iMatrix (California) Internet Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2016

Internet Consultant

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Brisco

Pros
  • People were very nice and is a great stepping stone for other jobs (in 3 reviews)

• The bulk of the workers here are very young, which contributes to fun company culture (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, loud environment, a lot of company gossip (in 7 reviews)

• Really terrible commission structure (in 5 reviews)

"This Company is Really Great!"

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

Pros

The people at this company are a unique and great. I learned so much during my time at Imatrix that has carried over to not just my professional career but also my personal life. If you work hard you will do well at this company. It is a very competitive environment but everyone wants to see you succeed. Everyone has your back. The office has a work hard play hard culture is a significant reason why this company culture is great. The management cares about your personal and professional growth.

Cons

It is a hard job to work in sales and can be a grind at times. This is not a job that is meant for everyone and a lot of people can't cut it in sales. If you do not like to work hard this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pouring into your employees and investing in them. It pays off and it is incredible to see how the company has grown during my time there.

"Take It or Leave It"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was the first full-time (and sales) job I ever had. The two individuals who trained me were both hard workers, great listeners, and competent leaders who knew sales inside and out. They gave me a solid foundation for my future sales jobs. How they ended up at iMatrix is beyond me, but their advice has served me well. I loved using the in-house gym before it was shut down.

Cons

If you've been reading the negative reviews, thinking they're all written by a bunch of entitled millennials with no work ethic, I urge you to ask yourself, "Why would a company like iMatrix even hire them?" If they reached out to you, have you just graduated college? Were you a student-athlete? Do you live in PB and love getting drunk on the weekends? Do you remember the iMatrix group interview? Did you notice that no one there looked a day over 30? This is the kind of people they want; Young, dumb, and hungry.

The bottom line is that if you're a SERIOUS sales professional with years of experience who's used to large commissions, you are NOT what iMatrix seeks. While they might argue that this is all part of "keeping the company culture young", let's call a spade a spade: They don't want real sales professionals here. They're too expensive.

By far the worst experience I had was during a company Padres game. Someone from the company got intoxicated and behaved VERY inappropriately with me (I later learned he was fired for being too hungover to go to a trade show). I should have reported it to HR, but I didn't. Now, I'm not one of those easily-triggered feminist or anything like that, but I say this to highlight how iMatrix is willing to sweep a lot of things under the rug so long as you make the company money. You're only as good as your numbers, even if your conduct leaves a lot to be desired. Glassdoor wouldn't even let me post this review had I mentioned the other things I witnessed.

Lastly, if you're thinking "Awesome! This is one of those cut-throat, boiler-room, Wolf-on-Wall-St. environments where the pay is massive", think again. Compensation is peanuts compared to what you could be making elsewhere. If you're just excited to work for a tech company in the "Silicon Valley of San Diego", there are other companies besides iMatrix you could lend your skills to, AND make more money.

Advice to Management

Give Customer Support more support. The people on the first floor are doing most of the heavy lifting. As for sales, I doubt they're going to make changes to that anytime soon. Why would they? Having a high turnover is cheaper than searching for good salespeople.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hours, mostly great people to work with, opportunity to travel domestically IF they like you and you meet your goals. If you travel consistently, you have the opportunity to make okay money.

Cons

Great sales opportunity if you're looking for inconsistent management, favoritism, and a less than mediocre hourly. Feels like "adult daycare," micromanagement, ping pong and arts and crafts at its finest. Benefits are whatever.

Advice to Management

Reward and praise all your employees like they're paying your bills...because they actually are.

"The Good, the Bad & the Ugly of working sales at iMatrix"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales at iMatrix is a job that grants a good opportunity for some but can be a struggling prospect for many. Due to the initial pay, my preference for outside sales and the fact I grew bored of my day to day activities, this opportunity wasn’t a match for me but could be for someone else.

First let me give a summary of what the position is like. When you walk-in on day one you are placed into a 4 week training period. The training period is actually a great learning experience despite the trainer being a very moody instructor. You learn a lot about digital marketing and the expectations of your job. After training you are a level 1 sales person. If you hit your quota two times you move to level 2 and if you exceed your quota 3 times you are at level three. At level 1, all leads and prospecting must be done on your own through cold calls, at level 2 you are working with a blend of your own leads and some warm leads, and at level 3 you are first in line for warm leads tradeshow opportunities, and appointment setter leads.

THE GOOD: If you don’t mind cold calling, being a new sales rep is not a bad gig. Your expectation is to make about 75 to 100 calls a day. The company has a young vibe to it; there is a nice beak room and often fun company events.

