iHerb Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Reza Faraee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work environment is really faced paced which keeps it innovative and challenging in a good way (in 11 reviews)

• Good work environment, good benefits, Good salary (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some bad apples in upper management (in 5 reviews)

• So far I am happy to say I can't provide any cons as my experience has been great since the hiring process to present (in 3 reviews)

"THE WORK PLACE"

Former Employee - MOD Picker in Perris, CA
    Former Employee - MOD Picker in Perris, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have you work in just about every station in the warehouse..you get train. In the proper manner and treated with respect..

Cons

If you a new comer then youll always come acrosd acouple of co worker who refuse to give you any advice or help your first couple of days,

Advice to Management

Need to get specific people who areexstreamly trained well so they can. Train the new employers the right way.

2. "Global Logistics Specialist"

Current Employee - Global Logistics Specialist in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Global Logistics Specialist in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people.
    Company takes care of loyal employees.
    Growing Business.

Cons

Commute, depending on office location.

Feb 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased that you are enjoying your time here at iHerb and want to thank you for your dedication and hard work.

"Trust and openness goes both ways"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has really grown and literally doubled in size while I've worked here at iHerb and we aren't slowing down. I've been happy to grow with the company and feel satisfied that the outlook is promising.

Cons

Overall there aren't any major cons in my personal work experience here, but we need to work on our team culture.

Advice to Management

This isn't a con to my work experience here, but I did want to chime in regarding the "open door policy" that has been mentioned several times.

Yes, we all know that the policy is "open doors", but you can't just state it as a policy, you have to lead by example from the very top.

My advice to management is that trust and openness goes both ways.

If you want a culture where employees to come in share their thoughts to team leads, you have to create the culture and environment of trust where we feel safe to do so.

To start, during new hire on-boarding, actually show a picture of the CEO and owner of the company. I understand that he desires privacy, but it is really weird to show us the leading team, but have a blank spot of the CEO! It's kind of like the mysterious 'James Bond' boss who-shall-not-be seen. No offense, I see his generosity and he has done some amazing things. It's just weird and it also affects the culture of transparency and openness!

This also goes to the CTO. Since working here I've never interacted with the CTO, nor heard his input on any technical direction of the company's platform. Openness, culture, and team relationships all starts from communication from the top! The company has grown so amazingly, so I don't doubt his technical abilities, but don't just lead the directors under you, please lead the team!

This pattern of leadership does affect how other team members below you lead. You set the atmosphere and pattern that others will follow. I've even seen that now the pattern for directors under the CTO, don't want to discuss matters with individual developers on the team because it has now been delegated to the individual team leads.

So, okay. We see that we have "open doors" with our team leads, but overall it feels like as individual team members, we are just being filtered through the hierarchy chain.

Let's all move towards a more open and transparent culture, and I think team members will feel more open and comfortable to share their thoughts and concerns.

"IT Operations"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- on site gym
    - free snacks
    - nice facilities

Cons

- IT Management. Overall the entire IT management from top to bottom are useless. The CEO should be concern the amount of people that leaves IT on the regular basis. If this is not a concern , well then it is expected by CEO as well, how engineers, developers, etc are treated by IT management.

Advice to Management

find qualify management, your managers and specially your CTO are useless.

Hello,

iHerb has an extremely low turnover rate and management values the relationships they build with their team-members. It sounds like our management style was not an environment that was... More

"Overall good benefits, but FTO is hard to negotiate"

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The direct team is fun to work with and smart. There are free snacks with a full on site gym, yoga, fitness classes. iHerb is really growing quickly and overall there is good outlook on the company.

Cons

The con is FTO which is uncomfortable to use. During hiring unlimited FTO seemed very nice instead of accrued PTO. But in reality the FTO is hard to use and when requesting leave we are reminded that leave requests should add to two weeks (but we actually get less official holiday to start with because we are supposed to use the unlimited FTO for the holidays that are important to each employee and actually there is no official sick days mentioned so this is also all counted to the two weeks?) PTO systems is clearer and better for employees since we can feel comfortable using sick days, the earned PTO is the employee's right, or be paid out for unused PTO. FTO system is more uncomfortable to employees because managers seem happier when less FTO is requested, but then we don't get compensated for any unused leave.

"Cultural Division and Preference"

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits. iHerb generally pays above average in the Orange County market.

Cons

An uncomfortable issue at iHerb is there is no sense of unity in the company culture. iHerb is privately Persian owned and the culture at iHerb is the core Persian group mainly interact with their own group and often speak in Farsi to each other. Perhaps there is a familiarity in speaking in their mother tongue but the facts are: 1) There is a core Persian group, 2) They often speak in their own language, 3) Having a core group in a company speaking in a different language will exclude other members of the team.

Another issue this causes in the culture at iHerb is the obvious allowances that the core Persian group have which other employees do not have. One of the main allowances is in flexibility of work hours. There have been reminders from management that breaks and lunch hours should be carefully watched, and employees are required to be at their desks 8 hours. (iHerb is NOT a "flexible hours, as long as your projects get finished" work culture, which is a common work culture in other companies.) However, the Persian team members aren't held to this same strict standard for work hours.

The culture and perception that these behaviors have created at iHerb is that the Persians are the 'inside group', and everyone else are just employees. What I'm addressing is that the first step to improving a situation is to acknowledge it. Denying that this culture issue exists only hurts the company more by ignoring the cultural gap of those excluded.

