iRobot Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle
Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, and you will be rewarded for getting results regardless of the number of hours you work (in 10 reviews)

• Culture and people, great environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Looks like the core values that have been set by the company are misinterpreted by some director level employees (in 3 reviews)

• I was fortunate to be doing development on a new product, but other software interns got stuck doing support and testing work (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great people"

I worked at iRobot full-time

Pros

Brilliant coworkers, challenging work, and interesting problems on the cutting edge of consumer technology.

Cons

Somewhat slow moving for a tech company.

2. "Great Opportunity soured by a lousy boss"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, some interesting people, and projects, mostly a good environment. no funding shortages if you needed anything.

Cons

Some people were hard to be around and they made you feel like you were walking on eggshells. Workloads can be unevenly distributed as many people work much harder than others and some people mingle and don't seem to produce much of anything besides co2.
    In my situation, I was overloaded and was in need of some adjustments to my environment. I approached my so called manager to address some of these issues, I discussed things in a cogent manner. He pretended to care and faked some assistance to eat up the period until my next review when he torpedoed my performance review, where previously I was very well regarded. Shortly thereafter I resigned.

This manager has since been lowered an engineering functionary.

Advice to Management

Vette your manager more appropriately.

3. "Manager"

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture and people, great environment

Cons

Communication lacking from higher levels

Advice to Management

Better communication

5. "Sr. IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and team. The iRobot team is great to work in. Very collaborative and fun. There is always tons of work, but luckily the work is interesting and challenging! The people are grade A professionals!

Cons

Sometimes work can stack up and everything is a priority. Even though management works on this, it is still a challenge.

6. "Fun Company with Engaging Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Pros

Decent benefits and perks, flexible scheduling and work atmosphere.
    Interesting and engaging engineering work

Cons

A lot of the employees live out in the suburbs so it's convenient for them, but tough for Boston city-dwellers. They also don't seem to be very competitive with companies closer or in the city to make the commute worthwhile.
    Projects get killed unexpectedly, or worse, become a zombie project that slowly, and inevitably, dies.

Advice to Management

Hold onto your good talent.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Pros

Good people, great culture. Open door policy. Top management team takes surveys / feedback from employees seriously. Fun place to work.

Cons

Communication loss on director level. Looks like the core values that have been set by the company are misinterpreted by some director level employees.

8. "Full tme"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

Nashtronics Trading pvt ltd handling iRobot in India. Small team, Good atmosphere

Cons

Some local people are very annoying

9. "Systems Engineer Intern"

I worked at iRobot full-time

Pros

Awesome people who are fun to talk to and generally don't take things too seriously as long as your work is getting done. The company still has a pretty casual feel to it. Most of the engineers are just people who want to "build cool stuff and make money." Bagel Fridays and occasional beer carts are perks that you don't get at just any company.

Cons

Systems engineering interns are generally employed to run tests. The managers will try to help interns get more interesting work from time to time, but testing comes first. On the other hand, you are getting paid to play with robots...

Advice to Management

I recommend rotating interns through jobs a little bit more. Some interns seem to get more interesting work than others.

10. "Industrial Design intern"

Pros

Good pay, nice people. Get to work on the future of home robots.

Cons

There can be poor communication between teams.

"Great work, great coworkers, mis-guided executives"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is outstanding- very rewarding, very enthralling mechanical work. As a mechanical engineer, you sit on top of the engineering food chain. And there is no short supply of things to do.

Cons

Having worked at several other companies, their pay is stingy- and this is a strategy of the company as a whole: hire young guns and hire them at the upper end of the salary spectrum. Your pay will be frozen until you're frustrated enough to leave, and they then will give you a counter that is massive, to catch you up to the status quo of the level of your work. I was offered a 20k salary bump and a promotion when I put in my notice. It made me upset as their strategy, and practice became evident.

Advice to Management

Colin Angle (the CEO) is a great guy- has great intentions and a great vision when he doesn't listen to the brotherhood of nut-swingers that he likes to surround himself with. He values his employees- the contributors - and will get you help when you need it. Being that approachable as a leader of a company is valuable. And it's a rare quality in today's age. But he needs to stop listening to the men who have no vision, and no direction, and only want to please him so their jobs are safe. He needs to follow his own vision, and listen to healthy counterpoints to it to help evolve it. The senior executive team below him is unreliable for good directive.

Middle management / executive team: pay your talent or get ready for them to leave and help beat down your company's bottom line.