Cons

THE BAD: By nature the job is pretty repetitive and this can be bad for some. In order to succeed at level 1 it is a numbers game of calls made that you have to play. Though when you first start, the calls you are making are a new experience for you but most of those you are calling have heard from someone at iMatrix recently. This can make it a tough experience early on.
    THE UGLY: For new reps the salary and commission structure is pretty tough to make a living off of if you are solely supporting yourself. You are told in training about great earning potential but you’ll find that the discounts you are trained to provide to incentivize clients to buy cut into that very commission. Also after working for awhile, being a level 1 consultant can be very tough on morale. Some days you will come into work, bust your butt and get little to no bites for sales. Then you look over to your left and a higher level sales rep that has been chillin gets two incoming leads that net sales for him/her. Most level 3 reps (not all), barely make a cold call. What truly hurts about this is that all reps, no matter what level, are evaluated and paid off the same commission system. So for example if you worked your butt off in a month (100 calls a day) and made 4 that month, it’s a normal thing to see another rep that made little to no outgoing calls but receives incoming leads and tradeshow opportunities and finishes the month with 15 deals. That same rep will have a commission check 3 to 4 times greater than yours. On top of that, there are many perks senior reps get for “performance” that even if you worked hard, you likely won’t get due to the quality of leads they have over you. Unfortunately this structure breeds an unspoken culture of favoritism and inequality. Those at the top get the best opportunities & perks and those at the bottom make the best of the cold leads/opportunities.

Advice to Management

SUGGESTION TO MANAGEMENT: I would mainly suggest that the company consider restructuring how they establish their teams. Instead of organizing the sales staff by product line (vet, chiro & vision), I would suggest to organize the sales staff by seniority. Have all the level 1s sit together, all the level 2s sit together and all the level 3s sit together. Sitting by peers who are in a similar situation can motivate you instead of the discouragement many get from watching their senior reps next to them. In addition to that offer perks & bonuses for more than one measure of performance to engage the 1st & 2nd levels of sales personnel. Examples of some could be regular monthly bonuses for high average call per day, average daily talk time, most appointment sets (cold calling), highest appointment show rate, etc. If these were a part of normal pay for entry level employees, I believe you would retain more employees.

"Great place to learn sales"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to learn how to become successful in sales. There is a great team environment that helps push you to be the best you can be. There is great training weekly that helps you learn the sales skills you need to succeed.

Cons

Cold calling a lot when you start but mainly to start building a pipeline of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Try to compensate senior employers better based off of their performance.

"Internet Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I was at iMatrix the sales department was broken in up into various verticals (markets), with a manager for each one, with leads under them, and new/developing ICs on each of their teams. This setup was both a pro and a con for people, I was lucky enough to have a lead who was very invested in each team member, setup weekly/biweekly one on ones to talk about growth, hurdles, areas of improvement, commend us on our success, etc. However, one of my close friends had a team lead who when he wasn't demeaning and condescending, was basically MIA and only in it for the pay raise and bonus he got if people on his team made sales. So it really is a hit or miss, and if it's a miss, good luck getting any guidance.

Because of this setup at the company if you do well in sales, and enjoy it, there is definitely room for growth within the company. I've seen some sales reps making over 100k easy on commission, granted they were naturals and had a drive and passion for sales that most people do not. However, if you ARE one of those people the company will probably invest in you and shower you with bonuses/perks in the form of gift cards, movie tickets, trade show trips, etc.

Cons

Keep in mind I only worked here as an Internet Consultant (basically an SDR) for about 6 months in 2014-2015, but honestly in comparison to the amount of people I saw come and go while I was there, I would say that's actually a pretty long run. Only speaking for the sales side, the company basically churns in and out recent grads with no professional experience every few weeks. Literally, they have these "vision" meetings EVERY week where they'd herd in a room full of potentials and show them the "dream" and from each lot a select few moved on to interviews and then maybe one or two would make it past that (so they make you feel pretty special/wanted), but remember this happens EVERY week.

If you aren't successful/they no longer see potential in you in sales, good luck getting past your third month. Upper management only cares about making their numbers, so if you aren't contributing to that, you basically mean nothing to them. But it's been a long time since I worked at iMatrix, and from my friends that were still with the company awhile after I left, I heard a LOT of changes were made in management/structure, so who knows, the current situation could be completely different.

Advice to Management

Invest more in developing your employees, churning recent grads in and out is a waste of resources. Slow down, we get it, the company is growing like crazy, but if you keep investing all your money and resources into sales and not the places you need more help, like support, it won't be long before clients realize iMatrix is just a subpar product with an amazing sales pitch.

Apr 12, 2016 – Marketing Content Writer

Thank you for your honest feedback on the iMatrix Sales Team. It is no secret that a good leader can make or break an employee’s experience with a company. In your situation I am glad that you had ... More

"Field of Broken Dreams"

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So few that it is painful - there is a true concerted effort to be highly misleading when hireing new employees. Ie. "were always growing" when in fact the turn over rate is so high there is a constant need for new employees, . Also please know they create "Fake reviews" of 5 stars often and this has been pointed out by many other previous posts as well - or "get paid to leave reviews" this company has a terrible employee satisfaction on here already - and that itself is artificially heightened.