Feb 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for leaving feedback and we are delighted you are enjoying our health benefits and other amenities we offer. iHerb likes to pride itself on being a diverse company, and even though we... More

"Terrible developer experience"

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office is in a nice location. Team members are hardworking and helpful. Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

iHerb has benefits to look like a cool software company like a on-site gym, free snacks and drinks, arcade room, yoga classes. But on the day to day iHerb is basically like a traditional privately owned company where the development teams is treated like a expense and management keeps on cutting costs from development teams. In my past experience in real software companies the development team and team members is treated like an asset and management will aim to grow and develop the team and team members.

iHerb is a ecommerce company and I expected we would get latest equipment and laptops but developers are given really cheap Latitude i5 machines to work with. This is the most basic laptop I have used from any work computer and is literally a huge brick. After talking to older team members I learned it is because management wanted to reduce computers costs and these were cheaper than the previous i7 machines.... I can believe that! For a ecommerce company it is a surprise to not be provided the proper tools to support our job!

Recently all the QA teams were also let go and instead developers were told to do our own QA since we are actually the ones building the features. This is probably another attempt to cut more costs.... but no additional resources, initiative or time was provided to us to set up automated testing or testing plans, but just telling us to not have bugs in code. This is not a replacement for getting rid of QA teams! During recent performance review times, many team members even had negative marks on "quality of work" since more bugs were reaching production.

It would also be nice to have support and initiative from management and team leads to send developers to conferences and trainings for career growth. Instead developers need to write in and explain exactly why a conference or training is necessary and directly related to the job role but again the atmosphere is that we are causing more cost to the company. Everything needs to be requested. It just is the wrong mentality and culture of a software company.

Product development process is also very broken. During the hiring process managers shared proudly that they are 'agile'. But the company is actually privately owned, and so many 'special' projects will come directly from the CEO and will be 'top priority' which must be immediately worked on. Developers are just assigned tasks and expected to build features because the CEO wants it, even if many times the whole team knows the feature does not make sense, but it must be built because the CEO wants it! Because of this there is no feeling of personal ownership of any projects. In other companies, team leaders will explain the business purpose a feature is supposed to solve, and then the team will work together to solve the problem. At iHerb we just receive a task with designs from a designer. We are even told to start development even though the CEO is still making decisions on core functionality. I think this is iHerb's meaning of agile. Many times the development process is so agile that we will finish development and publish the feature for only a few hours and the CEO will change their mind and tell the team to change the feature back. It is hard for the team to have a sense of ownership in the work because we know it is very easy for our work to be thrown away. I can understand if there are some metrics to say the feature is not performing as expected, but the CEO's decisions are not made from metrics. It is just whether the CEO will suddenly decide he doesn't like the feature anymore.

Feb 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for leaving a review we appreciate your open and honest feedback. Reading this review is somewhat of a shock as management has an open door policy and this is the first we are hearing of... More

"The truth about iHerb"

I have been working at iHerb full-time

Pros

iHerb is a great place to work. People are smart, creative, and hard-working. Politics are minimal and I can't even name one problem personality. The company is growing like a weed, which means that there are lots of opportunities to increase your level of responsibility if you want to rise to the occasion. Management does have an open-door policy and it's great. People here are very accessible, and the organization is very flat. I really enjoy coming to work because of the people, and the challenges.

Cons

I'd like to address one of the cons that other reviewers mention. Some people seem uncomfortable that there is a nucleus of Persian people in management. This company was founded by a (brilliant, kind) Persian man, and four of his first employees who have worked with him forever are Persian. Newer managers, including directors, are any race at all. There is no racisim or preference here that I can detect. Sometimes people speak Farsi, but I assume it is because they learned their technology in that language, and are most comfortable speaking it. It never makes me uncomfortable because if they need to share information, they will. Farsi here is not really that common. It is not a closed culture. They are very meritocratic and promote the best people. It's just coincidence that two of the most brilliant developers here are Persian. One is a woman. Two are other races. It does not matter.

If I worked for a French company, I would expect some of the earlier managers to be French. It's the same way here.

iHerb is fast paced and if you are good, and work hard, you will succeed here. If you want to coast, it probably won't work out very well.

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very diverse and supportive team
    -Empowerment allows you to really help customer and address all their issues
    - Great starting point for your career in Iherb.
    - New director is incredible. Your concerns will be heard. He creates exciting environment and he is very accessible, that's what middle management in other departments is lacking.
    - Management in this team is the best. They're very professional. If you have any questions they'll go extra mile to answer them.
    - Team members are treating each other with respect and always ready to help, it creates very friendly atmosphere. It's more about finding solutions and facing problems than looking for someone to blame.
    -Loyalty to the department and to the company is unbeatable.
    -Our CEO is the best!

Cons

None I can think of right now

Advice to Management

Please keep it up! And try to listen to your employees (like customer service mgmt is doing).

Oct 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

We are elated that your experience at iHerb has been great so far. If you can think of anything that we can do to further improve your work experience please let us know.

"Friendly work atmosphere, great CEO"

I worked at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work atmosphere. Great CEO who takes care of his employees.

Cons

Work environment in the warehouse could be a little tough sometimes.