency across all business units, and all managers have an... open-door policy, even upper level managers. -Compensation is very competitive, and employees (not just their contributions) are highly valued. -Small business/Start Up atmosphere gives the impression that you can truly make a contribution to the business overall, and this impression has proven correct over my 3 years with the company. It very much feels like a family, especially on the sales team. -Ping Pong Table, Basketball, Xbox, free Starbucks coffee and other beverages are just a few of the perks around the office. And it's not just "for show," employees are encouraged to get up from their desks, and spend time having fun throughout the day. I think this philosophy makes for a more productive work force. -Lots of opportunities for professional development if you are interested, our manager is very conscious of your personal goals and providing you with the tools to prepare you to achieve them. -Lots of recent investment in the product, future seems extremely bright

Cons

-Building is a little outdated but the company has made a concerted effort to "spruce" up the place over the past year. Consistent improvements are evident daily, and our complaints about facilities do not fall on deaf ears.

iContact2014-11-18

August 16, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for the review! We hope you're enjoying the new office!

"Agile is as agile does."

Former Employee - QA Tester in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

people seriously dedicated to Agile, continuous development, and testing. Amazing culture of corporate responsibility, good perks. Super lenient with things you need to do; work/life balance.

Cons

All of those people are gone, after the acquisition by Vocus. "Funny-Money" trading system means nothing can actually get done. CTO tech snobbery.

Advice to Management

Pare yourself down a bit; focus more on improving the product than simply trying to copy the competition. Also, new management, take a cue from the old iContact management, as this review would be much more positive before the acquisition.

iContact2012-08-22