iRobot Reviews | Glassdoor

iRobot Reviews

Updated March 16, 2017

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, and you will be rewarded for getting results regardless of the number of hours you work (in 11 reviews)

• Culture and people, great environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Looks like the core values that have been set by the company are misinterpreted by some director level employees (in 3 reviews)

• I was fortunate to be doing development on a new product, but other software interns got stuck doing support and testing work (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work but like all employers there are pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time

Pros

Good people with good intentions. Fun culture that really believes in engaging with employees outside of the every day job. Tons of events and activites, summer Friday's, really good benefits, new employee community center, new Caf and outdoor patio, New Gym, Volleyball, Basketball, Boot camp, King's bowling, kayaking, running, mountain biking, the list goes on.
    iRobot is a great place to work are there better places of course but there are a ton of worse places to work. The work is demanding and can be extremely rewarding there is an real effort on employee recognition, we are not perfect but the effort is there. Leadership is improving.
    We have had a ton of internal employee movement and growth over the past year.

Cons

Some practices in mgt are dated, and we need to continue to evolve the culture to be more open/collaborative but the cons are area's that are being worked on. Mgt training is improving but yes some mgr's have dated styles or just are not truly equiped to handle the good and bad of being a mgr. Not much of a remote culture and we don't take advantage of having an office in Pasadena, CA.

Advice to Management

Continue to train mgr's, explore hiring remote talent nationally/globally, expand team in CA, and continue the great work that is being done to make iRobot a great place to work don't get complacent we are on the right track to be a great SW Robotics Company

2. "Very impressive engineers. The managers are conventional. The atmosphere and the spaces are quite good."

Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Bedford, MA

Pros

People respect each other, the products are exciting.

Cons

The labs are poor, in my opinion, not enough bench space, instrumentation, materials.

Advice to Management

Go into labs often, stop formalities such as surveys and trendy cliches such as "agile"

3. "Good for the most part"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people.
    Robots are pretty awesome.
    Small teams mean more exposure.

Cons

Occasional lack of communication from senior management and between functional groups.

5. "Great Environment...like working in a Think Tank"

Former Employee - Trainer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Trainer in Bedford, MA

Pros

Flexible work, smart co-workers, cool technologies. Decent pay.

Cons

Small company, not a lot of room for growth.

"Great intern program, but obvious disorganization for levels above "intern""

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering in Bedford, MA
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-great pay
    -flexible hours
    -great environment and culture
    -you get to spend your day surrounded by robots

Cons

-pretty obvious that a lot of the senior staff are just as directionless as the mid-level and entry level engineers.
    -you will not be hired (at all) for an entry level position unless you were previously (or currently) an intern. This was openly stated by management. You could be a valedictorian of your school, and the most they'll offer you is an internship if you haven't already had one with them.
    -very much a "self-starter" attitude at the company, when it comes to problem solving. If you identify a problem, then you should identify the solution, and then just tell the manager in charge of the project your idea - 9/10 they'll say "Good. Do that". This will get you noticed in all the right ways, but it creates an environment of "left hand not knowing what right is doing"
    -the separation between teams is understandable from a 'commercial espionage' stand point, but it hinders a lot of idea generation. You can really only seek out your team mates to bounce ideas off of to troubleshoot.

Advice to Management

Everyone higher than associate is some kind of "Sr. Principal manager". I know they're just titles, but if your employees cannot clearly see the chain of command, then they cannot figure out who to do to for work or to see about the red tape in their way. Play with your management structure, because even from the perspective of an intern, it is obvious that the middle management is an organizational mess.

7. "Great Learning experience"

Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, great people and a fast paced environment.

Cons

Difficult for people who do not have a start up mentatlity

Advice to Management

Great work. Keep it up

"Would of stayed if I could"

Former Intern - Systems Engineering Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Intern - Systems Engineering Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Everyone that works there is there to help you and build a better product. Fun laid back atmosphere but work still gets done. Innovative products, Working on the Defense side helping people change the world and saving lives was pretty cool.

Cons

A lot of disorganization on the project I worked on, Miscommunication constantly causing more work and stress. When shipping robots out for conventions and etc. not given enough time to make sure robot and all accessories were there at times.
    I was there as a contractor then received an internship so I had the grunt work, and never missing a single day of work I had a passion and drive to really learn from iRobot. I tried to get an extension on my internship because I knew there was so much more for me to learn, however I was told because I did not go to a four year institution this would not be possible. I do see great things in the future for iRobot I wish I could have been apart of

Advice to Management

Try to really see how the company works as a whole. Learn from the lowest employee you have working there to your most senior engineer. If you want a company to grow and prosper you have to get out of the office and in the field and the labs and only then will you grow.

9. "Cool Stuff"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent, motivated and collaborative employees.
    Minimal politics. Most employees trying to do the right thing.
    Very cool products that lead in their markets.
    Profitable and huge growth in consumer robotics.
    Great culture and mission. Lots of training, family activities, team building.
    Competitive pay.
    Flexible work arrangements.

Cons

Product plans and priorities change a lot, so engineers sometimes jerked around and creates a lot of inefficiency.
    Too many processes force low value work.
    Lots of management changes & re-organizations.
    Unrealistically aggressive program timelines without sufficient resources causes unnecessary stress and sets teams up for failure. Too many programs planned for available resources.

Advice to Management

Focus more resources on fewer programs. This will improve employee morale, engagement and retention.

10. "Hardware Engineer Co-op for the Advanced Development Team"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer Coop in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer Coop in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with cutting edge technology

Cons

On the military side it is somewhat pro-war.

"Wonderfully innovative company developing products in an exciting new market."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun projects, great history, exciting people!

Cons

Below market compensation, downsizing with reduced government spending.