iHerb Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Reza Faraee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Smart and easy-going coworkers makes for a very productive work environment" (in 11 reviews)

• "Company is growing at a rapid pace opens opportunity for growth" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management had no idea where they wanted the direction of the company to go" (in 5 reviews)

• "No work life balance due to unrealistic deadlines and lack of human resources" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love working with everyone at iHerb!

Cons

All positive input - great place to work!

Advice to Management

All great!

2. "Wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced
    Free fruit
    Great people
    Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Location in the inland empire

Jul 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at iHerb, thus far. It's a pleasure to see that you enjoy the extraordinary people and the advancement opportunities that we are so very... More

3. "Wonderful Fast Paced Working Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding benefits are provided to all employees. Great working culture with a team oriented mindset.

Cons

Not enough fruit variety with the fruit provided to employees.

Jul 16, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted that you enjoy the culture! We will continue to provide as much fruit variety as possible and look forward to your continued... More

4. "Great culture and diversity"

Current Employee - Administrative in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love that I am able to establish relationships with team members from different backgrounds and cultures that I normally would not have a chance to outside of work.

There is flexibility in my schedule and as long as I get my work done and work my normal shift hours my manager is flexible.

Cons

I can't say I have any as I have an awesome manager and work in a great team where there is great communication.

Jul 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback!!! Diversity is really important to iHerb and is one of our leading Core Values. We are pleased to hear that the "flexibility" provided by both the company and your... More

5. "The best company I've ever worked in"

I have been working at iHerb full-time

Pros

Good atmosphere
    Professionals
    Coworkers and management every time ready to help

Cons

I like everything and do not have any cons

Jul 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Stellar!!! We truly appreciate your positive attitude and will let the teams know how pleased you are to be an iHerb team member.

6. "Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative in Perris, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and the people

Cons

Not be able to share my ideas as much as I would like.

Advice to Management

Listen to ALL the employees

Jul 12, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you are as much a fan as we are about the awesome people here at iHerb. We will ensure to pass your feedback along to the Management team... More

"Can be amazing for some people, horrible for others."

Former Employee - Software Developer II in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer II in Irvine, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Financially strong company due to business growth
    - Free snack/gym
    - The best place to learn politics

Cons

It’s not a place to learn and develop your skills and grow in your career;
    It's the best place there is, the place there was, and the best there ever will be to improve your politic skills.

There seems to be a classic high school "cool kids" group with all the classic negative attributes.
    I witnessed markedly bad behavior from the managements far too often. Not much in the way of Leadership or communication.

No work life balance due to unrealistic deadlines and lack of human resources. One myth is it's easy to see candidates who are there for job interviews, but no one comes to join teams around you. Even iHerb doubled referral bonus, most people do not refer their acquaintance. All the good one around suddenly disappear from your site.

Do not be blined by the lure of unlimited FTO. That is an illusion; it only happens to a few people who have nepotism advantages.

Compensation and benefits are average or below average. No annual bonus. Profit sharing exists, but really small. They only cover 75% of your health and dental insurance. If you are not being paid as much as the number posted on Glassdoor, you are underpaid.

The culture is very confusing. During the interview process, the culture was presented as warm and inviting, but that seems to be more of an aspiration than a reality.

- Can’t do your work with freedom
     - Team politics
     - Nepotism and Favoritism: the best place for Iranians
     - People who throw others under the bus and take credit for other people's work get promoted
     - Promotions are not transparent
     - Fewer holidays compared to others: only 6 days
     - A shortcut path to stressed out

Due to these nagatives metioned here, lots of employees turnover.

Advice to Management

- The negative information about iHerb posted on Glassdoor is true, but not positive ones.
    - Stop making people post fake 5 star reviews

Aug 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Hello and we are sorry to see you did not have the best experience here at iHerb. As a former employee we will be sure to take your feedback to the management team and express your concerns. We... More

"Retain your employees"

I worked at iHerb full-time

Pros

Some great people pushing for new ideas
    Pay is great

Cons

Politics and Favoritism - very clique employees running the show
    Slow to adapt to change in the industry

Advice to Management

Work on employee moral and career advances. Modify awful company culture

"No support for career growth"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee. On site gym.

Cons

iHerb's organization structure is ridiculously layered and unclear such that there is no way for team members to figure out how to get their voices heard. What's more frustrating is that department directors don't care about supporting the team. Forget whatever you read about iHerb having an "open door policy". The only "open door policy" we've witnessed is the open door for you to be fired if you speak up. There are multiple team members who didn't show up to work one day, until HR sends out an email: "so and so no longer works here".

There have been multiple "reorganizations" and team members are constantly passed between managers and directors. The issue is that there is no transition between managers to share an individual's contributions, and it's very common for team member's to be overlooked for promotion. Promotions are denied because the new manager "wants more time to see the contributions of the team member". Unfortunately, reorganizations happen so often that by the time the next promotion period is due, a new manager is again assigned. Team members have brought this issue to directors, but the response is always: "I don't deal with this, talk to your manager". Great...

Unfortunately managers are also not bothered with understanding or meeting with team members. It's common for managers to keep rescheduling 1 on 1 meetings because of "scheduling conflicts". Even if meetings are schedule weeks in advance, "scheduling conflicts" keep coming up, aka. managers just schedule on top of the existing 1 on 1 meetings. Clearly team members are not a priority and managers feel that our time can just be pushed back.

There is also no processes to guide your career development and guide career growth, nor for evaluation during review periods. Instead, each manager grades to their own subjective rubric. Instead of evaluating a team member's performance and contributions according to their level and growth, managers measure performance on a bell curve in relation to the other members on your team. This means that Software Developer I team members are even graded in relation to Senior Software Developer II. Junior team members then end up with negative "Needs improvement. Doesn't perform on par with ____ team member" review marks because the manager doesn't see them performing at the same level as the senior developers on the team.

Unless you're a senior developer, do not make the mistake of joining this company. You'll end up stuck in a demoralizing musical chairs cycle being passed from manager to manager.

Aug 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for letting us know your concerns about working at iHerb, it seems that you are passionate about your work and we love that about our employees. If you have any concerns about promotions... More

"No flexible working hours"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fancy coffee and drink machines.

Cons

Management at iHerb is old school and overly corporate for such a small company.

There are international projects and obviously, having international work means there are time zone differences. It's required to stay late in the office to make sure requirements and development issues are addressed to allow for seamless hand-off for the international team's day. The problem is there is a hard requirement for all employees to be in the office at 9am, or there will be repercussions during performance reviews, but although regular hours are until 6pm, international work means regularly having to stay much later in the night.

It would be expected that management would understand that there should be some work life balance and flexibility in hours to allow the obvious schedule change for a later start in the morning to have a flexible work schedule, as long as the work gets done.

This is not the case at iHerb. Management's stance is that "This could set a bad precedent and would encourage employees to start coming in tardy."

"Work life balance" and flexible hours is nonexistent here.

Aug 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for feedback as we grow internationally there is going to be a learning curve of how to appropriately work cross functionally amongst different time zones. We are already taking into... More