iMapData Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 3, 2017

3.6
Laurence J. DeFranco

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to intern"

Former Intern - Research Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at iMapData as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

*Friendly co-workers
    *Interns never have too much or too little to do
    *Easy to extend internship term
    *Some interns get hired directly by the company
    *Lunch and Learns

Cons

*Minimal pay
    *Work assigned to interns is different (much less interesting) than work assigned to full-time entry-level employees

Advice to Management

This is a pretty standard internship, but you can go above and beyond by adding a greater focus on coaching.

2. "Analyst"

Pros

Good environment for people just out of college to get corporate experience

Cons

Below market average pay for work scope

3. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at iMapData as an intern

Pros

Lunch and learns helped interns learn a little more about how the whole company functioned, besides just doing data maintenance.

Cons

At the time it didn't seem like there was much of a route for promotions within the company for the current employees.

"Incident Analyst - Good entry level position"

Pros

Job pace is nice and stress free generally.
    Great if you enjoy keeping up with current events and international politics

Cons

Work can be somewhat boring since there is no creative input

5. "Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Database Developer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at iMapData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is absolutely fantastic, and the tech is a dream to work on. As a developer or a database developer, you can grow and stretch your skills.

Cons

Managers will advertise a position as one thing and switch it to something totally different. They'll hold you responsible for things not under your control (the time it took for a clearance to pass). They'll promise things to clients that you never said you could do and are not in your skill set, and hold you responsible even though they never told you they promised this. They'll bait and switch with what your position entails, then when you complain, shrug and say "sorry, but I wasn't there for your interview". All in all, the company is not honest.

Advice to Management

Work on honesty about what a position entails. Communicate with each other. Do not let Sales and Marketing have supervision over software and database developers.

6. "Great Summer Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at iMapData as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

iMapData offered me a great experience- the weekly lunch and learns, the modern, open work space, and the awesome internship director- just to name a few perks. The training we received was quite valuable, and I think we were ready to take on even more than they gave us. Overall, I really appreciated how much I learned and that I had the opportunity to be involved in projects across different fields.

Cons

In some of my projects, I did not get much feedback other than "great job- thanks!"; perhaps I should've asked for more mentorship. In addition, I think the description for the "data research projects" was misleading. There was NO analysis involved- they were just "grunt work" data updates. However, in this process, I still learned some tech (SQL) and research skills.

Advice to Management

Please keep encouraging use of the ping pong table! I really enjoyed having that as I got to know the other interns and some full time employees.

7. "Challenging Projects, Creative Environment"

I have been working at iMapData full-time

Pros

I enjoy challenging work in a creative environment, and I believe iMAPDATA encourages me to succeed. I like the open work space. We have a great selection of free snacks and beverages, treadmills and a ping pong table, with areas set aside for small group work or conversations. We also have large monitors throughout the office attuned to the latest news and information channels.

Cons

Communication with management has improved recently, but it could be better. That’s not uncommon in companies, big or small. I would like more input into determining how a project is completed.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communication with employees.

"Some nice perks, with the occasional middle finger from management"

I have been working at iMapData full-time

Pros

The salary is competitive in a good way. Free snacks, soda, coffee, and tea. The flagship software is undergoing architecture changes that will bring it in line with leading big data applications and provides tremendous learning opportunity for software developers looking to broaden their skill sets. The team itself is helpful and easy to get along with.

Cons

The company is coming out of a stressful time that saw the departure of several key employees, some of whom were a big part of why I joined the company in the first place. The software development department was actually part of marketing until recently, which led to many instances of marketing making promises that could not be delivered without listening to input from the software department. However, recent reorganizations have eliminated this conflict. When someone is fired or let go, the company does it in the sneakiest way possible to avoid even allowing them to say "goodbye". The office is done in some modern style that looks like the construction crew quit in the middle of the job.

Advice to Management

You've done some good things to make employees feel wanted, like the free food and the Starbucks gift cards. However, there's no need to treat people so harshly on the way out of the door. And we find it disturbing when someone is around one day, but absent without word the next... and the next... and the next. Frankly, it's demoralizing and says to us, "We don't really need you".

"Rewarding intern experience, was able to work on many innovative projects"

Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at iMapData as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to get involved in several innovative projects. Project leaders, and intern coordinator, were very good! Upper management were avaiable and very friendly. Intern porgram included weekly lunch meetings to have representatives from all elements of the company speak about what they do.

Cons

There is a noticeable lack of office culture, some projects can be very tedious as they require manual data entry.

Advice to Management

While iMapData is a small/medium company it can feel much larger- find ways for employees to get to know each other.

"UI Designer"

Former Employee - UI Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - UI Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at iMapData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office space, challenging work, great development team, nice folks and open minded usually, ping-pong table and free snacks

Cons

In the process of big stressful changes. Be prepared to work hard and cover multiple projects many times. Relies too much on government contracts, restricting some web technology

Advice to Management

Need a proper design process, and time and money for all of that. Designer can't just be given work that's finished by a developer. The design get needs to be making decisions before anything is made with wireframes, mockups, etc.