iHeartMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

iHeartMedia Reviews

Updated December 6, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance is a point of emphasis and pretty well maintained compared with previous employers (in 28 reviews)

• Really fun work environment with awesome co-workers (in 56 reviews)

1. "Management"

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people. Very conducive to learning and growing as an individual in the business world.

Cons

Very little growth potential in any current position. Only way to get a raise is to switch teams entirely.

"Board Op"

I worked at iHeartMedia part-time

Pros

The perks of saying you're affiliated with Company.
    The ability to transfer to any office within the country.

Cons

Very demanding.
    Bad pay.
    No health benefits.
    Terrible HR department.

"international, lots of opportunity, kind of backwards"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at iHeartMedia (More than a year)

Pros

It's huge, and if you want to work in lots of different companies, it's full of opportunities. Salary is pretty good, all things considered.

Cons

Senior management is pretty much amateur hour, and the local office staff are essentially 1 step up from used car salesmen. So, nobody really knows how to run a big company or how to work in a post 20th century style office.

Advice to Management

Buy, don't build. Aggressively modernize. Transform from a 3 martini lunch sales model to an online brand.

"Started good, ended sour."

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at iHeartMedia part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities to learn. Great for internships.

Cons

They use you for free work. They passed people over for promotions that were the most qualified for someone far less qualified. They would give the white employees hours, but would cut the hours of the black employees. HR Nightmare!

5. "Bad Management"

Pros

Flexible, easy, good people, and nice work environment

Cons

Stagnation, poor tone at the top

6. "Producer"

I worked at iHeartMedia part-time

Pros

Coworkers and immediate supervisors are amazing. Incredibly fun job with great perks

Cons

Hard to go from part time to full time. Part time pay is hard to work with once you're out of school.

"Cool music perks, poor top-down management + clock watching"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at iHeartMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Music perks
    * Don't need to work more than 40 hours/week. Not stressful.
    * People are generally nice
    * Unlimited vacation (not technically unlimited, but nobody's really counting)
    * Hackathons / Hack Week
    * Office sports

Cons

Note: This review is focused on the engineering side of the company.

* Clock watching, need an excuse to work from home

As someone who's big on flexible work and working from home, the first 8 months were fantastic. Then management changed, and all of a sudden the hours I was in the office was a problem, and I now needed to ask for permission to work from home in advance. Being naive, I tried to convince them that I should be judged on the actual output and quality of my work rather than the perception of it, but the idea was seen as heresy and completely non-negotiable, and they seemed insulted that I'd even suggest that.

* Cheap. Getting raises is a 2-3 month process that requires approval from the CFO

One of my co-workers would offhandedly tell me that the company was really cheap. I didn't understand it at the time because I was happy with my salary, but when it came time to ask for a raise because I was being paid below-market, I understood.

Unless you threaten to leave for a better offer on the table from a competing company, you're going to have to go through a 2-3 month process to get a raise for anything above $100k/yr. To be fair they're going bankrupt, and they probably just didn't like me enough (it's all good though, I left for another company that offered me 40% more).

* They don't care about your career and ensuring that you get challenging/ interesting work.

After over a year of doing important work and getting good performance reviews, I wanted to take on more challenging projects. What ended up happening was we hired a senior engineer, and all the interesting work was siphoned off to him. I wasn't even invited to the discussion table (eg. regarding large architectural decisions). When I voiced my concerns, I was told that I'd soon be put on the "interesting" work (basically just migrating features to the senior engineer's rewrite, so not really interesting) after the day-to-day stuff was done.

* Top-down borderline dictatorial. Take job titles too seriously.

I feel like management is a bit too top-down. Engineers should be able to allocate amongst ourselves who does what rather than being assigned work from people who aren't doing the actual work.

For example, it was somehow decided that one of the more challenging longstanding bugs would be assigned to the brand new "senior engineer". Doesn't matter that anyone else might also work on it or be more qualified to solve it knowing the codebase better, it was dictated by management not involved in the day to day work. Surprise - a year and a half later and it's still not fixed (and this is a pretty mild example. Won't talk about the most absurd and biggest failure because I don't want to out anyone).

When standup was moved an hour earlier, I suggested a later start time more inline with what it used to be because I'm a night owl. My suggestion wasn't taken seriously and was completely dismissed. (just to contrast this with my current job, I suggested standup to be an hour later from the original time and was told "sure").

* Work is a bit too PM driven. Backlog is basically dictated by the PM. Engineers should have more of a voice on the work they do.

* Agile taken a bit too seriously. Weird fanatical obsession with metrics like sprint completion percentage. Too many meetings (standup, sprint planning, backlog refinement, demo day, retrospective)

* Slight air of arrogance from the top

Don't want to name any names. For the record, the president is extremely nice, and so are most of the executives and higher-ups. All it takes is one person.

* No real exit interview

As you can see there was a lot I wanted to talk about. I was asked to fill out an online survey, and that was it.

I don't want to sound too negative, I enjoyed my time here in the beginning and am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work here (hence the 4 stars). But they're cheap, and I don't feel like there's any real loyalty here (unless you're seen as a superstar prodigy), so I wouldn't see this as more than a stepping stone. Turnover here is high for a reason.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap, stop clock-watching and punishing remote work and start focusing on results, give engineers more autonomy and a say in the work they do (they're the ones doing it after all), be at least somewhat cognizant of their careers and ensuring they're growing and happy, stop taking job titles so seriously, get feedback from exiting employees by actually talking to them, stop being so stingy with tickets to big events (eg. Summer Pool Party).

You have extremely high turnover (a recruiter even told me that once), maybe you should work to fix that because it'll improve the quality of your product.

8. "Bitter Sweet"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, hard working, willing to help, great flexability

Cons

Dying industry, and the company has crippling debt

"Good people, flawed leadership"

Current Employee - IT Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, upbeat folks, who are really devoted to delivering the best possible product.

Cons

Opaque leadership, who refused to share a game plan for getting the company on the right side of the debt ledger.

Advice to Management

Trust smart people on your team to be responsive to real calls to action. Don't pay lip service to an obviously broken business model. Repair it, and sell a new vision to the rank and file.

10. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at iHeartMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic media company that offers a lot of different assets to sell

Cons

Maybe too large to get things accomplished internally

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

Showing 325 of 1,185 reviews