iQmetrix Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Krywulak

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager

I worked at iQmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work to gain experience have fun. You have a lot of freedom to find out how you fit in and where you can contribute the most.

Cons

iQmetrix can be a frustrating place to work if you are used to a more formal traditionally structured organisation.

2. "Great place, culture and people."

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time

Pros

Near full autonomy within team and owned projects. Good communication, no micro management. Fun internal events and on-going efforts to add more to an already great company culture. Opportunity to take on more responsibility if desired. Flexible working hours.

Cons

If public transit is not an option, parking can be expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at iQmetrix full-time

Pros

Beautiful office and a great location right on the water in Coal Harbour.

Cons

Flat management structure means there is no feature ownership.

"Not a great experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at iQmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very brilliant, humble people, excellent office space in Winnipeg, very google/twitter type environment, flexible timings depending on team.

Cons

Developer friendly, QA unfriendly environment. Or maybe it was my lead who had the EQ of a potato. A good leader/manager, irrespective or workload or stress, values their people the most.

Normal scenario in any company - they interview, they hire, they give the benefit of the doubt initially until the employee proves their worth.
    At iQ (at least by this lead) - hired, constantly doubted capability, developed almost immediately a feeling of distance/aloofness/completely unapproachable attitude/expected employee to suck up to them for months until proven that you could do anything/couldn't make proper eye contact even after a point.
    All of this ultimately led to the employee having self-doubt of his/her own capabilities, though experienced and able. It's ironic for a place that has 'Create Great Experiences' as it's motto, they had someone in a lead position who had no people skills whatsoever and like I mentioned, the EQ of a potato. Maybe a tomato, not sure.

To be fair, the lead was amazingly technically capable, just not a people person/culture enabler.

Compensation is quite low for the current IT market value. Justification that 'we are cool' and 'the location is awesome' isn't really valid in lieu of just compensating what people are worth.

Au contraire, in my current 'traditional' company, which is sorta shunned as 'uncool' by some hipster youth-types, I'm compensated *way* more than at iQ (a significant 20-25% more), given way more responsibilities and rocking them, and feel like *real* family amongst a genuine definition of community.

That said, I'd still highly recommend this company to a friend, who might be a brilliant developer and fit right in and comfortably, because the people there are still quite awesome, humble and brilliant as mentioned. And I'd advise them to take it only if they're compensated a little more that what they're worth and not just go by the looks and the initial feel of the place.

Only because I had a terrible experience doesn't make it a bad company or anything at all, I'm sure 90% of the others have had and are continuing to have great experiences, even if not compensated as well, lol.

Advice to Management

Position your mid management according to their strengths. Technical folks are a dime a dozen and can be found somehow, people who can nurture other people and bring out the best in them, are the diamonds in the rough.

It would also be good if you took a breather, not sign on way more clients than people to handle, and not overwork them and have constant fires that need to be put out as opposed to maturing a solid process over time. Yes - you want to take on the market aggressively and that's an appreciable trait for a start-up, but when there's a severe dearth of good devs in a market like Winnipeg, you'd probably need to rethink some strategies instead of burning out your resources. Yes - you can call them resources, not people, the term doesn't effin matter as long as you value them and know what they're capable of and help nurture them. It was extremely annoying that when I referred to folks as resources, they thought I was calling them maggots or something and that was always pointed out. I know their worth and value the hell of out them, so it doesn't matter a toss as to what I refer to them as, a different word doesn't change the fact that I respect and like the heck outta them as a person. Sheesh.

"Great Company"

Pros

Amazing culture, people are great to work with. Still very small company feel, private ownership is a huge plus, lots of peripheral benefits.

Cons

iQmetrix is struggling to grow past the startup culture and into new verticals. A lot of pressure exists to keep the organization flat, often to the detriment of progress.

Advice to Management

Focus on fostering a culture of performance and delivery. You can't expect to deliver top of class products and compensate where we are today. In the last few years it seems we've lost the empowerment to innovate - we need to evaluate this consensus and look at better management techniques to bring it back.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer Co-Op in Regina, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer Co-Op in Regina, SK (Canada)

Pros

Awesome place to work, everyone is super nice and helpful

Cons

Nothing that I can currently think of

8. "Fun environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at iQmetrix (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of talented and fun people here. Work life balance and culture is great. Exec team are nice and are good people.

Cons

We try to get into new market with minimum information. Many people are working on the wrong things. Less focus. It seems that we run after shiny new balls all the time.

9. "Good"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Arizona, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Arizona, MB (Canada)

Pros

not bad but it could be good

Cons

well its decent i like it

Advice to Management

Good stuff. Keep it up yes

"Very pleasant place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(Always depending on the team)
    - Teams have lots of freedom to work the way that makes them most efficient and use technologies that are best to get the job done
    - Working with latest technologies
    - Lots of social interaction, fun and games
    - Free beer
    - Very flexible work environment
    - Easy to take on responsibility and advance your career
    - Annual company trip

Cons

(Always depending on the team)
    - Pretty mediocre benefits
    - No bonuses
    - Salaries might not be in the highest percentiles.
    - The wish to advance your career has to come from you. No one will "promote" you to where they want you to be

"Terrible codebase, huge technical debt, good people"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at iQmetrix (More than a year)

Pros

People in the trenches is your only asset really.

Cons

Typical scenario: the management is not interested in investing time and resources to fix and update the monstrous codebase in a proper way, "band-aid it and don't ask questions" policy is very strong. You are likely to develop some very bad programming habits, if you're new to programming - look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Your codebase is standing on its last legs, fix it now before it's too late.