iHeartMedia Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

New York, NY

3.1
Robert W. (Bob) Pittman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance is a point of emphasis and pretty well maintained compared with previous employers (in 27 reviews)

• Really fun work environment with awesome co-workers (in 52 reviews)

Cons

"Awesome Place To Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia as an intern

Pros

Amazing headquarters, nice employees, interesting industry, fun working environment, big company, interns got to tour radio studios

Cons

unpaid intern, boring at times

Advice to Management

The intern program was amazing. Made so many connections, got a super good look into the media industry, got to interact and meet with company executives. Overall, super valuable experience for those looking to go into media. I do wish the internship was paid for obvious reasons and because they wouldn't let interns do work that employees are paid to do since we were unpaid.

"Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time

Pros

Good people to work with it, open to answering questions and helping when stuck on a project, casual dress code, team atmosphere

Cons

No formal review process for positions in finance that don't have bonus, promotion / pay increase can take time, depending on your group

Advice to Management

Have formal reviews/goals for all positions, it will help with personal and professional growth

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours were manageable. Co-workers were friendly.

Cons

Benefits were not as advertised

Advice to Management

Hire experienced managers

4. "Excellent working environment but at a company with an uncertain future."

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly. Fun work environment.

Cons

I wasn't a fan of the benefits package.

Advice to Management

Spend more time strategizing. I felt like many shots were taken in the dark.

"Cool music perks, poor top-down management + clock watching"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Music perks
    * Don't need to work more than 40 hours/week. Not stressful.
    * People are generally nice
    * Unlimited vacation (not technically unlimited, but nobody's really counting)
    * Hackathons / Hack Week
    * Office sports

Cons

Note: This review is focused on the engineering side of the company.

* Clock watching, need an excuse to work from home

As someone who's big on flexible work and working from home, the first 8 months were fantastic. Then management changed, and all of a sudden the hours I was in the office was a problem, and I now needed to ask for permission to work from home in advance. Being naive, I tried to convince them that I should be judged on the actual output and quality of my work rather than the perception of it, but the idea was seen as heresy and completely non-negotiable, and they seemed insulted that I'd even suggest that.

* Cheap. Getting raises is a 2-3 month process that requires approval from the CFO

One of my co-workers would offhandedly tell me that the company was really cheap. I didn't understand it at the time because I was happy with my salary, but when it came time to ask for a raise because I was being paid below-market, I understood.

Unless you threaten to leave for a better offer on the table from a competing company, you're going to have to go through a 2-3 month process to get a raise for anything above $100k/yr. To be fair they're going bankrupt, and they probably just didn't like me enough (it's all good though, I left for another company that offered me 40% more).

* They don't care about your career and ensuring that you get challenging/ interesting work.

After over a year of doing important work and getting good performance reviews, I wanted to take on more challenging projects. What ended up happening was we hired a senior engineer, and all the interesting work was siphoned off to him. I wasn't even invited to the discussion table (eg. regarding large architectural decisions). When I voiced my concerns, I was told that I'd soon be put on the "interesting" work (basically just migrating features to the senior engineer's rewrite, so not really interesting) after the day-to-day stuff was done.

* Top-down borderline dictatorial. Take job titles too seriously.

I feel like management is a bit too top-down. Engineers should be able to allocate amongst ourselves who does what rather than being assigned work from people who aren't doing the actual work.

For example, it was somehow decided that one of the more challenging longstanding bugs would be assigned to the brand new "senior engineer". Doesn't matter that anyone else might also work on it or be more qualified to solve it knowing the codebase better, it was dictated by management not involved in the day to day work. Surprise - a year and a half later and it's still not fixed (and this is a pretty mild example. Won't talk about the most absurd and biggest failure because I don't want to out anyone).

When standup was moved an hour earlier, I suggested a later start time more inline with what it used to be because I'm a night owl. My suggestion wasn't taken seriously and was completely dismissed. (just to contrast this with my current job, I suggested standup to be an hour later from the original time and was told "sure").

* Work is a bit too PM driven. Backlog is basically dictated by the PM. Engineers should have more of a voice on the work they do.

* Agile taken a bit too seriously. Weird fanatical obsession with metrics like sprint completion percentage. Too many meetings (standup, sprint planning, backlog refinement, demo day, retrospective)

* Slight air of arrogance from the top

Don't want to name any names. For the record, the president is extremely nice, and so are most of the executives and higher-ups. All it takes is one person.

* No real exit interview

As you can see there was a lot I wanted to talk about. I was asked to fill out an online survey, and that was it.

I don't want to sound too negative, I enjoyed my time here in the beginning and am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work here (hence the 4 stars). But they're cheap, and I don't feel like there's any real loyalty here (unless you're seen as a superstar prodigy), so I wouldn't see this as more than a stepping stone. Turnover here is high for a reason.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap, stop clock-watching and punishing remote work and start focusing on results, give engineers more autonomy and a say in the work they do (they're the ones doing it after all), be at least somewhat cognizant of their careers and ensuring they're growing and happy, stop taking job titles so seriously, get feedback from exiting employees by actually talking to them, stop being so stingy with tickets to big events (eg. Summer Pool Party).

You have extremely high turnover (a recruiter even told me that once), maybe you should work to fix that because it'll improve the quality of your product.

"Ok"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dress down, casual atmosphere, low stress

Cons

Unorganized, not much opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Need better organization and employee training

"It's Okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry, great people, but not much else.

Cons

Tight fisted with cash as they are trying to get out of debt, lack of training, corporate office seems to have more perks than the radio offices, a lot of boring and menial tasks.

"Digital dream team being wasted"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great technology and tech team. 'halo' effect of being part of music business and some perks go with that.

Cons

a lot more can be done to advance the 'digital' efforts if given the leeway to truly be disruptive. too mired in 'old school' thinking. lack vision.

Advice to Management

get out of the way. let talented folks do their jobs. spin out iheartradio digital to get it out from the massive debt and show a positive outcome to investors and the industry.

9. "Good life work balance"

Current Employee - Android Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Android Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom over your work and life. People are very nice. Engineer driven.

Cons

Everything is pretty steady. No much room to grow

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Driven, smart and motivated people.

Cons

A dying company - panicking.

Showing 68 of 1,161 reviews