iCrossing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Mike Parker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic work/life balance for an agency (rarely left after 5) (in 17 reviews)

• Great community environment, everyone is very fun to work with, can learn a lot as everyone is excellent in there area (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The agency is top heavy and ready to topple (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management too caught up in each other (in 10 reviews)

1. "Lost its independence, lost its way!"

Former Employee - SEO Manager in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SEO Manager in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair salary, early finish Friday (if you don't have too heavy a workload!), some social activities, good brand experience for CV, good location

Cons

Very high workload, downward pressure without support, US & UK CEO out of touch (both now booted I believe), obvious that Hearst are putting pressure on for ROI to recoup losses from paying way too much!

Advice to Management

You guys are pretty good at winning but retaining clients is an issue, especially smaller clients who feel they are not getting the service they deserve as resources are diverted to service bigger accounts. You need to make sure you can effectively plan resource to service everyone. Retaining staff is the other key issues, your core talent base has left in droves because staff are stressed and the culture is not enjoyable, this is great news for other agencies who are snapping them up! Happy staff = happy clients.

2. "Kick start to my career"

I have been working at iCrossing full-time

Pros

The company took me in as an apprentice and kick-started my career. Everyone in the Paid Media team was friendly, hard working and ran great socials.

The training was incredible, I went from clueless to an expert in the three years I worked here. As well as great training, I gained a lot of hands on experience with some high profile clients. Regular performance reviews and monthly catch up withs my line manager made me fully aware of where I needed to improve in my performance and where I can expect my career to be developing.

I left the company with a strong CV full of experience, working at iCrossing gave me a good boost to my career. I fully enjoyed working at iCrossing.

Cons

Initially the only cons where that which come with any digital agency (high stress, lots of work, tight turn overs).

I left after the CEO of the parent company changed hands and the atmosphere changed, Promotions where frozen, lots of people got laid off and the vibes of the company changed to be a lot more negative. Turn over increased massively after this. I do not know if this has since been resolved.

Advice to Management

None at the moment, I've been gone from the company too long to give up to date advice!

3. "Luv"

Pros

Fun, creative people and chill office vibe.

Cons

Lack in creativity but there is always hope.

"A great head-start, but that's it"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

iCrossing was my first job out of university. They trained me up from a Junior and gave me the chance to work on campaigns for big clients like Barclays, Coca Cola, LG, L'Oreal and M&S. The office was mostly a fun and interesting place with lots of social activities and we got some fairly good benefits (free coffee, healthcare, pension scheme). Plus the job had plenty of variety with lots of opportunities to visit clients, work offsite, attend conferences and so on. The work could be humdrum, but when we got the chance to work on something big it was exciting as it seemed everyone was very switched-on and eager to get stuck in.

Cons

Unfortunately, behind the thin veneer was a company in disarray. Promotions were rare and redundancies seemed like an everyday occurrence, while the only thing more consistent than the turnover of staff was the turnover of senior management. This all added up to an atmosphere rife with resentment. Fear and uncertainty spread so that most people saw leaving as their safest option - and they did, in large numbers. Many of them were then not replaced and their work was delegated to whoever could take it. This led to even more frustration and of course meant the quality of work fell. This in turn led to clients leaving, which caused revenue to drop, which led to more redundancies, and the cycle repeated. It's been over a year since I left so I can't comment on recent history, but I sincerely hope they've managed to pull out of this downward spiral.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the company's image, and start adding some substance. Winning awards and hosting elaborate parties won't help you sign or retain clients. Focusing on your staff and creating an environment where people are hungry and driven to work hard for their clients will. Next, don't look at your staff leaving as an inevitable part of agency life, look at it as a systemic problem that you need to address if you want to stop on top. And lastly, settle on a leader and a company vision, stop changing it every time it doesn't pay off as quickly as you like.

5. "Partage"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learnt much from my colleagues and had a great first experience. An agency was the best place to learn about Digital marketing. Company culture very relaxed

Cons

Due to financial difficulties, the agency had to get rid of many colleagues - in a brutal way. The agency was not so well renowned either

"Once Was Great - Now Sad, Depressing and Continuing to Sink"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

iCrossing used to be a hungry, creative, hard-working and somewhat cutting edge agency. We used to be looked at as a leader in the Search Marketing industry. Flexibility in work-life balance is good (depending on which office you work out of). Still works with some great clients.

Cons

Benefits fairly sub-standard. Office and corporate culture completely wiped out with addition of (and subsequent departure of) Nick Brien. His arrival brought a large number of layoffs, departures, onboarding of Nick's cronies, etc. Then he decided to leave after turning the place upside down. Great.

Advice to Management

HEARST... wipe out Nick's crew and bring in people who actually care and want to bring iC back to respectability. Or not.

"Great teams, terrible upper management"

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fantastic work/life balance for an agency (rarely left after 5)
    -Great benefits
    -A lot of vacation time and a ton of time off for holidays
    -high-quality clients with a large scope of work
    -good team environment and intelligent coworkers
    -lot of fun events at office
    -opportunity to advance

Cons

-iCrossing is SUPER heavily weighted on the upper management side, and employees don't feel that management listens to them
    -low pay for everyone but execs
    -after someone leaves iCrossing RARELY hires someone new, leaving all that persons work on the rest of the team
    -terrible processes that slow things down.
    -starting to have a much more "corporate" feel.
    -takes FOREVER to get reviews done, salary increases or to hire new people

Advice to Management

-actually listen to what people have to say and don't just make calls on what you think is "trendy"
    -pay your people better and offer bonuses

8. "Great Agency, Incredible People!"

Former Employee - Search Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Search Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at iCrossing in London for 2 years and it was a fantastic place to work. I joined as a junior working in search and progressed both in terms of my skill-set (working in collaborative teams) and my level within the company, being promoted twice.

The work is varied an we had great clients to work on, with good relationships already in place.

Training and support was always available and iCrossing has taught me more than I could have imagined.

Cons

Nothing specific I can think of

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing, you are awesome!

9. "Intern at Digital Marketing Agency"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at iCrossing (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, casual/friendly culture. Company has some great clients.

Cons

Quick turnover rate. Some nightmare clients that can be tough to work with. Sometimes not a clear distinction between account and product management roles.

10. "Great place"

I worked at iCrossing full-time

Pros

Great community environment, everyone is very fun to work with, can learn a lot as everyone is excellent in there area. As well tons of great food options within walking distance

Cons

None, the company was great to work for.