Cons

First off, if you have chosen to read this, as a prospective employee please RUN to the exit, do not walk. If this seems strange, please read through the 40+ 1star reviews on this site alone that i can assure you are here for a reason, and most importantly they are NOT (And have not been) addressed in the work place (social media such as this may be the only exception). I have called my post "Field of Broken Dreams" for a very real reason - this company engages in such unacceptable, hostile, and unprofessional work environments and practices that i feel compelled to tell you about the and urge you to find other work. And it all starts when (and how) they recruit you - Yes chances are they have reached out to you, for you to work here - as no sane person generally applies here on there own. It always seems flattering to have a company seek you out, but trust me there is a distinctive reason why, they have the highest turn-over rate i have ever witnessed. They will tell you "we are growing so fast" no they arent, just a massive turn over. Example my specific sales department had 14 people in it - in 6months JUST 6 months - 13 people had quit or been fired(4-5 have been there appx a year) while a huge number of employees cycle through after being taken advantage of. That means a almost 100% turn over in my department in just 6months. That should hopefully be informative enough but here are the most common reasons to leave - besides the atrocious pay - a toxic work place where gossip is rampant - and the closest thing i have ever witnessed to an illegal work environment in terms of OUTRAGEOUS differences in how certain employees are treated. Examples of this differing treatment include extended lunch for some employees (2hours or more sometimes) while others are left in the office and chastised to work harder and "make more calls". while worse some employees are flown to trade shows to meet clients in person, receive inbound phone leads, email leads, and new business leads, while other employees of the exact SAME title and level receive NO leads of any kind. They will tell you this is a performance based incentive, and that certain criteria are needed to be able to qualify for leads. Except this is not the case - in too many cases to count favoritism runs rampant. This got to the point where a mass exodus of almost a dozen employees in a single week walked off the job due to excessive mistreatment. to be clear this is a sales company in the worst sense- they encourage you to sell products to clients they do not need or would benifit from all the while selling you the employee on how thankful you should be to work long hours, for appx $1.50 over minimum wage and the illusion of commission - which changes every few months - and never for the better. Honestly this is systematic and the management is lazy, incompetent, and worse all - callous - in that they forget these are peoples LIVES. People quit good jobs, try to support loved ones and families, and put life on hold for a company that seems intent on extorting all useable work from them untill they quit on there own or are fired to make room for a cheap new eager replacement such as yourself. Dont be a replacement. Dont work at iMatirx. You are better than here, and better than being taken advantage of. Do yourself some help, Read some more reviews if you think im just disgruntled and then go find yourself a job you can rely on.

Advice to Management

Quit - i know that sounds harsh but systematic "inbreeding" is destroying this company from the inside out. You promote managers who are good sales people or perform well - NOT whom are leaders or have any management experience whatsoever. They subsequently favor there friends and have no real business being in management or having control over others lives. And spend more time in the office trying to improve 150 people's lives rather than surfing for the internet for negative online reviews and giving hollow weak responses to peoples true concerns.

Apr 11, 2016 – Marketing Content Writer

I apologize you did not have a positive experience with us. At iMatrix, we value our employee’s opinions and make a concerted effort to understand problems we may have and address them where we can ... More

"Internet Consultant"

Current Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun atmosphere, competitive, valuable sales experience if you put in the work

Cons

not a lot of room to grow, owned by parent company so change is slow

"Internet Consultant"

Current Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with IMatrix for about a year and a half. I moved here from the east coast and didn't know anyone. I had just graduated college and IMatrix has been more than I could have ever imagined as a first job. People can say what they want but at the end of the day if you work hard, like you have to do in any job where your successful, then you too will be successful here. The new people that people talk about who "last 3 months" are people who come in and think they don't need to put in 100% and that they will get by doing the bare minimum and socializing all day. Yes, the environment is laid back and that is one of the best aspects of this job but when your still new you have to accept that there is a lot to learn and you need to spend more time learning than taking advantage of the environment. Like any job there's some things I don't agree with, but that will happen anywhere. Overall this is a great job and if you apply yourself, especially in the beginning, you will be successful. This company will pave a road for you that becomes easier with each step you take if you show that you deserve it. I really do appreciate all this company has done for me and how they have helped me grow as a professional. You also have an ability to make a really nice paycheck. It's a sales job so if you want to put in the time you will see it in your paycheck and overall be really happy here. Also use your resources here, the other ICs and management want you to do well here so don't be afraid to ask them for help. Also everyone downstairs is helpful too and they don't hate sales, just respect what they do and make sure you communicate with them to make there job just as successful. This is a company that will listen to your suggestions, if you are not happy about something then let them know.

Cons

I do wish they kept the gym. They recently changed the commission structure but I do hope that they eventually change how we are compensated.

Advice to Management

Be universal with things such as rules. Otherwise all the management here is awesome. Terry, Dave, Mary, Justin, And Dani have all motivated me and have been part of my success here.

"Over Saturated"

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING office environment - so much fun to work here, the people are great. They definitely value their employees and show it by rewarding them.

Cons

THE HIGHEST TURNOVER I HAVE EVER SEEN. They do not set their new hires up for success - if they just provided the right tools, everyone could be successful. Instead, only the veterans are successful and I have yet to see a new person last more than 5 months :(

Advice to Management

Send your employees to trade shows sooner so they can build a trust in the product and firm belief in its effectiveness.

Oct 16, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for highly valued feedback! We take pride in our training program that is specifically designed to assist our new hires. It is a 30 day training period which is led by our corporate trainer ... More