iHerb Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Reza Faraee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work environment is really faced paced which keeps it innovative and challenging in a good way (in 11 reviews)

• Good work environment, good benefits, Good salary (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some bad apples in upper management (in 5 reviews)

• No cons , unless you are the one who is messing with work (in 3 reviews)

1. "The Best Company I have worked for Till Now(Lifetime 5)"

Current Employee - Marketing in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back and supportive company culture.
    Everyone is very nice and professional in the company.
    Company builds in house team for every department, I felt company is very resourceful and well organized in talent pool and departments you want to seek help from.
    Great marketing head who is open minded and patient,
    CEO and CTO are nice people and down to earth, easy to reach out to.
    Great working environment with both hardware and software!
    The best HR department I have ever encountered, they have sophisticated recruiting and training process for new hires.

Cons

We are number 1 in global health product e-commerce business in terms of rev and online traffic, so team might lack some motivation to work like a startup. however team is doing good job but can do better.

Advice to Management

I will advice more after knowing more about the company, not sure about the career oppo and senior management thoroughly yet.

Jul 5, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Welcome aboard!!! We are certainly delighted to have you on the team. It’s fantastic to hear that the great care and effort the Recruitment team makes towards the overall Candidate Experience, is... More

"IT Operations Management Issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are intelligent, quick thinkers, for those that decide to stick around.

Cons

IT Operations lacks technical leadership. Management believes that if you are not running around like your hair is on fire you must not be working. Management is quick to show you the door, despite their inability to lead by example. It's unfortunate the culture they brew creates a stressful situation for all. Management loves to hire those early in their careers or those they refer to as juniors because they know no different. It is widely known that IT management is known as the fantastic 4; they are related to the owner who by all accounts seems like a humble and generous owner.

Advice to Management

Enough said

Jul 14, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

It is certainly disappointing to hear that you do not join the hundreds of jubilant past and current employees of iHerb. It is pertinent in a candidates search for a prospective employer, that one... More

3. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Super comfortable office with tons of healthy snacks and drinks
    - On-site gym with a trainer that comes in twice a week after work and yoga classss twice a week
    - Smart and easy-going coworkers makes for a very productive work environment.
    - Team leads lead by example in both their coding ability and the way they treat the rest of the team.
    - Good benefits - health, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k and pto/fto

Cons

Only thing I can think of is better communication between teams.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, I hope you keep bringing in like-minded and talented individuals to the company!

Jul 5, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Welcome to iHerb!!!! We are delighted that you are pleased with all of the incredible perks we have here at iHerb... The deluxe free flowing snacks, beverages and yoga classes are pretty superior and... More

4. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are awesome! Great perks like onsite fitness classes and lots of snacks. The work environment is really faced paced which keeps it innovative and challenging in a good way. Management and HR seem receptive and people are always willing to help you learn. They pay really well too. Highly recommend a career at Iherb.

Cons

Some days there are a lot of meetings but it is still an awesome place. This app makes me write 20 words but that's about it!

May 8, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We are so pleased to hear that your experience at iHerb has been awesome, thus far!! The goal is definitely to provide an environment where our team members can flourish and thrive. We are delighted... More

"Development team is awesome, but IT Ops and middle management..."

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My former coworkers are fantastic! I've never been around such a smart, talented, enthusiastic, and ambitious group. They had really been there for when I needed guidance, advice, or even moral support. I had learned working here than any other company in recent memory. The Development teams are awesome.

Cons

One word: Management. Avoid working in IT Ops like the plague. Allow me to elaborate.
    These "New Feature" projects are held in much higher regard than improving internal systems to streamline the chasm between Ops and Dev. The situation that results from this mentality is that DevOps has to support an exponential number of systems without any sort of automation to help maintain it. Point-click-point-click. No one knows how it was set up because documentation is non-existent. Be ready to ask about 3 other teammates to figure out how so-and-so set it up because you'll also be held accountable for maintaining this system, in addition to your regular projects. You're expected to spontaneously understand all the systems in an arbitrary amount of time after a short meeting where the speaker presents a series of mouse clicks, completely lacking any kind of automation or integration into existing systems. (Isn't this what DevOps is about?) There's no script, you'll just have to figure it out. If you don't finish your projects because of persistent production emergencies and offer this explanation, management doesn't listen and assumes that you're not up to the task in the project.
    Get ready to be a perpetual firefighter in IT Ops. Management prefers to accept that fires in production are going to happen and that we have to deal with them, as opposed to looking for solutions to nip these issues in the bud. Additionally, you'll have to be on-call, and any work done while resolving production issues is not counted for overtime. If you are called in the middle of the night to resolve a production issue, you're expected to be in the office at the same time. As if nothing had happened. So you'll work for free, basically, with no flexibility. This is partially due to IT Ops management not setting expectations to middle management in Development as to the feasibility of new features, datacenters, or software systems they're planning on putting into production. IT Ops management just can't say no to new projects that come from upstairs that have practically immediate deadlines. Please at least delay new projects so Ops can catch up and resolve the other fires and urgent issues that have come up.
    When you start in Ops, the first thing you'll get around 70 emails before even starting on any projects. The first twenty minutes is spent sifting through these emails to filter out forest fires from simple "Thanks Yous". To management's credit, the quantity of irrelevant emails was reduced from around a hundred overnight. You'll find yourself constantly watching your inbox for emergencies that pull you away from any project you're doing. This is no way to be productive if we're expect to complete an arbitrary number of projects per week. Management expects that emails take no time to go through and that you're working on your project without interruption. In an given day, you'll spend at least an hour sifting through irrelevant emails. This issue can easily be solved through simple communication with the other departments. This shouldn't be accepted as the norm.
    Be ready for some serious favoritism in middle management. Even if something happened and you were simply doing that you were told by middle management, you'll definitely get the blame. Also, if there's an issue that needs to be addressed in terms of work performance, you'll only know by a written warning materializing on your desk with a list of issues (your complete responsibility or no) that you were never talked to about from the last 6 months. As if they are writing this all down as things happen. Even when trying to explain the situation or clear up some confusion, management won't listen as they have already heard middle management's side of the story, and that's all they need. It was your fault, just fess up to it.
    There's a reason that most of the employees in IT Ops have been there for less than 3 years and that the turnover is incredibly high. On average, one employee left the team every month. The team is only comprised of 20 members. You'll be notified via mail if they let you go, rather than actually meeting with you.
     The greatest shortcoming is management's refusal to recognize any of these as legitimate issues. If you believe anything different than they do, you simply "don't fit into their culture", no matter how separated from reality or how reputable the source of advice you are giving them.

Advice to Management

My message IT Ops and middle management: It's not constructive to look for someone to blame when things go wrong. Evolve your 2000's processes towards modern development methodologies

May 23, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

It is disappointing to hear that you were displeased with your time here as an iHerb Team Member. We will ensure that your comments and concerns are reviewed thoroughly in an effort to further review... More

"Operator"

Former Employee - Operator in Perris, CA
    Former Employee - Operator in Perris, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, very clean for a warehouse

Cons

7 day operation so expect to work one day of the weekend, management takes you for granted. It's about who you know, not what you know with them.

Advice to Management

Promote from experience and willingness to learn, not by playing favorites

May 23, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Firstly, thank you for your 5+ years of service with the iHerb Operations team. It sounds like your overall view of the company was pretty positive with the exception of a few areas. We will... More

"I could not ask for more"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome office, good benefits, smart people, great equipment and nice bosses.
    We have a huge supply of snacks and beverages, a gym in the building with yoga and bootcamp classes, a gameroom, and even an room just for bicycles.

There is little red tape, employees are empowered, decisions are made and implemented quickly. Their growth rhythm is fast, yet well controlled. And they are willing to explore new technologies.

Cons

They have an improvement suggestion box, but I can't think of anything to ask.

Advice to Management

None. But if I feel if I had one they would be open to listen.

Apr 26, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Fantastic! We truly value and appreciate our dynamic and dedicated iHerb team and want to make sure that the "perks" offered truly reflect the care and consideration we have for our iHerb team... More

8. "Department Manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

iHerb shares there vision with there employees. As a dept manager upper management counts on you to be a part of the company visions and comes up with new ideas to improve the business at hand.

Cons

latest technology for fulfillment needs to be analyzed

Advice to Management

Keep spreading the vision of the business through the employees that builds a great workplace environment where people fill fulfilled and proud to work.

Apr 26, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Excellent.....Our team members, at all levels, are an intricate part of iHerb's continued growth in addition to our monumental success thus far. We will definitely pass on the advice to the... More

9. "Human Resources Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good communication and great employee incentives. Truly care about providing the best work environment. Strong management that supports a good and positive culture. You truly feel and know your part of a team.

Cons

None at this time to share

Advice to Management

Continue to provide honest feedback and reward achievements.

May 8, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Stellar!! We are pleased that your experience so far has been a great one. Our goal is to remain transparent and diligent in our combined efforts to align all business units in the goal of creating... More

10. "Warehouse Manager"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Riverside, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Iherb is flexible to allow me to use my skills and ideas to make improvements. Team members are encouraged to speak freely and talk about concerns. The management team listens to the team and focuses on resolving issues and discusses all ideas submitted to the company. Iherb tries as much as possible to promote within and team up the experienced people with the non-experienced people to get everyone trained and help them to succeed. Iherb believes in putting people where they work the best but encourages them to work outside the box and break their comfort zone.

Cons

I have worked with the company for over a year and have not seen any down sides to working here.

Advice to Management

Provide more training for managers and leads so they can better help manage teams and individual people.

May 8, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Your feedback is truly appreciated. We sincerely aim to ensure that all employees feel valued and respected. The input and excitement for new and innovative ideas often comes from our diverse and... More